Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 PM

15 posts, read 49,899 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a job in Golden. We need to find an apartment for ourselves & our big yellow lab STAT.

We're not huge fans of a "small town" feel. We love the burbs (reasonably close to downtown areas for fun nights out). I NEED a SuperTarget, things like organic grocery stores & big box shopping. Starbucks, Walgreens, nice gyms, local pet supply shops, etc. Just trying to give you an idea of what we're looking for.

We do like SOME character though. I love big trees. I hate wind. We're early 20-s, just out of college, starting our first jobs.

We like fairly new areas that don't feel retirement-y. Young families is kinda what we're looking for in an area.

From what I saw of Golden, it was definitely a smaller-town feel - at least in the area we were (near NREL). Are there different areas of Golden?

What should we be looking for? I'd rather not be suuuuper west since I don't know yet in which area of Denver I'll be working.

Please give me the lowdown on these areas (or any other suggestions!).

The reason I'm hesitant about Lakewood is because I've heard it's a little older with more ranch-style homes, etc. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all of your help! We're in a time crunch here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,939,065 times
I think most people prefer Golden, but part of that is because most of town is a bit secluded from metro Denver by the table mountains (perhaps you don't like that). It does have a nice historic section and the college (CSM). For all these reasons, it's known for being fairly expensive. The southeast portion of Golden does blend into western lakewood.

Lakewood (and really anywhere in JeffCo) is going to be mostly older homes, though not entirely. There is a brand new development in Lakewood called Solterra that you can look into, but it does have a significant disadvantage of outrageously high property taxes. However, in western lakewood there are some other neighborhoods that are fairly new (1990s) You might also look into western Arvada -- that is also convenient to Golden and I think there are some newer areas there as well. Golden itself does have some new-ish developments as well, if you can afford them.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

264 posts, read 1,387,460 times
Check out western Arvada. We live near I-70, have a Super Target down the street, our apartments are nice and take dogs - oh, and they do short-term leases. If you PM me, I can give you the name of our complex & you can check it out on line. Lots of trees where we are. Quick commute into the city if you need, as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

264 posts, read 1,387,460 times
Oh, and...there's not too much shopping, clothes-wise, but there are numerous Walgreens, a Sunflower market, Vitamin Cottage natural market, (I've heard there's a Sprouts market nearby, but I haven't seen it yet). The Apex Center is a fabulous rec. center, there is a YMCA, a Costco, and PetSmart. Off-leash dog park is here - it's huge. Most of the Starbucks are drive-through, and we have two within a mile of each other (big surprise, I know!).
Arvada does seem to have a mix of families/older folks, but there are certainly plenty of kids around.
OK, I'm off to Super Target - again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver