Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM

261 posts, read 704,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
yeah, skins. But back then I was a lot younger and into clubbing and the sort and you really saw them there. I remember when they practically took over certain venues, totally decked out in red shoelaces, red belt straps and red suspenders -- the red is to signify the blood they want to bring about or have brung about to their hated minorities. People from the west coast have been moving here ever since I can remember.
Actually a lot of skinheads aren't racist, and the shoelace thing is a myth from what I've heard. A lot of the original skins in England were black, then it got all watered down with neo nazi crap. But, anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Maybe it is hard to "just be friends" in the real world. Seems like a design flaw to me.

I just hope that us white people aren't all racists. It's obvious that some of us are. But is the immigration thing strictly a racist thing or perhaps a political one as well? Wait! Don't answer that. Topic for a very heated thread.

What I'm asking is this: are we the ONLY racists out there? I hope not. If so, we're the problem. And if we're the problem, you are out of luck. That means WE have to change for you to get free.

Get free of it no matter what WE do and you'll be free! Regardless of what WE/THEY/THEM think!

There again; click
here. One of my favorite songs in LA when I was a young bucko in the ghetto!
Who is we? White People?

Everyone is clannish. You ought to know that. Blacks don't like others moving into their communities, too. Haven't you heard of the blacks in south central Los Angeles getting upset that Mexicans were moving into their areas?

Haven't you heard Mestizos claiming that this is their land, and that they are going to take over? Have you heard of the Mexica movement? Are you that naieve to believe that only white people have the natural desire to live amongst their own?

The difference between whites and other non-white groups is that white people are the majority, and have traditionally been the majority. Furthermore, most racial change is occurring in white communities, not the reverse. Therefore, those non-white groups have everything socially and culturally to gain by the area becoming less white, while whites have everything to lose, including the social and emotional attachment to their communities.

Furthermore, since non-white groups have been the minority, and are currently the minority in much of the country, even if whites or other groups were moving into their areas, you wouldn't hear as much about it, as their are hundreds of times more likely that the same is occurring in white areas, so there are more whites talking about it.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM

261 posts, read 704,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post

Therefore, those non-white groups have everything socially and culturally to gain by the area becoming less white, while whites have everything to lose, including the social and emotional attachment to their communities.
I know I would lose all the social and emotional attachment to my community if another Mexican family moved in across the street next to the Mexican family that's already there... I would lose everything. Dude, stop while you're ahead.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
I'm not trying to pick on you Scraper, you seem like a nice person, but I just have one or two points to add...

I moved from Colorado Springs to Atlanta in 2000, stayed for about a year. My first week a my new job, I went out to lunch with a sales rep from another company. She was telling me about how one of her coworkers is a vegetarian, then looked around really quickly and put her hand to her mouth as if she was telling me a secret and in a whispery voice said, "He's black." This had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of her story, but seemed important enough to her that she needed to tell me, even in a professional setting. I know you know what I am talking about. Things like this happen all the time when I'm in the south, and that was only in my first week of being back and is one of the more tame examples I can think of. I could go on and on.

Yes, there are racists out here, but trust me, it's a whole different ball game. Attitudes in the south are shaped by a history that began long before Colorado was a state. Don't even get me started on when I worked in a sheet metal shop back in Greensboro in high school. The n word was like a compulsive tic for the people I worked with. I know it's hard for you to believe, but Colorado just isn't like that, at least not to the same extent.

Anyway, the whole point of my original post is that we are already pretty diverse here, unless diversity means a large black population to you. Just take a cruise down Federal Blvd. if you don't believe me.
Maybe she said, "he's black" because blacks aren't thought of as being vegetarians. On the other hand, there seem to be a greater percentage of whites wanting to go vegan almost in a liberal cliquish sort of way. Her covering her mouth and whispering most likely was done because there were black patrons in the restaurant and she didn't want to offend anyone.

Some of the most overtly racially conscious friends I've known grew up in upstate New York and New Jersey. When I met both, they came to the south with stereotypical views toward this region. Within a few months, they discovered that the homogeneous existence they lived in led them to have a different set of views than in the new place they moved to. Thus, they changed. Their reality changed, so their true nature, expressed in their views, came out.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
You sound like a very nice person. No way are all whites racist, although try to tell me that when I was 16. I'm older and much more mature now, hahaha, and I do think that the racists are in the minority. Although when they get together it's kind of scary.

I also don't think you are the only racists. See Rwanda, Darfur, Sarajevo, and all the other countless evil racist haters who've killed off entire populations.

Your post and Anapa's prove that there are genuinely nice people out there who walk with open minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Maybe it is hard to "just be friends" in the real world. Seems like a design flaw to me.

I just hope that us white people aren't all racists. It's obvious that some of us are. But is the immigration thing strictly a racist thing or perhaps a political one as well? Wait! Don't answer that. Topic for a very heated thread.

What I'm asking is this: are we the ONLY racists out there? I hope not. If so, we're the problem. And if we're the problem, you are out of luck. That means WE have to change for you to get free.

Get free of it no matter what WE do and you'll be free! Regardless of what WE/THEY/THEM think!

There again; click
here. One of my favorite songs in LA when I was a young bucko in the ghetto!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Sorry, I meant the neo-nazi skins, not SHARPs. The info I got regarding the shoelaces came from a moron dressed like that --- he went on and on about the race war, RAHOWA, etc. and how I better be scared. He was definitely racist and proud of it. I get you on the history of skins, I wasn't talking about the old skool thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Actually a lot of skinheads aren't racist, and the shoelace thing is a myth from what I've heard. A lot of the original skins in England were black, then it got all watered down with neo nazi crap. But, anyway...

Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Who is we? White People?

Yeah, white people. It was in response to that over there though.

Everyone is clannish. You ought to know that. I do know that.

Blacks don't like others moving into their communities, too. Haven't you heard of the blacks in south central Los Angeles getting upset that Mexicans were moving into their areas? Yes, I have. I'm glad you brought it up here too, because it seemed relative to the discussion.

Haven't you heard Mestizos claiming that this is their land, and that they are going to take over? Have you heard of the Mexica movement? I used a term like that once in the California thread and got a negative rep because of my "Racist" comment. I was upset!

Are you that naieve to believe that only white people have the natural desire to live amongst their own? No! But keep going. This is good stuff. I was born in Arizona, raised in LA, moved to rural Colorado to at a young age to escape a crazy world in LA in the late 70s and because of busing and because of poverty, etc. I don't think I'm too naive at all. I work in bordertowns across Mexico a lot too. Doing what? Installing floors! How's that for a paradox!

The difference...
There again, all I'm saying is that I agree with alot of this stuff. This is so much better than the sociology class because this real life down on the street! This is where the rubber meets the road.

I don't know about cliques and stuff, but I want to live where people take care of their homes and where there's not so much crime. We in America have still got it pretty good. Otherwise, our population wouldn't be growing with people fighting to get in or trying to get in. Once Alec Baldwin and Sean Penn move out, we'll have a bit more room. I don't mean to get political here, but I think racism and prejudice and all that other stuff is learned. I don't think I had any of it when I was a little kid growing up. I think the bad part of it comes out of fear, the quest for Power and Control. Money! Money helps, but only to a point.

I see people of all creeds, colors, sects, races, etc. here and there that thrive no matter what their external circumstances. We ought to study and focus on that once in a while. That's my whole point, if I had one.

Oh, and I've seen some people achieve these ends to a great extent. They use their artistic ability and sometimes humor. If you want to check out humor along these lines, feel free to check out my Dave Chappel threads in the Entertainment/TV forums. Be careful though, they're Rated-R for sure, but funny and hopefully not offensive when taken in the right context. They are the right context to me because he makes fun of everybody and himself equally.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-23-2008 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
You sound like a very nice person. No way are all whites racist, although try to tell me that when I was 16. I'm older and much more mature now, hahaha, and I do think that the racists are in the minority. Although when they get together it's kind of scary.

I also don't think you are the only racists. See Rwanda, Darfur, Sarajevo, and all the other countless evil racist haters who've killed off entire populations.

Your post and Anapa's prove that there are genuinely nice people out there who walk with open minds.
Thank you! I totally agree with you! What I AM is a good dawg.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM

OOPs, that was Blacksmith's story: Your post made me laugh about the lady whispering "he's black". That type of conversation goes on in the small town I grew up in, my mom is always telling me about it. In fact, where she works, there is a lady there who still calls blacks coloreds. And no one bothers to tell her to ****. She even offended someone by saying we don't operate like YOU people. And she still has her job. Every once in awhile, I see definite "southern" stuff here. But not a lot. Thank god.

And yeah, I do think that most of us want the same thing. I can see why someone would ask about diversity though, I mean, if you are coming from a big city that is predominantly black, you might be concerned about moving to a very white town that is not very open to others. Which I don't think Denver is much like that. Most of us just want a clean, safe neighborhood.

Scraper's comment (not talking to you anymore Scraper, nanny nanny boo boo) about white's having everything to lose sure sounds in a certain vein. I'm sure I don't have to say what vein it sounds like. Think RAHOWA. Stupid stuff.

By the way, did you know that WE took away 50% of Mexico's land, including Colorado? So it kind of is their land. Or was. Now the great emperial USA owns it. The rest was native americans. So I guess we've pretty much bull-dozed our way in. Nice.

But to agree with Dog, yep, we have it luxurious here. Have you seen their "malls" in Haiti? yikes. Makes Target look like Saks.

Last edited by DenverLawGal; 07-23-2008 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM

I don't know if that was my story, so I'll shed one here;

When we lived in Denver, my mom was really good friends with this ah...um black lady (is this ok?) and she was really nice. She was my girlfriend, even though she didn't know it! She was hot! But she was, or let's just say I was too young for her. I was once reading or trying to read this Dianetics book when going to college. She said, McGowdog, put that darn book down now! Go out and meet some chicks and go have some fun! She complimented me further, and I wagged my tail!

Anyway, my stupid dad came in this one time while trying to mow the lawn...the older you get, the smarter you get. You lose your ability to fix things so you don't have to do it...and he said infront of our friend, "I had to bleeprig this thing." Then he turned red. Then he said, "Oh...I'm sorry." Then my girlfriend said, "That's ok McGowdog Sr, that's mighty white of you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver