U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colordado
14 posts, read 32,758 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelia View Post
I'd suggest Stapleton too. I grew up in Marin, and I now live in Stapleton with my husband and two kids (ages 4 and 6). We chose to move to Denver specifically because we fell in love with Stapleton, I just think it is such an awesome place to raise kids. There are lots of community activities and parks and pools within walking distance of most residences. Also, the public schools are top-notch. Plus, if you are moving here from San Francisco, the house prices are downright reasonable. :-)
Hey
Thanks for you response. I checked out Stapleton last week but it was at nighttime so it was a bit limited. It looks great! Also got a copy of the Front Porch newspaper which is useful. One criticism i've heard is that it takes a long time to commute into town as the roads are always busy at peak time and there are a lot of stop lights. Also, does the community get a bit sterile after a while? Moveing from SF we're a little worried that Stapleton might feel a little suburban. Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
 
369 posts, read 839,607 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4qual View Post
Hey
Thanks for you response. I checked out Stapleton last week but it was at nighttime so it was a bit limited. It looks great! Also got a copy of the Front Porch newspaper which is useful. One criticism i've heard is that it takes a long time to commute into town as the roads are always busy at peak time and there are a lot of stop lights. Also, does the community get a bit sterile after a while? Moveing from SF we're a little worried that Stapleton might feel a little suburban. Whatcha think?
It really depends on your response to the area - a nighttime visit isn't really enough to get a feel of the place.

I would say is that you're not going to find a place like San Francisco here, so set your expectations. None of the areas here will have the same kind of density, there's just too much land and things sprawl. The closest you'll get might be Lodo, but it's a small area and there aren't a lot of people living there, and even fewer families. Also, there's not as much racial and ethnic diversity, so be prepared. Oh, and Denver is mostly Democratic, but more libertarian leaning and centrist than SF. What else...well, the food in SF is unbeatable, the views (natural and man-made) are incredible, and it really is a center for cutting edge things (technology, arts, fashion, etc). And you'll miss the ocean.

We moved here from the Bay Area in '99 (before Stapleton had houses) and immediately took to the older Denver areas (Wash Park, Park Hill, Platt Park, Highlands, etc). We lived in Platt Park for a while and loved it - we still go to Old South Pearl Street a lot. Then we had kids and wanted more interior space for those winter days, a bigger yard, and not so many people and cars wandering around, so we moved southeast of DU - think 50s single story ranches with 10k sqft yards.

I personally don't like new developments in the Denver Metro Area. Mature landscaping and houses with some age and character are a requirement for me. Because there are very few naturally occurring trees, new developments here don't suite my taste (Although I do like the wide open grasslands - go figure). Stapleton has done a tremendous job in terms of getting away from cookie cutter tract housing, but they all are built at basically the same time and again aren't my style.

My other problem with Stapleton is that I've heard the schools aren't great. I know families who live there with kids in Westerly Creek and Odyssey who have either moved their kids out or are thinking pretty seriously about it. I know that test scores aren't the only way to judge a school (I have family members who are DPS teachers and don't like teaching to tests) and I don't want to start a flame war, but the CSAP scores for those schools are so-so.

Check this out to see the school's CSAP scores:

School Accountability Report - School Search (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp - broken link)

My advice on schools in any area is to go and visit them yourselves. I think most schools will let you sit in on classes and talk to teachers. I would also walk around Stapleton on a weekend and just start talking to people (it's ok, people do that here, they won't ignore you or run away) - see what people who have kids in the school think.

That being said, I know folks from San Francisco who *love* Stapleton. There are a lot of Stanford and Cal stickers and apparel around, so some days I think I'm still in the Bay Area

And we're very happy here, the pace of life is much more family friendly. The mountains are great, I like the different seasons, and the area has a lot to offer. We do miss the Bay Area, but we visit once a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM
 
21 posts, read 57,045 times
Reputation: 24
Stapleton is ok but Cherry Creek is going to have the best schools. I also liked the Wash Park suggestion, wonderful place for families. I lived on cap hill and loved it but I was a 20-something single gal. I would also suggest Park Hill. The neighborhood is beautiful and so are the homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,725 times
Reputation: 12
I was born in SF and visit often as I have lots of family there so hope my comments are helpful. Stapleton is a nice, new area. It is pretty well located with lots of shopping and dining options. They have received kudos for their focus on green building and quality of life, with some great charter/private schools, entertainment, and community happenings. Lots of people I know live there and love it. When comparing it with SF I think it feels a bit "manufactured", nice and new but without a whole lot of character yet - which may or may not be appealing to you. Lots of urban professionals & children there.

Areas like Platt Park have more of a traditional neighborhood vibe with independent businesses, not chain restaurants or stores. I see lots of people with dogs & strollers all day every day. There are neighborhood happenings and events here as well. Schools in that area can be spotty. On the CSAP scores above, look at the schools in zip code 80210 (Stapleton's zip is 80238 for comparison).

Lots are small in both areas but you are probably used to that Well actually most of the urban areas have smaller lots but there are pockets of larger lots if that's what you prefer.

Boulder is an extremely beautiful town with tons of character/options but I don't know how you'd feel about that commute. Especially with snow.

You have the luxury of getting here then spending time in all the areas, getting to know people, and then making an informed decision. I do have access to some rentals so PM me and I will get your criteria and see if I can hook you up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colordado
14 posts, read 32,758 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoAli View Post
I was born in SF and visit often as I have lots of family there so hope my comments are helpful. Stapleton is a nice, new area. It is pretty well located with lots of shopping and dining options. They have received kudos for their focus on green building and quality of life, with some great charter/private schools, entertainment, and community happenings. Lots of people I know live there and love it. When comparing it with SF I think it feels a bit "manufactured", nice and new but without a whole lot of character yet - which may or may not be appealing to you. Lots of urban professionals & children there.

Areas like Platt Park have more of a traditional neighborhood vibe with independent businesses, not chain restaurants or stores. I see lots of people with dogs & strollers all day every day. There are neighborhood happenings and events here as well. Schools in that area can be spotty. On the CSAP scores above, look at the schools in zip code 80210 (Stapleton's zip is 80238 for comparison).

Lots are small in both areas but you are probably used to that Well actually most of the urban areas have smaller lots but there are pockets of larger lots if that's what you prefer.

Boulder is an extremely beautiful town with tons of character/options but I don't know how you'd feel about that commute. Especially with snow.

You have the luxury of getting here then spending time in all the areas, getting to know people, and then making an informed decision. I do have access to some rentals so PM me and I will get your criteria and see if I can hook you up.
Hey - thanks for this post - awesome!
We'll definitely check out Stap. when it's light - we're going to be in a corporate appt for a month so that'll buy us some time.
We'll also check out Platt Park. City Park also seems decent.
From doing some research both in person and reading, I"ve really mixed feelings about LoDo - it's cool and has a city vibe but then again in terms of access to parks etc I'm not sure how appropriate that would be. It's tough trying to divorce yourself from the need to see high rises and live downtown after all these years! Luckilly a lot of ppl at my work have relocated from the coasts and say it really is worth the move - although it takes about a year to get used to the adjustment.
We're not overly worried about CSAP scores for now. I think ppl can get too hung up on that. Our kid is 16 months old so we've plenty time to change things around if that becomes an issue.
I'll send you a PM once I figure out how that's done via this interface!
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colordado
14 posts, read 32,758 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindaclumsy View Post
Stapleton is ok but Cherry Creek is going to have the best schools. I also liked the Wash Park suggestion, wonderful place for families. I lived on cap hill and loved it but I was a 20-something single gal. I would also suggest Park Hill. The neighborhood is beautiful and so are the homes.
Hey
Thanks for your response to this - we'll definitely check these areas out - the list keeps getting longer!! Here was me thinking it was a small city.....! Maybe it is an it's simply fragmented into very small n'hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM
 
2,755 posts, read 11,739,675 times
Reputation: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4qual View Post
Hey
Thanks for your response to this - we'll definitely check these areas out - the list keeps getting longer!! Here was me thinking it was a small city.....! Maybe it is an it's simply fragmented into very small n'hoods.
To make your list even longer, I think you should add North Denver (aka Highlands / Berkeley) to your list, if it's not already on there. The eastern part of Highlands is walkable to LoDo (via the Central Platte Valley), one of the few popular neighborhoods outside of downtown's immediate vicinity that you could reasonably walk to LoDo. As it's on a hill to the west of downtown, there can be some very spectacular views in spots of the Denver downtown skyline.

It's VERY popular with late 20s/30something couples, many of whom are with kids. As you mentioned, it's also one of the more diverse and eclectic areas in Denver. In addition, one thing that I think sets Highlands apart is that it has VERY active neighborhood and community groups there, plus the most active mom's group in the metro area (Highlands Mommies, with over a 1000 members).

I will mention that the real disadvantage to the area (compared to say, Congress Park, Wash Park, or Platt Park) is that schools are not as good. This is mainly due to the fact that most of the families in the area are younger and their kids are only now starting school, if at all. However, word has it that things are already shaking up (for the better) in the early elementary grades, though middle and high school are likely years away from real change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,065 times
Reputation: 10
What Price range are you looking for? I would stay out of Stapleton, Extremely overpriced for the quality of home that you get. Try looking at custom home builders in wash park. If you are in the 8-900K price range there are some pretty incredible town homes with close to 4K sq ft 2 blocks from the park and 2 blocks from Gaylord Street Shops (restaurants and boutiques).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 01:26 AM
 
194 posts, read 296,785 times
Reputation: 53
I didn't read the entire thread, but have you looked at Hilltop? Kinda expensive now, but historically a very good area. Home inventory building up, and prices are sure to go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,482 times
Reputation: 10
Did you move? We too are looking to relocate to Denver. We have 2 teens 17 and 13, husband's job near Cherry Creek too. Don't know where to begin! We would like a small town atmosphere, you know, where everybody knows your name sort of thing. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top