U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-26-2008, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 7,489 times
Default Denver or Springs?

Ok, first post here so look past any rambling , I'll try and make this simple and painless. I currently live in FL and am ready to make the move to CO this summer. Im torn between Denver and Springs as to which would be a better place for a single mother making roughly $30k. Obviously Im wanting a low crime area, affordable housing (rent to start off), and good schools. I come from an area where there really isnt any, and i mean ANYthing to do. Besides the beach (bored with that after 25 yrs) restaurants, bars and a cheesy zoo. So someplace where there "things" such as museums, parks, music venues, festivals, etc. would be great. Also, seeing as I am the dreaded "single" gal, how is the ratio/men/dating situation up there? ANy inforamtion would be greatly appreciated. My plan is to pack up a uhaul and go with no job in line. Risky i know, but like in the past, my attempts to find work while living out of state has never panned out. So im taking a leap of faith here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-26-2008, 11:17 AM

7,092 posts, read 6,437,707 times
My experience is that Colorado Springs has a higher quality housing that is more affordable with better schools. However, there is more to do in Denver and I think it's much easier to find a job there.

Unread 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM

2,755 posts, read 7,934,831 times
I'd search for jobs in both places and see which one turns up better opportunities. Both cities are experiencing downturns in their economies so you can't be too picky. Colorado Springs is much more affordable but usually job salaries reflect that, so call that a wash.

Unread 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM

60 posts, read 100,574 times
I recently visited both areas for the first time. The Springs seemed to be a bit more spread out and rural, compared to Denver. I'd imagine you'd do well there if you like a smaller city feel. If you prefer more city life definitely go with Denver. Springs might be a good place to live if you were married and settled- at least that was my opinion. As for dating, I think you'd have more opportunities in the Denver area. Finally- i thought the Springs are was prettier than Denver, seemed to be more green, and you can see pike's peak which was kind of cool.

Unread 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM

386 posts, read 392,238 times
It depends on what you're into, culturally.

$30k will stretch further in Colorado Springs than in Denver, especially if you're on the southeast side of the Springs. It's a nice town with friendly people, lots of amenities for families, and reasonable traffic. However, Colorado Springs has, in the past 30 or so years, become a hotbed of cultural and religious conservatism. While most of Colorado is more "live-and-let-live" in its variety of conservatism, Colorado Springs is decidedly moralist and even close-minded, in my opinion. You might even raise some eyebrows for being a single parent in Colorado Springs -- it's culturally in the 1600s.

Denver has more cultural amenities and is more open-minded. Your dating prospects will be much better in Denver simply because there are a lot of single people who enjoy the vibrancy and culture of a bigger town. However, your money won't go as far in Denver and you'll have to worry more about things like traffic and crime.

So it really depends what you're after. I hope this helps.

Unread 10-29-2008, 08:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,711,272 times
Do you love Jesus, hate black, hispanic and gays? Colorado Springs is for you!

Seriously, I wish it was not like that -- but if you dig into the details no matter how much you argue with the above statement, it is true. CS is the land of intollerance and bigotry.

Denver? Well you can find that too but you have more to work with.

Unread 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM

2,755 posts, read 7,934,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Do you love Jesus, hate black, hispanic and gays? Colorado Springs is for you!
I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think the whole religious fundamentalist thing in COS is overblown. True, Colorado Springs does have a conservative streak, and no doubt there are quite a few gay-bashers and religious fundies down there.

However, the same thing could be said of Metro Denver south of Belleview. I looked this up the other day, and Douglas County (Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Parker) has consistently been more lopsidedly GOP in both registration and and voting than El Paso County ever has. Yet, where are all the posts which talk about gay-bashing, religious fundamentalist Highlands Ranch or Parker? Believe me, the religious fundies are there in equal or greater numbers than the Springs.

I think that people in Denver tend to buy into this stereotype of Colorado Springs that it's all a bunch of bible-thumpers. Yes, the thumpers are there, and no doubt thumper-in-chief Dobson has done some to gather his minions to him. So, it's a stereotype with a grain of truth, but frankly I think the numbers simply don't support the idea that COS is any more conservative than your typical red-state suburbia. What's more, I think this trend of being a bastion social conservatism is already well past its prime and on a steep decline.

Dobson is an elderly guy, and although I hate to ever wish harm on anyone, Colorado Springs will be way better off when he's out of the picture. With Haggard already packed off into the sunset, that means that Colorado Springs will be left without any religious figure that's a household name. Dobson's continuous stream of outrageous statements is, I think, mainly responsible for Colorado Springs' black eye in this area, and I'm sure that many down there eagerly await the day when they won't have to explain the statements of the city's most notorious resident.

Unread 10-31-2008, 04:42 PM

7,092 posts, read 6,437,707 times
Colorado Springs shouldn't be judged for what Focus on the Family does, they are the source of the fundamentalist screaming. You have a vocal minority spewing crap over a silent majority. If a rock came down from the sky and squished them, I think the world would be better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Do you love Jesus, hate black, Hispanic and gays? Colorado Springs is for you!

Seriously, I wish it was not like that -- but if you dig into the details no matter how much you argue with the above statement, it is true. CS is the land of intolerance and bigotry.
Hate crap like that comment is just as bad. I would hope no one judges Denver intolerant and bigoted because of this lone nuts comments as he has of Colorado Springs because of this crazy group.

Unread 10-31-2008, 06:01 PM

46 posts, read 123,717 times
Colorado Springs is very boring, but the housing there is pretty affordable. Also Denver is only 45-60 minutes away and Denver always has something going on. Denver guy to gal ratio is pretty even last time I checked. Downtown Denver has an amazing night life. Denver does have more crime then Colorado Springs, but every major city does. I would go with Denver, You can get a decent one bedroom apartment in a decent area for 600 give or take.

Unread 10-31-2008, 09:54 PM

386 posts, read 392,238 times
tfox is right. Colorado Springs' social conservatism is a bit overblown, although it's definitely there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver