U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 8,739,516 times
Reputation: 840

Advertisements

socalover: Thank you so much for that post. I was beginning to feel alone. I'm not so much surprised at that someone like Scraper is posting here, but I was surprised that no one really spoke up sooner. You are so right about the school system. I think it's one major factor that's playing a role in our societal decline. We like to think of ourselves as the super-power country, yet other schools around the world are beating us hands down. I'm always embarrassed when I go to a south american country and can't hold a full conversation with someone. Why can't we start teaching our young another language when they are very young? One year of language in highschool is just a waste of time IMHO.

ANAPA: I don't think any place really is heaven. But I do think that some places fit people better. I know that NYC has huge populations of Puerto Ricans among others. I think what probably makes it so great is that that's where everyone first got their start here, and so you have all of these neat little ethnic neighborhoods. I mentioned NYC to my husband last night. We've both always wanted to try life there, but then he said, oh god, the winters. I have to agree. We hate winters in Colo., I think the winters in NYC might push us over the edge! Maybe a visit in the spring time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,441,519 times
Reputation: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
socalover: Thank you so much for that post. I was beginning to feel alone. I'm not so much surprised at that someone like Scraper is posting here, but I was surprised that no one really spoke up sooner. You are so right about the school system. I think it's one major factor that's playing a role in our societal decline. We like to think of ourselves as the super-power country, yet other schools around the world are beating us hands down. I'm always embarrassed when I go to a south american country and can't hold a full conversation with someone. Why can't we start teaching our young another language when they are very young? One year of language in highschool is just a waste of time IMHO.
The school system is primarily in decline because of the decline of the family or the family unit. Of course, popular culture and the smut promoted on television plays a role, but it is secondary. A large percentage of children are now being raised by one parent. This leads to a lot of staying home by themselves time, or not having the proper direction that comes best when a child has a loving mother AND father in the home. With less direction and guidance comes acting out in school for attention, which causes disruptions in the classroom, even for well-adjusted children with two loving parents. This causes a child to get behind, and even a whole classroom to suffer. In districts with high numbers of percentages of children growing up in such a home, the school is bound to be a "failing school". You can throw money at the problem, but it will be all in vain. It won't solve the real issue: the family unit, as well as the cultural values that go along with the family unit.

Why are you embarrassed in South America? You shouldn't be. You're not living in a Spanish speaking or Portuguese speaking country. English has become the de facto international language for business. There's really no reason to learn another language, unless that is something that you're interested in.

I've run into many people from South America that speak poor English. It is a problem with them as long as they live in the states, however, it is not a problem in their home country, unless they want to do business over seas or in another country that doesn't speak their language.

Last edited by Scraper Enthusiast; 07-25-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
spa
 
1 posts, read 1,984 times
Reputation: 10
This is the most segregated city i have lived in. People do not celebrate diversity in any significant way and that icludes the elementary and middle schools. festivals are usually attended by those of that community, without too much interest by others. (denver pow wow, cinquo de mayo, stock show, among others) the largest minority is mexican which i think positively influenes the culture, food and restaurants around. it is difficult to find many culural ethnic events to attend, just a few museums,arts and music venues. there are areas that have more of one or another culture, but it is very separate and i find it to still be quite a racist area. economics plays a part of this as many of the wealthy areas have more white people and the lower income areas have more of the minorities. i was and am very shocked about this coming from the east coast. apart from the lack of an ocean it is the thing i dislike about being here the most. I am in a mixed race relationship and we have to be careful of our safety and are aware of disapproval much of the time. university areas seem to be more in tune with multi culturalism and maybe education is positvely influencing our city, or peraps it is the people who like me come from outside!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
 
1,946 posts, read 4,762,816 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by spa View Post
This is the most segregated city i have lived in. People do not celebrate diversity in any significant way and that icludes the elementary and middle schools. festivals are usually attended by those of that community, without too much interest by others. (denver pow wow, cinquo de mayo, stock show, among others) the largest minority is mexican which i think positively influenes the culture, food and restaurants around. it is difficult to find many culural ethnic events to attend, just a few museums,arts and music venues. there are areas that have more of one or another culture, but it is very separate and i find it to still be quite a racist area. economics plays a part of this as many of the wealthy areas have more white people and the lower income areas have more of the minorities. i was and am very shocked about this coming from the east coast. apart from the lack of an ocean it is the thing i dislike about being here the most. I am in a mixed race relationship and we have to be careful of our safety and are aware of disapproval much of the time. university areas seem to be more in tune with multi culturalism and maybe education is positvely influencing our city, or peraps it is the people who like me come from outside!!
Just in my personal experience in other cities I haven't seen cultural events drawing a very multicultural crowd either. Unless we're talking about St Patrick's Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
 
246 posts, read 357,082 times
Reputation: 640
Really only white people are expected to truly "celebrate diversity", I've don't really see the Chinese in most Chinatowns "celebrating diversity" other than Chinese cultural heritage. I don't typically see the leadership of City of Detroit "celebrating" much diversity other than African American events. I don't see Miami celebrating Nisei or Sansei accomplishments. I think that Denver "celebrates" diversity quite admirably given its predominate makeup of Hispanic (both actual Spanish descendants and Latin American descendants) and White. The city has a growing Asian population and has a long standing African American community. The city has also elected White, Hispanic and African American mayors.

I think the charge against Denver is easy because it is perceived as "majority white", therefore it is required to "celebrate" any and all diversities, while a city like Detroit can "celebrate" its majority and it is given a pass even held up as a model because even though it is over 80% African American, it is considered, "diverse". The debate and expectations beyond tolerance itself should move forward because you can not be truly multicultural society and "celebrate" diversity, if every ethnic minority is not expected to "celebrate" equally and allowed to hold to their own racial bias and even bigotries.

Fortunately Denver does not suffer from much of the ethnic tension that grips many East Coast cities and by and large it is refreshing because racial and ethnic tolerance is not only largely part of the lingua franca, but true cooperative celebration is a hallmark of the 21st century western spirit. An notion where no one is excused for racial biases, but all are expected to come together for the common good, never expecting more a another group than you are willing to give of yourself.

No wonder President Obama has such a fondness for CO and stated how comfortable and welcome he and his family felt in Denver. Why,for the most part, the debate in CO was breathtakinly civil compared to other parts of the country. Where ideas can be discussed, even disagreed on, but where all come together for the most part to make this world a better place. To me that is truly "celebrating diversity" and Denver,while far from perfect, is a great example for the 21st century!

Last edited by Calix; 09-04-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 AM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,859,473 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Really only white people are expected to truly "celebrate diversity", I've don't really see the Chinese in most Chinatowns "celebrating diversity" other than Chinese cultural heritage. I don't typically see the leadership of City of Detroit "celebrating" much diversity other than African American events. I don't see Miami celebrating Nisei or Sansei accomplishments. I think that Denver "celebrates" diversity quite admirably given its predominate makeup of Hispanic (both actual Spanish descendants and Latin American descendants) and White. The city has a growing Asian population and has a long standing African American community. The city has also elected White, Hispanic and African American mayors.

I think the charge against Denver is easy because it is perceived as "majority white", therefore it is required to "celebrate" any and all diversities, while a city like Detroit can "celebrate" its majority and it is given a pass even held up as a model because even though it is over 80% African American, it is considered, "diverse". The debate and expectations beyond tolerance itself should move forward because you can not be truly multicultural society and "celebrate" diversity, if every ethnic minority is not expected to "celebrate" equally and allowed to hold to their own racial bias and even bigotries.

Fortunately Denver does not suffer from much of the ethnic tension that grips many East Coast cities and by and large it is refreshing because racial and ethnic tolerance is not only largely part of the lingua franca, but true cooperative celebration is a hallmark of the 21st century western spirit. An notion where no one is excused for racial biases, but all are expected to come together for the common good, never expecting more a another group than you are willing to give of yourself.

No wonder President Obama has such a fondness for CO and stated how comfortable and welcome he and his family felt in Denver. Why,for the most part, the debate in CO was breathtakinly civil compared to other parts of the country. Where ideas can be discussed, even disagreed on, but where all come together for the most part to make this world a better place. To me that is truly "celebrating diversity" and Denver,while far from perfect, is a great example for the 21st century!
#14 Having Black Friends « Stuff White People Like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Reputation: 33082
Denver is not majority white.

Minorities a majority in Denver - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 25,572,447 times
Reputation: 11309
This crying for diversity is just a bag of insecurities

Each time I hear of people trying to find a certain ethnic community or how receptive a place can be for a person of differing ethnicity, I just laugh.

Integrating oneself into any society is people skill#1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,859,473 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver 50% non-white?

Thoses stats are obviously wrong. Anyone who has been to Denver can see that Denver is much more than half white.

The reason for these stats is that lots of white people wil check the "non white" box, because they have like 1/16 Native American or 1/32 Italian or something like that. These statistics are notorious for being innacurate.

Denver is a very white city for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Stop posting this nonsense. You are starting to sound like a broken record with constantly repeating this old data. The information you are posting is from 2006-2006 with the article date of 2007. Information about Demographics is dynamic and changing. You should check your data first before posting.

Today the population of whites in Denver has increased with the movement of young professionals and empty nesters into the city. The most current data estimates from 2008 gives "White persons not Hispanic" percent in 2008 as 50.9% from the census bureau
Denver County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

These are just estimates but the data you are quoting as .1% difference is not statistically significant to say that the majority is not white---and now it is old data---so forget about it now.

I agree with the previous poster TheCaliforniaBear "Denver is a very white city for sure" I do not need statistics to tell me that. In addition, he is correct about people checking the wrong box with mixed heritages.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-06-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top