U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM

441 posts, read 1,008,311 times
Default Pros and Cons of Living in Denver

I am a 20 year old college student who is graduating May of 2010 with a degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Management and a minor in Psychology. I'm currently looking at places where I want to live and work after graduation. What are some of the good and bad things about Denver? What does Denver have to offer a recent college graduate student who loves shopping, roller blading, amusement parks, theatre, good food, etc.? I'm not a clubber and I don't drink alcohol so I'm not interested in bars or anything like that. What is the weather like in Denver and what would be a good place for an apartment? What about Crime? What areas of Denver would be good to look for an apartment? Any advice you could give would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM

19 posts, read 50,984 times
if you use the "search" option, you will find answers to a lot of your questions. you don't have to worry about opportunities to shop & roller blade & stuff. i think it'll help once you decide on specific areas. are you looking for something urban, in the city, or more suburban?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,913,070 times
I'm going to sound crotchety and old here (and wonder where the last 15 years went) but first and foremost I'd be concerned with the job climate. Denver could be the best place to live in America but if you can't find a decent job all the scenery in the world isn't going to make you happy.

The entire Front Range of Colorado is a great place to live. Lots of sunshine, mild seasons year 'round and outdoor activities abound.

Cons? Well for one, everyone else and their dog wants to live in Colorado and the traffic is a nightmare from Fort Collins all the way to Colorado Springs and beyond. Is it Southern California or NYC bad? No, but it's no walk in the park, either.

Housing - while the prices have come down, homes in Colorado are still _ridiculously_ overpriced (compared to where I currently am). If you're planning to rent an apartment this may not be a big deal to you, but when and if you decide to buy expect to plunk down a decent chunk of change.

Vehicle registration. A portion of the registration fee is based on the car's taxable value. A brand new car can easily cost $200 or more to register.

I would do a cost-of-living comparison between Denver and where you're presently located so there is no sticker shock. I'd also plan a one or two week trip to Denver to see if it's for you.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM

69,130 posts, read 58,222,176 times
^^^I think the suggestion to visit is the best I've heard yet. I'd also agree with doing a search; you will find a lot of your questions have already been covered. You will also be able to ask follow-up questions more intelligently.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM

164 posts, read 357,956 times
Well, you're 20 years old and should be making off-the cuff decisions now so there's less regrets later. Besides, coming to live in a total city like Denver means you WILL find something to fit your interests, and you'll for sure develop some new interests based on living in a new town and meeting new people. You're at a perfect juncture to make a good move like this, and you won't go wrong with Denver.

But seriously, there's plenty to like and much to dislike. Shopping, rollerblading, and an amuesment park are all within walking distance if you live near downtown. If you like city living it's probably pretty similar to most others; unless there's some aspect that you can't live without (ocean beach or a subway) then it'd be easy to find a place to fit in. Besides, finding out new things about yourself that come with a change of scenery is one of the great and unexpected benefits of living life.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,380 times
Denver:

Pros
1.Affordable
2. Outdoor activités (as long as you have hours to devote to that)
3. Lots of microbreweries
4. Pot legal
5. Produce can be good (and cheap)

Cons
Unless you're a snowboarding/skiing person or a stoner or otherwise disinterested in conventional success, Denver sucks.

1. the fashion is lame (if you can even call it fashion)people go out in sweats and workout gear which is cool for a while and then it's really boring an frustrating
2. it's not as affordable as it used to be
3. you have to get up at 3:00 am if you want to hike a 14er (or hike anything substantial really)
4. Lightening stokes kill
5. Occasional tornado
6. The type of people you meet will be... well, you'll see.
7. Food sucks- people love terrible food here. I guess that's a western thing... but seriously.. the great restaurants are far and few (and trust me I've tried at least 70 by now)

CRIME: there are a lot of visibly homeless people and I have seen some sketchy stuff on Colfax Ave... and Capitol Hill has a rising crime rate. It's not the worst on crime but it's not perfect.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,314 times
I've noticed this site has a hard on for Denver and Colorado in general. I've only lived here a year but here is my experience. The outdoor opportunity here is immense but it comes with a price, everyone comes here for just that and it's crowded. I worked a winter season over at Vail Ski resort and I have never seen such a crowded resort... until I went to all the other resorts and saw the same thing. I'm from Montana so this was very new to me. It feels like a very commercialized outdoor experience if that makes any sense at all. I live in Capital Hill and pay 580 for a 300 sq. st studio built in the 1920s. that is the cheapest i've seen and that's without parking, and dear lord if you live in Cap Hill and don't pay 200 dollars for your own parking spot... prepare your anus for parking tickets out the wazoo. BUT, there is a lot to do downtown! Tons of bars, cool shops, FOUR Sports teams, Elich Gardens.. it really does have it all. People here really are great and they migrate from all over the country. If your driving on 70 to the mountains be warned, it can get super gnarly in the winter and people here don't slow down for the snow. Make no doubt about though this place is really great. REALLY good beer, weed is legal ( I know you say you don't drink but you need to taste some micro brews here friend).

Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 AM

234 posts, read 384,178 times
Cons: dry, high altitude, the weather can be pretty restrictive, drivers suck, urban sprawl, still oddly lacks major amenities other cities come stock with. Legal cannabis = high prices, dumb tourist, people in public that cannot handle their cannabis, and rents becoming outrageous. Denver also does not care for older properties the way other cities do. The standard apartment for Denver would be considered borderline ghetto in other cities. Horrible cycling, outright dangerous. Overall cost of living is going up. Culture is Suburu station wagons and northface/L.L. bean jackets, music scene is sub-par, no community outside your group of friends.

Pros: Cherry creek bike trail can take you almost from Centennial North downtown/rhino. Exercise in our altitude, feel like iron man at sea level. Excellent medical cannabis system. Lots of transplants, = no native elitism. People are generally friendly outside their cars. Cannot really think of much else

Denver gets worse by the day, and I'm not incre

Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM

144 posts, read 91,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by female27 View Post
Denver:

Pros
1.Affordable
2. Outdoor activités (as long as you have hours to devote to that)
3. Lots of microbreweries
4. Pot legal
5. Produce can be good (and cheap)

Cons
Unless you're a snowboarding/skiing person or a stoner or otherwise disinterested in conventional success, Denver sucks.

1. the fashion is lame (if you can even call it fashion)people go out in sweats and workout gear which is cool for a while and then it's really boring an frustrating
2. it's not as affordable as it used to be
3. you have to get up at 3:00 am if you want to hike a 14er (or hike anything substantial really)
4. Lightening stokes kill
5. Occasional tornado
6. The type of people you meet will be... well, you'll see.
7. Food sucks- people love terrible food here. I guess that's a western thing... but seriously.. the great restaurants are far and few (and trust me I've tried at least 70 by now)

CRIME: there are a lot of visibly homeless people and I have seen some sketchy stuff on Colfax Ave... and Capitol Hill has a rising crime rate. It's not the worst on crime but it's not perfect.

Could you expand on that please?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM

2,107 posts, read 2,096,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_Vanilla View Post
People in this area tend to be attachment-deficit types in my experience. You'll be great friends with someone for months, your scenes change and then they drop out of sight and you never hear from them again. (I don't know whether that's what was meant tho.)
There's always Amarillo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver