U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 AM

14 posts, read 32,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelia View Post
I'd suggest Stapleton too. I grew up in Marin, and I now live in Stapleton with my husband and two kids (ages 4 and 6). We chose to move to Denver specifically because we fell in love with Stapleton, I just think it is such an awesome place to raise kids. There are lots of community activities and parks and pools within walking distance of most residences. Also, the public schools are top-notch. Plus, if you are moving here from San Francisco, the house prices are downright reasonable. :-)
This is great- thanks. You are the perfect person to talk to about this given your relocation from the Bay Area. We are a little concerned that Stap. may not be as culturally diverse as we'd like. We know it ain't San Francisco (we're moving from Hayes Valley) but we also don't want to end up stuck in a homogeneous area. You must of really like the area to move b/c of it. Did you also consider Boulder? We are also considering there but the commute ain't appealing given I'll be working in Cherry Creek. Please write more! Tell me more about your community activities in Stapleton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,425,884 times
i believe stapleton is part of the whole new urbanism thing where the communities are built to be walkable to pretty much anything. i dont know it too well personally, just what i went through in my home search, but seems to be very popular with the folks that like that sort of thing rather than the suburban existence

Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
As to the walkability of Stapleton--It really depends on where your house is. Not all houses are in walking distance to stores/restaurants. All homes are in walking distance to parks and nice open space areas (and some to pools), but only those close to the little city centers are really walkable. Stapleton is very, very large and although the developer is trying to locate retail portions in different sections to help with the walkability aspect, not all areas are what I would consider walkable (they are though bikable). "Walkable" I guess means different things to different people but personally I think a walkable neighborhood has 1. wide sidewalks that connect everywhere 2. walkable access to public transit 3. A 10 minute walk from home that offers a variety of stores/restaurants and especially a grocery store (daily necessities).

I have several friends who live in Stapleton and they all like it, but only one of them can walk within 10 minutes to a store and/or restaurant. The same could be said though of other neighborhoods, not every house in the Highlands is an easy walk to stores/restaurants either. Just something to consider when looking at the location of specific houses. That aspect was one of the main reasons I chose the location for my house that I did. I'm in neighborhood like Stapleton but smaller (which def adds to the walkability aspect) between Boulder and Denver (Bradburn Village in Westminster). However, NO diversity here : (

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 AM

568 posts, read 1,045,007 times
I would recommend Congress Park, South Park Hill and Capitol Hill near Cheesman Park. These neighborhoods border some of the nicer parks in town: Cheesman, Congress and City Parks. City Park hosts a variety of summer concerts and events. The zoo and the natural history museum are also in City Park. The botanic gardens are located adjacent to Cheesman Park. The area is rich in parkways, which make for great walking. Each of these neighborhoods have greater element of diversity that can't be found in Wash Park or Stapleton. They also have some great neighborhood shopping options.

Each of the neighborhoods you are looking at are great for a variety of reasons, but I think these three may fit your criteria a bit better.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,153 times
Hi, I have lived in Co for 25 years. We LOVE it here. You're wise to rent first. I have also been to beautiful San Fran. Couple of quick notes; Stapleton may not be the most "kid" friendly. Wash park area may not be as safe as more distant neighborhoods. Cherry Creek is fabulous. Check out Lakewood - close to city, hilly (like SF), close to mountains. Check out each areas demographics online to find the area most similar to yours. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4qual View Post
Thanks for this. It echoes my perceptions about these areas. It's looking like Stapleton.... Cherry Creek seems a little sanitized, LoDo is a little noisy / sporty. The only thing that worries me about Stapleton is that fact that it's so new - while lots of families I'm concerned it may be a little lacking in diversity and energy. We've got a young family but I'm not convinced that we only want to socialize with other young families! Thanks for the advice!!
I think you have an accurate picture of Stapleton. I like what's happened there over the past decade, but it's not for everyone. Certainly the younger singles are going to find Stapleton too quiet and somewhat removed from the vitality of the urban core. Still, it is a good balance, I think between the urban energy further west and 'burbs.

For me personally, I'm very taken with the historic sections of Denver and so Stapleton is not currently my cup of tea, but I do appreciate what it offers.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM

16 posts, read 80,207 times
Schools?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM

19 posts, read 78,051 times
Hi again,
We didn't really consider moving to Boulder, although I do like to go for the occasional visit. It reminds me a lot of Marin. I will say that I do miss the beauty of the Bay Area. We were just there on vacation in early November and it was absolutely gorgeous. Then we flew back to Denver and all the trees had lost their leaves while we were gone and all the grass was brown. That does take some getting used to - the brown winters. It's beautiful right now though with all the snow. It does make you really appreciate the four seasons though, having not grown up with them.

As far as community activities in Stapleton, it seems like they have something going on for all the holidays, there are community-wide annual block parties, a fall festival, holiday lighting, easter egg hunts, 4th of july parade and fireworks, as well as a bunch of activities through the school once your child is school-aged. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the public schools in Stapleton - both of them are amazing. I have been really impressed with the quality of the education my kids are receiving. The schools here start at age 3, so I can send my preschooler and 1st grader to the same school which is very convenient.

It's so easy to make friends here because everyone is new and it seems like everyone has kids. You have a valid point about it being homogenous though. Many, many young families, most of them white middle-to-upper class. But, there are also plenty of empty nesters here as well (a lot of them moved here to be near grandkids). The other big population here is gay/lesbian couples (it isn't referred to as Gaypleton for nothing).

Politically, if that concerns you, I'd say Stapleotn is very left-leaning. While there were some McCain signs out during the election, the overwhelming majority were Obama signs and I see tons of cars with some sort of Obama sign on them, much like when we were driving through Marin during election time.

I personally like having a new home at this stage in my life, with young children. Our old house in CA was a fixer-upper and we did not want to spend all of our free time working on the house this time around. True, they don't have much character, but it's much easier to do little things to add character than to do all out renovations and dealing with all the issues of older homes. Maybe when the kids are older, I'll have more energy to tackle that, but for now this house is perfect for us.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little. We came out to visit a friend of mine in October 2005 and fell in love with it. We immediately put our house on the market and moved out the following January. It was the absolute right decision for our family. Only you will know if it's the right decision for yours, you should definitely come check it out in person.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,760 times
Stapleton.

Highlands Ranch if you are 50+, love to drive SUV's, or have no issues with driving for every single need from toilet paper to a gallon of milk, and while we are at it (owing to common sense) looking to lose money on your home in the next 10 years. Honestly; the area is a devoid of social intelligence, a bit like regressing to the 70's but with Orange County moms.

I could make some guesses as to your placement in SF ... but regardless odds are you won't find the same experience in Denver. Stapleton is great for the kids; there are other areas that are great for other reasons, but I suspect the kids are the most important.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Stapleton.

Highlands Ranch if you are 50+, love to drive SUV's, or have no issues with driving for every single need from toilet paper to a gallon of milk, and while we are at it (owing to common sense) looking to lose money on your home in the next 10 years. Honestly; the area is a devoid of social intelligence, a bit like regressing to the 70's but with Orange County moms.

I could make some guesses as to your placement in SF ... but regardless odds are you won't find the same experience in Denver. Stapleton is great for the kids; there are other areas that are great for other reasons, but I suspect the kids are the most important.
That's a bunch of hooey. I am not 50+, I do not drive a SUV or a 4 wheel drive. I sometimes walk to the shopping center for my mail or groceries, and get an ice cream cone. I usually stop at the store on my way home, and will not make a special trip just to shop. There are kids everywhere here, great schools, stable home price - due to the proximity to DTC as employment center, and light rail for those going downtown.

Average Days on Market for Highlands Ranch is less than 90 - 4 rec centers, 8 swimming pools, tennis courts, concerts in the park, ceramics studio, battling cages, racquetball courts, fitness classes, day camp, farmer's market, Tattered Cover....

I have been here nearly 10 years. Housing ranges from $150 to more than a mill. It's a nice place to live and raise adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or