U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,404 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, great forum y'all have, found a lot of good info out of the searches.

Just moved to Aurora from the St. Louis area this week (moved in Wednesday). We're set up at The Breakers, and still trying to get our routine set. Wife and I are late-20s, married, childless, and trying to find some decent nightlife halfway close by. We wound up at Gibby's on Havana last night, then tried the Naughty Prince, and finally wound up at the bar inside The Breakers itself. I know the area we're in is pretty suburban, but is there anything bar-wise that's not a sports bar in the area? When we lived in STL, we'd often hit the Central West End and their old-style Pubs, or Washington Avenue for the more upscale (LoDo-type scene).

Is taking the train from the Parker/225 stop to Downtown effective or worthwhile? How late does it run?

Finally, we're dog people, (one of the main reasons we wound up at The Breakers). Their 'dog park' leaves a bit to be desired, so I'm trying to figure out some leashless areas that are fairly close (kind of a PITA to pack up the dog and drive 30 minutes just to let him run around).

TIA, JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,320,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _JK_ View Post
Is taking the train from the Parker/225 stop to Downtown effective or worthwhile? How late does it run?
The trains are definitely effective, and worthwhile.

You could get off at Auraria, and take a bus down Colfax to Capitol Hill, or take the train to 18th/California and walk to Uptown or LoDo.

The sucky thing is, to get home, you'd have to be at any of the downtown stations between 1-130am.

Or you could take a cab or maybe a bus.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
I live near the Breakers and I take my dogs to the dog park in Stapleton. It's roughly at Montview and Syracuse, just north of the tennis courts. I like it because it's fenced in, large, and there are usually a lot of people around.

One of my neighbors takes her dog to Cherry Creek State Park, but I haven't been there myself. I don't know if there is a fenced in area, but her dog listens a lot better than mine do, so mine need the fence.

As far as nightlife goes, I usually head over to downtown or Broadway, so I'm not really up on what's available on this end of town. It's not a long bus ride (83L). You can drive to Parker/225 and take the light rail, but it sort of runs southwest before it turns to go toward downtown, so even though I haven't tried it myself, I always figure it will take longer than the bus or simply driving to one of the other stations (I like DU station).

Hope this helps!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,296,002 times
The Bull and Bush, Uptown Tavern at Lowry, College Inn and the Cherry Cricket are all fairly close (within 5 miles). E Colfax West of Colorado has a lot of options.

As for dog parks when we lived on that side of town we used to go to the Stapleton dog park. The best dog park I've been to in Denver is at Chatfield reservoir. If your dog likes to swim you will love it. Here's a list of area dog parks. http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogfun/colorado.html

Last edited by Dorthy; 11-30-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM

21,846 posts, read 23,073,284 times
Cherry Creek dog park for sure. Right off Parker Road and Orchard.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 PM

21,846 posts, read 23,073,284 times
Also - haven't been in my 20s and childless in many a moon however, I believe there are some "non sports bars" in the Greenwood Village area. if for some reason you were not wanting to go downtown. Cool River comes to mind...there are little pockets of interesting places to try once you're settled in - just really depends on what you are looking for "bar scene" (LoDo's in HR) or older neighborhoods with more character for more of a coffee-house type experience (the Highlands has some neat areas like this).

Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I live near the Breakers and I take my dogs to the dog park in Stapleton. It's roughly at Montview and Syracuse, just north of the tennis courts. I like it because it's fenced in, large, and there are usually a lot of people around.

Hope this helps!
Took the mutt up there last weekend, very nice place! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or