U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
 
180 posts, read 496,292 times
Reputation: 200

Advertisements

Ok, I have finally settled on Denver for relocation (after juggling many other possibilities being a dreamer is difficult sometimes )

My job is in Aurora, very near Nine Mile Station. I'm planning on going carless, and living somewhere on the light rail line. I think it's the H line that goes by there. What area would you move to, given the chance? I have a car, but will try to get rid of it, so a walkable area would be nice. Basically I'd like somewhere close to a coffeeshop and a grocery store, that's really about all I need on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be ritzy, either...

Oh. I'm renting, not buying. There's no way in hell I'd sign up for any debt right now! So what are a couple of good options? Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,612,834 times
Reputation: 2073
I don't know how you feel about a college area, but the area around the University of Denver Station has all of what you're looking for. It has both chain and non-chain coffee shops and there is a Safeway west of campus on Evans. The light rail ride from DU to Nine Mile wouldn't be too long, either.

Another option would be the area around Broadway and Alameda. It has all of what you need as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
 
2,755 posts, read 11,738,841 times
Reputation: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Ok, I have finally settled on Denver for relocation (after juggling many other possibilities being a dreamer is difficult sometimes )

My job is in Aurora, very near Nine Mile Station. I'm planning on going carless, and living somewhere on the light rail line. I think it's the H line that goes by there. What area would you move to, given the chance? I have a car, but will try to get rid of it, so a walkable area would be nice. Basically I'd like somewhere close to a coffeeshop and a grocery store, that's really about all I need on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be ritzy, either...

Oh. I'm renting, not buying. There's no way in hell I'd sign up for any debt right now! So what are a couple of good options? Thanks, in advance.
The 9 mile station area has thousands of apartments practically on top of the station location, and it's an affordable area, so that's probably a good place to start. It's not really "walkable" in an urban sense since it's suburban in character, but practically speaking you'd have everything you need within walking distance of the station itself.

Another location to consider might be the "Southmoor" (Hampden) station. Like 9 mile, it's not urban in character but you could walk to just about everything you'd need from a number of apartments there. It also has a number of rentals in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,666,650 times
Reputation: 5338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Ok, I have finally settled on Denver for relocation (after juggling many other possibilities being a dreamer is difficult sometimes )

My job is in Aurora, very near Nine Mile Station. I'm planning on going carless, and living somewhere on the light rail line. I think it's the H line that goes by there. What area would you move to, given the chance? I have a car, but will try to get rid of it, so a walkable area would be nice. Basically I'd like somewhere close to a coffeeshop and a grocery store, that's really about all I need on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be ritzy, either...

Oh. I'm renting, not buying. There's no way in hell I'd sign up for any debt right now! So what are a couple of good options? Thanks, in advance.
Tfox has some good suggestions, as always.

There is a King Soopers right at Parker & I-225 (right across the street from the 9 Mile PnR), so you've got that big one covered right there. Unfortunately the Parker/Peoria intersection is not a very fun one to walk across, and there are no apartments literally right next to the station without having to cross the street. The closest ones, on the south side of Parker Rd would be the Aventine Apartments and the French Quarter. The next closest ones would be by Dartmouth as it curves between Parker and Havana. A big portion of my Parker Rd photo tour-- Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr photo tour-- covers these areas right around 9 mile and going up to Havana. I think it's actually a pretty cool area, but walking will be a challenge, especially at night and when it snows. There's also the 83 bus route.

If you can afford it there's a nice brand new apartment complex right next to the Dayton Station (the next stop after 9 mile) where you can get to the station without having to cross monster intersections. The Dayton station area apartments is walkable to a super Walmart and a handful of chain restaurants and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
 
180 posts, read 496,292 times
Reputation: 200
Thank you all for your responses! Now I have a good idea of where to look. I'll look around Southmoor station and DU. I think the 9 mile area might be too suburban for me.

If the rail ride from DU to 9 mile station isn't too bad, what about living in the South Pearl area? It's fairly close to DU, so I'm guessing it won't be that bad.

Also, is there a possibility to making it to the mountains and/or a good hiking spot without a car? I'm sure there's not, but I thought I'd ask...

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,612,834 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Also, is there a possibility to making it to the mountains and/or a good hiking spot without a car? I'm sure there's not, but I thought I'd ask...
I know RTD has some routes that get pretty close to the mountains and/or hiking spots (Evergreen, Conifer, Nederland, Boulder) but I don't know how often they run on weekends and whether or not it would be convenient to use them.

I would probably keep the car if I were you, or at least when you move here, bring the car and then sell it if you decide that you don't need it. I use public transit to get to work and I also use it when I want to hang out downtown, but otherwise, in my experience, the buses are too inconvenient for most of where I want to go on weekends. Just my opinion though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM
 
180 posts, read 496,292 times
Reputation: 200
Nederland is exactly where I wanted to go. (should have mentioned that) So, thanks! And I'll look into the bus scheduling too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,666,650 times
Reputation: 5338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
If the rail ride from DU to 9 mile station isn't too bad, what about living in the South Pearl area? It's fairly close to DU, so I'm guessing it won't be that bad.
That might be an even better idea; then you'd get on at the Louisiana-Pearl station. You'd have Stella's right there in the neighborhood, and a Wild Oats within walking distance. Pearl St is nice but it's mainly "frou frou" stuff-- things like organic dog food bakeries, psychics, antiques; not a whole lot of practical everyday kind of stores. It's a good neighborhood though, and probably what you're looking for.

Southmoor station is no more or less suburban/urban than 9 Mile btw; Southmoor may be a tad bit more convenient in terms of how the shopping around there is arranged, but it's almost splitting hairs. There is a quasi "New Urbanist" development right at Hampden & I-25 ("The District") which you may be interested in, and a King Soopers right next to it. Main problem is the actual light rail station is on the WEST side of I-25, whereas all the "stuff" in the Southmoor area is on the east side of I-25. That means you'll have to cross over the bridge pretty frequently, dodging cars entering/exiting the freeway (and homeless who like to stand at that intersection).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,227 posts, read 24,308,543 times
Reputation: 12937
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Main problem is the actual light rail station is on the WEST side of I-25, whereas all the "stuff" in the Southmoor area is on the east side of I-25. That means you'll have to cross over the bridge pretty frequently, dodging cars entering/exiting the freeway (and homeless who like to stand at that intersection).
First off, LOL to the organic dog food bakery comment

The "bridge" you are referring to (the Hampden Ave overpass I'm assuming), doesn't and can't be crossed to access the light rail station at Southmoor. You park (or walk to) the parking lot at (more or less) Hampden and Monaco. There, you purchase your ticket (cash only), and walk under a wonderful tunnel to the station. The tunnel goes under the freeway (of course), and there are some large lights along the walls that go "bing, bong, bing" as you walk next to them. Fun for the kids, or the kid at heart. No dodging cars in the tunnel.

Maybe, if you've seen many pedestrians walking across the Hampden overpass, they are students that go to TJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,666,650 times
Reputation: 5338
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
First off, LOL to the organic dog food bakery comment

The "bridge" you are referring to (the Hampden Ave overpass I'm assuming), doesn't and can't be crossed to access the light rail station at Southmoor. You park (or walk to) the parking lot at (more or less) Hampden and Monaco. There, you purchase your ticket (cash only), and walk under a wonderful tunnel to the station. The tunnel goes under the freeway (of course), and there are some large lights along the walls that go "bing, bong, bing" as you walk next to them. Fun for the kids, or the kid at heart. No dodging cars in the tunnel.

Maybe, if you've seen many pedestrians walking across the Hampden overpass, they are students that go to TJ.
Well d*** me! I did not know that! I'm going to have to find this tunnel when I'm back in town in a few weeks and try it out.

OP: In that case, ignore my last post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top