U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM

36 posts, read 131,636 times
Default Thinking of Denver area or Raleigh from Phoenix?

My husband and I have 2 small boys and are looking to get out of this horrid Phoenix heat..We have been to NC 2x and just love it..We are also looking into the Denver area. So far, Ive kind of researched Broomfield, then Highlands Ranch. I love the idea of 4 seasons..Just like the idea that Raleigh doesnt get as cold as Denver. But, wouldnt enjoy the humidity in the summer as much. Im originally from NJ, my husband from England..Just wondering if anyone has some advice?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 PM

396 posts, read 1,302,154 times
If u cannot take the heat of Phoenix, which is a dry heat.......chances are u won't be able to handle the humid heat here in NC...... Just my opinion! Esp when it sounds like u are trying to get away from the heat.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM

8,549 posts, read 18,581,271 times
Highlands Ranch is a great place to raise children. today's humidity is 4%! Douglas County schools are highly rated by the state, and HR is a community with 4 recreation centers, outdoor pools, parks, bike paths...light rail opens on the southeast side in November. 5th graders ski free.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 42,603 times
Wink If you choose Denver...

If you are considering the Denver area, I would definitely choose Douglas County. I live in Parker, and that is a very kid-oriented area. The schools are fantastic (I am a teacher in one!) Broomfield has some nice areas, but also some bad areas. Denver is not very cold in the winter. There is a lot of snow in the mountains, but little by us. Although it's great to go skiing in that snow! I'm not sure you will beat the heat in the summer. This week there have been several 95 degree and above days. Due to the altitude, you really feel it pound on you, and drought is always an issue.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:12 PM

36 posts, read 131,636 times
Yes, I did hear that it gets pretty warm in Denver in the summers. Well, 95 doesnt sound as bad as 110-115! So, I think after you have lived through a few summers in Phoenix, you should be able to handle heat. I lived in Vegas too! Does the Denver area have a distinct Fall and Spring? I just love, love the Fall! Thanks!! Jen

Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM

287 posts, read 25,628 times
there is not a lot of comparison between denver and phoenix, except both are considered western cities. I long for phoenix in the winter. I have lived there before.
I live in Denver now. I have been to north carolina many times. I prefer the open
space and the panorama of landscape of colorado to the tight terrian of north carolina.
After a while in north carolina I start feeling clostrophobic. But the fact that you are both from the northeast originally is a factor to consider. I personally do not mind humidity. I like to sweat in the summer. It feels good. I am originally from Illinois.
I think you will get four seasons in raleigh, too. It might be more subtle, but nonetheless. I think Colorado is beautiful in the winter. All the trees are bare,
which allows you to see the entire landscape. The white topped mountains are always
present. We also have a lot of farmland in Colorado, which I love. It's a tough call between the two. I think the more advice you summon, the more confused and
aggitated you will become. Good luck.
ps.. oh yeah, it can get hot some days in Denver, but no matter how hot it gets
in the summer, you can ALMOST always count on a dry storm kicking up in the
later afternoon blocking the hot sun. By evening the temperatures plummet
because of our elevation. It is never warm at night.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:26 PM

68,877 posts, read 57,658,956 times
A distinct fall and spring? Well, more of a fall than a spring. Though obviously it is warmer in May than in Jan, MOST days. My daughter put it this way once: we have two seasons here - almost summer and almost winter. That is a good assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver