U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 38,942 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are currently living in Naperville Illinois - suburbs of Chicago...
I am a sugical nurse, my wife is a family medicine physician.
We have two kids 18 months and 5 years old.
We are tired of Chicago weather.
We are tired of driving for four to five hours to be able to enjoy outdoors.
We are looking for good safe area to move with the family..
Good public schools..
We have chosen the Denver area because of Polish community in there (we are both born in Poland)
We would be looking to buy a house ~ $500000.00
We have heard that the property taxes are low???
I am supporter of the Second Ammendment, I do own a lot of firearms I love'm and use them for hunting and shooting.
We love outdoors..camping ...four wheeling...fishing..travel..
I do enjoy water???are there any lakes???

How is to practice medicine in Colorado/Denver ??
Are people gun friendly???
Are there good public schools?

We would appreciate any tips suggestions, experiences..etc etc

CHRIS
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,165,370 times
I never thought that the Denver area had many Polish ethnic people. I grew up near Buffalo, near a predominate Polish area and I know Chicago has many immigrants. I have been here 30 years and I have noticed the Polish Club on Alameda but I never had the impression of any influence of a Polish neighborhood. That to me was strange because I was aware that that there were many Polish immigrants that settled in Globeville--but that is distant from the Polish Club. Denver does not have the strict boundaries of ethnic neighborhoods, as you see in older eastern cities.

Recently, I read an article in the local paper about the resurgence of the Polish Church in Globeville because of more recent immigrants. In addition, I have heard Polish spoken in some groceries in North Denver. It is really interesting as I think more immigration to Denver will help the diversity and add to the culture.

Obviously with your financial abilities, you can work live anywhere and you talents would be in demand. However, you are probably aware of the Polish areas in Denver. The areas in Globeville and the area on West Alameda, near the Polish Club, are not the best areas for a family of young professionals. The schools systems, in the immediate area would not be the best, unless you enrolled your children in a Catholic Elementary School. I went to a Catholic Elementary School staffed by Polish Felician nuns.

Yes, this area is very gun friendly as it is the culture of the west and hunting is a strongly sponsored activity by the State for revenue. Concealed weapon carry is legal with a permit. Recently enacted State Law requires equal and non-descriminating approval requirements, for all counties. It was feared that there would be a big demand for these permits but that did not occur.

You must already realize that most of the Front Range of Denver does not have the severe cold as the Great Lake States. However, there are times when it can get severe and many mountain areas are much worse.

Livecontent

Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Thank you very much for your reply,

I have never been aware of a large Polish community in Denver, however just recently I have learned that somwhere down town Denver there is a church holding
weekly mass in Polish as well as providing a sunday Polish school , there are couple of Polish Delis ...and that is what we are looking for ..having the access not necessarily being right there..

We have been told that in general the southern suburbs starting with southern part of Aurora down are pretty decent ..Castle Rock down to Colorado Springs...???
I have heard also that some of the northern suburban towns have one of the best public school system in the country???

The climate is to be milder, sunnier....better
The property taxes...
Naperville which is in DuPage County has one of the lower property taxes in the Chicagoland even though for a half a million house the taxes alone would be at least $10000.00 which is to me rediculous...and people pay much more which is a bit crazy..
I know I would be trading the leaves for needles, maybe lakes for rivers...
We do not have the concealed carry in Illinois as one of the two states in the Union..

I know we have to learn more about the medical practice in the State of Colorado..

Schools are very important to us...
Nice suburbs within 1 hour of down town would be perfect..

Chris

Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM

355 posts, read 487,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbysiu23 View Post
Hi, we are currently living in Naperville Illinois - suburbs of Chicago...
I am a sugical nurse, my wife is a family medicine physician.
We have two kids 18 months and 5 years old.
We are tired of Chicago weather.
We are tired of driving for four to five hours to be able to enjoy outdoors.
We are looking for good safe area to move with the family..
Good public schools..
We have chosen the Denver area because of Polish community in there (we are both born in Poland)
We would be looking to buy a house ~ $500000.00
We have heard that the property taxes are low???
I am supporter of the Second Ammendment, I do own a lot of firearms I love'm and use them for hunting and shooting.
We love outdoors..camping ...four wheeling...fishing..travel..
I do enjoy water???are there any lakes???

How is to practice medicine in Colorado/Denver ??
Are people gun friendly???
Are there good public schools?

We would appreciate any tips suggestions, experiences..etc etc

CHRIS
I have a friend from Chicago, our kids went to school together. I have another friend who is from Poland. She has a group from Poland she goes camping with. The public schools are awesome for the most part, but you need to do some research. People can be a little sensitive about guns because of Columbine, but for the most part no one cares if you own guns. Well...lakes? My friends from your area call our lakes puddles or ponds

Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks,
I do appreciate the response...
Any particular schools or school districts that you have had in mind???
I would be grateful for any suggestions..
We do enjoy camping as well so that is great..
Thanks again

Old 10-20-2008, 12:21 PM

355 posts, read 487,093 times
Cherry Creek, Littleton, Douglas County, Jefferson County, These are districts I am familiar with. They are all on either the south or west side of town. My polish friend lives in Broomfield which is near Boulder, but we really haven't talked about the schools there. I do know they have a good reputation. I don't know how to do links here but there is a website called schoolperformancemaps that shows all of the ratings by school. My kids went to Littleton schools. I have family that have kids in the others. One goes to a private school.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,028,691 times
The better districts generally are in the southern(west and east) suburbs. Districts like Cherry Creek, Douglas County, etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM

Thank you so very much..

I do appreciate every little bit of info..it would allow me to narrow the search area and maybe plan a trip to see with my own eyes..

Please do not stop....I would take any tips
Thanks Chris

Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM

61 posts, read 201,873 times
You can only move here if you bring me glumpkes! My mother-in-law is polish but lives in Michigan so I rarely get them.

Please bring some!

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM

You have got it! (any particular sauce??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or