U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM

75 posts, read 275,999 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Denver next week from Grand Rapids, MI and have a few questions about what are the best steps for getting my car registered in CO. In researching the information on the DMV site, I gather that I would need to do the following:

1. Get an emissions test. I drive a 2006 Corolla
2. After the emissions test, go to the DMV to get my title transferred from MI to CO and also pay for taxes, registration, and license plates
3. Surrender my MI Drivers license and get a CO license...or can I wait on this until my MI drivers license expires?

If the above steps are not accurate, I'm hoping y'all can correct me. The DMV mentioned that I have to wait 90 days after becoming a resident of CO to do this; however will be going back to work on 11/6 and would like to get this done before that time. Has anyone run into issues with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM

386 posts, read 602,695 times
After the emissions test and before changing your registration, you'll need to get a Colorado insurance policy. Other than that, that's about right.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 PM

34 posts, read 169,275 times
Plates here are a LOT more than Michigan. My 2006 F150 would have been $160 in MI last year, cost me $400 here.

Never cars are pricy, but the price declines steeply the older the car or truck (they use different scales). Based roughly on MSRP.

Adams County website can give you a rough estimate.

"http://co.adams.co.us/index.cfm?d=standard&b=1&c=9&s=21&p=815"

As far as driver license, $21. Bring your STATE issued birth certificite, as a MI driver license is NOT proof of legal presence for Colorado.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM

34 posts, read 169,275 times
The good news is your insurance should be about half the price here.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM

64 posts, read 189,041 times
Having moved here in July from MI, we just did this. You also need to get a Vehicle Identification Verification done at the emissions place.

Now, as far as the emissions test, it states that new gas powered vehicles are exempt for 4 model years so I would check into that.

I paid $76 for a 2002 Dodge Dakota in MI. Here in CO, $133 plus the emisions and VIN Verification. I am afraid to see the price for my 2008 Town & Country.

Vehicle insurance for 2 cars and Home rental insurance altogether is about $20 less a month than just the 2 vehicle insurance in MI.

Good luck,

~C~

Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM

181 posts, read 520,563 times
You'll need to get a license much sooner than that.

Colorado Department of Revenue

says

If you are a Colorado resident who operates a motor vehicle or motorcycle on public streets and highways in Colorado, you must have the appropriate valid Driver's License. A resident is defined as a citizen who has lived in Colorado for 90 continuous days; or upon becoming employed, whichever occurs first.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM

75 posts, read 275,999 times
Is how they calculate the fees for plates based on the county of residence or is this a state mandate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or