Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 AM

75 posts, read 303,722 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to Denver from MI and will be looking to get my car registered in the next couple of days. I'm familar with the steps needed to get the car registered; however I had heard from someone that you have to have a Colorado ID before you can get the emissions test / VIN verification done (I was going to go to an Air Care Colorado station to get this done). Do I need to first go to get my CO drivers license first before I get the emissions test / VIN verification done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM

64 posts, read 214,797 times
My husband still uses his MI drivers license and he did the emissions and Vin verification. I do believe that you have to have a CO drivers license to register/plate the vehicle. I have a CO license as my MI expired a couple of weeks ago. The amount is crazy compared to MI. Hope this helps.

~C~

Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,275 times
Why not search for yourself? Denvergov.org.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
I don't think you need an ID for the emissions test. I don't even remember showing proof of insurance.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
I had my prior emissions test done at jiffy lube, don't remember showing my driver's license, I have CO, but you can call them to check. I also thought you no longer needed an emissions test in CO??? I did it 3 yrs ago. call jiffy lube and ask them what they need to do your test. This is if they even still do it! good luck!
of course, you can always call the dmv and ask them for the official info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
I just recently moved to Denver from MI and will be looking to get my car registered in the next couple of days. I'm familar with the steps needed to get the car registered; however I had heard from someone that you have to have a Colorado ID before you can get the emissions test / VIN verification done (I was going to go to an Air Care Colorado station to get this done). Do I need to first go to get my CO drivers license first before I get the emissions test / VIN verification done?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM

No, you still need emissions. They've gotten better though and set up those vans you see that say, you are good on your polution output or you are bad! That data is sent to the DMV and if your car goes by one, you get to skip emissions. There are also rules for newer cars vs. older cars. I didn't know you could do this at Jiffy Lube. I thought the only official tests were from Air Care Colorado.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 AM

Hmmm...I got a notice that I no longer needed to do an emissions test? my car is registered and plated in CO, and I have a CO id. Every time I renew at the DMV, they never ask me for an emissions in the past 3 years.
Of course I don't mind, since getting that was a kind of pain before.
I'll have to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
No, you still need emissions. They've gotten better though and set up those vans you see that say, you are good on your polution output or you are bad! That data is sent to the DMV and if your car goes by one, you get to skip emissions. There are also rules for newer cars vs. older cars. I didn't know you could do this at Jiffy Lube. I thought the only official tests were from Air Care Colorado.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM

hey wtme! I called aircare, I mis-wrote that I got my emissions at jiffy lube, I meant they did my VIN inspection for my emissions in 2005, and since my car is registered in El Paso County, CO, as of 2006 they no longer require emissions testing for gas powered vehicles. that's why I got that notice and have no longer had to do it. once I register in a Denver county when I move, I guess that will change .

Quote:

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Like I said, if you see one of those trucks (w/ an electronic sign that gauges your car's output) you might be in luck. I lucked out last year and didn't have to get an emissions. When the DMV maisl you your registration card, it'll tell you if you are required to get one. I think you can also just call them and they'll tell you. Also, I think the first time you come to Denver you have to do it regardless, or if you buy a new (or newer) car. Otherwise it's supposed to be every other year.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM

It's been nice not having to do the test for a long time! my registration cards have stated "emissions no longer reguired" right at the bottom, and they sent me a formal notice in 2005 or 2006 I guess. But I can handle every 2 years I suppose!

Quote:
Like I said, if you see one of those trucks (w/ an electronic sign that gauges your car's output) you might be in luck. I lucked out last year and didn't have to get an emissions. When the DMV maisl you your registration card, it'll tell you if you are required to get one. I think you can also just call them and they'll tell you. Also, I think the first time you come to Denver you have to do it regardless, or if you buy a new (or newer) car. Otherwise it's supposed to be every other year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: