Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,952 times

Advertisements

First of all, thanks for everyone posting nice reputation comments. Good people! So far, I have really fell into it out here, and had nothing but a smile on my face when my first snow fell, despite the fact I came from South Florida.

And now, here I am, almost 3 months, and loving it! Sure, there have been disappointments. To those thinking of moving here, here are some suggestions. Locals, please don't take these as insults or negative comments, just things that I have noticed from my perspective. That is what a FORUM is about, right?

1. It does get cold here. But we are not buried in snow 24-7. Whoever started this rumor needs to do some more research. We are at 5280, not 10k. The snow, from what I have been told from Denveridians (Yes, I made at up) Okay, how's Denverites? sticks only a few days with exception to snow storms.

2. The traffic is ridiculous, but it is a Major City. Drive through some of them, and during rush hour(s), bad weather, or during accidents, you are bound to find Denver to be quite the same. For some reason, people seem to drive in a sleepy, zombie like fashion on the highway. It's as if everyone is on cough syrup. But then, I did move from S. Florida.

3. Be prepared to get a ticket (I did) if you don't think 55 is acceptable on the interstate...Of course, that's if you are in the LEFT lane, the right one likes 45mph. Just slow it down, or you will be paying out the butt for a fine, and getting some points.

4. Live close to where you work. I got a place in Aurora, right off I-225, and my work is 9 miles from Boulder. It's not my fault, as I didn't know where I would be working...but if you can help it, avoid a 30 mile commute as much as you can! That goes for any city though!

5. If you came for the mountains, don't live on the East side. Aurora, while higher than the valley near the West side of the city, has a great view of the higher peaks in the distance, from the 2nd floor up. Otherwise, you won't see much. It's also about 40 minutes to get there, if you speed. (don't) On the west side, however, you can see them from any perspective, they are vivid, alive. I love that view from my office door as I walk out to my truck every night.

6. You don't need a truck to live here. But it's more fun! The roads in the city are plowed regularly, and ice is a bigger concern. Even when snow is falling, the roads in the city aren't that bad. Especially if you grew up just an hour from the Michigan/Indiana border.

7. Check out your neighborhood. For some reason, I am not too fond of Aurora. Some of the people are great, mind you, but it seems like an overtone of pushy drivers, ghetto attitudes, and well, just unhappy people everywhere. I have gotten out and met some great people though, just saying that parts of it make you long for LA.

8. Get a camera! Just a simple Saturday afternoon can turn into a beautiful photo shoot. I took some great shots of the foothills and Flatirons just minutes from my work off the Pkwy. It was absolutely breathtaking, and the people at the dog park were so nice. (I guess I just get along better with the West side of the city)

9. Have a positive attitude, clean yourself up, and bust your butt. UPS hires loaders/unloaders every single week in Commerce City. They pay good starting part-time wages. But pull up your britches, cause it's tough here just like everywhere. Send out resumes and follow up. As with anywhere a good attitude and one arm will beat a bad attitude with two arms anyday. Get started and push until you get a job. It took me a month, cause I wouldn't settle.

10. People are people. Don't let a simple opinion of one person or a group or persons, or a truck with 30 pallets stacked 20 ft above the top of the truck like a cartoon give you a bad impression of the overall city. Smile, shake hands, and for Gosh sakes, learn some people skills and the city you live in will be the best place you have ever lived!

That's my advice to people relocating to Denver. Hope I didn't make anybody mad, but if you are upset with my opinions, I am always open to persuasion.

I left a lot to get to this beautiful city, and I would do it all over again...

Best of luck to newcomers, and the best helping hand you'll ever find is at the end of your own arm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM

162 posts, read 467,577 times
This was a great read; Thanks GhostGecko, I may be moving to Denver in 1-2 months, and you offered great insight. Keep us posted and Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I found them interesting. One thing though, as to the snow. That's something to be experienced firsthand before deciding upon. Stats, locals and whatnot are just references. I think I remember talking to you awhile back, I'm the one wanting to get to Miami. Were you in Tampa? I'd be really interested to know how Tampa compares to Denver in things like nightlife, jobs, housing. I'm not interested in moving to Tampa, but it'd be neat to see a comparison. From what I've heard/read, Tampa is having major economy problems.

Welcome to Denver and sorry about your ticket! My rule is to only go 5 miles over the speed limit. Every time I decide I can do more, I'm ticketed. And that just blows!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Welcome and glad you are enjoying it. Many of your comments hold true for anyone moving anywhere. Attitude is everything.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I don't understand #6. You've been here since Sept. 15? We've hardly had a flake. It didn't snow at all in any measurable way until about 2 weeks ago, and that was only an inch or so. Wait till you see what kind of a job the cities do (or not) when we really get some snow.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
7. Check out your neighborhood. For some reason, I am not too fond of Aurora. Some of the people are great, mind you, but it seems like an overtone of pushy drivers, ghetto attitudes, and well, just unhappy people everywhere. I have gotten out and met some great people though, just saying that parts of it make you long for LA.
u B dissin' my hometown?

I've always felt that Aurora is somewhat different from the rest of Denver, somewhat different culture (much more of a middle-to-lower middle class feel, still outdoor oriented and fitness oriented, but definitely less emphasis on the mountains and more emphasis on appreciating the plains and city parks), different demographics (Aurora is one of the most diverse cities in the entire Mountain West-- and I mean real, international diversity and representation), different scenery... it's like people seem to have an idea in their heads what Denver is like... until they go to Aurora, which contradicts many of their preconceptions. I'm not a total fan of Aurora either-- parts of it are really ugly and drab looking-- but I really appreciate the fact that it's unglamorous, un-trendy, somewhat despised, but actually has a lot to offer under the surface.

It's also one of the most affordable parts of the metro area, and when I see various posters (not saying you) whine about how expensive it is to live in Colorado (usually people from Texas which has really cheap property values but also sky high property tax rates so it's not as cheap as they claim), I just think... well what's wrong with Aurora? Good enough for me, not good enough for you? And of course the new areas in far SE Aurora are in fact pretty expensive and upper-middle class, so not even all of Aurora fits the Aurora stereotype.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand #6. You've been here since Sept. 15? We've hardly had a flake. It didn't snow at all in any measurable way until about 2 weeks ago, and that was only an inch or so. Wait till you see what kind of a job the cities do (or not) when we really get some snow.
Hey Kat, did you not get any snow up in Louisville this weekend? I went up to Boulder on Sunday morning and noticed my car was the only one with any snow stuck to it. We got pretty good snow Friday night and most of Sunday. Still got some patches around the yard, probably got 2-3 inches out of each storm.

I know, that's nothing compared to what is in store for us in the next few months, but hey it's a start. Maybe since the OP has been in FL for awhile, any snow is "snow". He'll see what it's really like when the plows are nowhere to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
u B dissin' my hometown?
Now you know how it feels

Last edited by Count David; 12-01-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: made addition

Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Yes, we did get snow, but it wasn't enough to even require the snowplows to put in an appearance. But you're right, perspective, perspective, perspective.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
To the new comers in the area if you stick around long enough; you haven't seen nothing yet...While winters here have been milder as of late..the big immobilizing storms will eventually hit...I grew up in Boulder...back in the 80's and early 90's there
were blizzards that were legendary by all definition...Some pretty heavy sytems typically hit us in April as well...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM

380 posts, read 1,228,356 times
Welcome to Denver. I have been here 6 months now and I just love it too. Be open, be positive, be friendly, and get out there. This city offers so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver