Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 AM

62 posts, read 316,124 times

Advertisements

Lately in the early mornings and in the afternoons I have been hearing scraping sounds in the attic or on the roof. Similar to a hanger scraping the wall I suppose. Having seen
Squirrel's jump from the tree to the roof of my town home I have a feeling I know who is up there. I have been fighting with my HOA about that tree for 5 months now, they won't sign the papers to let me have it trimmed at my own expense and they wont trim it themselves like it says in the contract.
So my question is this, has anyone dealt with
Squirrel problems in Denver before? Do you know of a reputable reasonably priced pest removal company?
Thank you in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
I'm not in Denver, but one thing I learned from a herpatologist (sp?): Moth balls are pretty much anit-critter. They hate the smell. If you put them in your attic, you probably won't smell them if you put a few out. Maybe you could put some in the tree somehow? Surely you would be allowed to trim some of the branches to keep them from ruining your roof material.

I spread mothballs around the outside of my property to keep the snakes and frogs out of my pool.
Good luck.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 11-17-2008 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
We had squirrels in our attic. My son figured out where they were getting in, and we were able to fix it, but first we had a situation.
It was a mother squirrel with babies. We had to let the babies grow up for a few weeks, listening to them scampering about (they were quiet at night, thank goodnes.)
Then the guy came, humanely trapped each and every one in a single day, and took them way out south of town somewhere.
We used Able Pest Control

Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,228,258 times
Yeah, I am in the city park area. I just moved into an old Victorian house that they converted into 3 units. They have also had squirrels in the attic apartment. She had babies too. I guess it is a seasonal problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I have numerous squirrels scampering over my roof and as long as there is no entrance to the attic---there is no problem. I like my little friends. They are fun to watch, playing from tree to tree. Their talk can be heard when a cat wanders in my yard. I spy them observing me through the windows from the trees; sometimes they come down to greet me when I come home. I do not feed them; they do no harm. So what is the issue???? You have a tree, and squirrels live in a tree---that is a joy of life. Just accept and
Livecontent

Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Tree rats.

I never had an issue with Squirrels until a few years ago when they began urinating and defecating on our deck railing, grill, toys etc. They also took a liking to our garden, but who can fault them for that, so did the occassional bum and that feces was much nastier to clean up.

You can call a pest control company that will charge you an arm and a leg to trap them, buy some traps yourself (~50 bucks) or buy an airgun (.22 if possible with the hollow point tips) and go hunting in your yard.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
You can call a pest control company that will charge you an arm and a leg to trap them, buy some traps yourself (~50 bucks) or buy an airgun (.22 if possible with the hollow point tips) and go hunting in your yard.

Or CB's or .22 shorts.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
I'm with you on the 22 shorts, but that is a real round and as such to fire around other people you have to take measures.

A .22 air rifle is quiet. I mentioned the earlier hollow point air rifle round only because I made the error of using a target pellet once due to circumstances and while I had a clear headshot -- it went in one end and out the other thus turning the squirrel into a zombie for a good 2 minutes. Not what you want in the least. Picture someone chasing the squirrel around with a shovel in the snow while it zig zags .......

My best day was an assembly line of tree rat death -- knock one off the garage roof only to have it replaced 30 seconds later by another investigating what occcured. In the end we had what the neighbors called a "dead zone" for squirrels and no one, not even those who claimed to be against such barbarism complained about the results.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,356 times
We did lots of research when this happened to us and we found that this company had the best prices/Reviews we looked on angies list, we checked tom martino's site and the bbb. they got out here quick, gave us a free estimate and got the job done without trying to sell us on a long term contract.
Wildlife Removal Denver Aurora Boulder Castle Rock - EnviroCritter
they're phone # is 720-295-7378
The owner's name is Jake and he is a very nice fellow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver