U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Denver Cutting Edge on Anything??
Very cutting edge 2 4.88%
Cutting edge 8 19.51%
Um, maybe a little cutting edge 18 43.90%
OMG Cutting Edge? What a joke! 13 31.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,719,122 times

Advertisements

OMG JJ, Durango is my hometown. Compared to Denver it's TINY. And snow? ick. Just the same there. I think Katmoney was saying that if she wasn't into snowboarding our outdoorsy stuff she'd hate it. But from her post it sounded like Denver has grown on her. I bet our winter is super mild compared to Chicago. Or so I've heard. I've never been.

And ya, driving times are very dependent as to the day/time. I've been stuck on I-70 both ways before and it was maddening. Such a little road for so much traffic!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,131,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
Well, Milwaukee is larger than Denver, Boston, Seattle, DC, Vegas, Portland, etc . . . it is the 22nd largest city in the U.S.
I edited mine right after I posted it because you pretty much already said the same thing. We all know metropolitan areas are what people count, otherwise Indianapolis would be one the largest cities in the country.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,507,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
...Many native people preferred not being a "world class city" as it brings just as many negatives as positives. I think many of the people in Denver that are natives or have significant roots feel the same...
Exactly true. I lived in the heard of a Major European City, Berlin, very nice but too big. I have lived and worked in New York City and it is world class but has many problems that go with that distinction. I moved up here from Dallas/Ft. Worth and it was much bigger/exciting/faster but it also had many more problems that made life difficult. I grew up near Buffalo, when the area was as big as Denver is now, but it was in economical and social collapse and it is worse today. Denver is just fine for me--not too big, not too small, not too exciting, just enough for me---I like a little boredom to make my life relaxing and give me the quality of life that I want. Call Denver mediocre; call Denver Boring; call Denver brown; and all that is fine with me. This is my home until death do us part.

Livecontent

Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,006,973 times
For those of us who are not at the moment concerned with world class dining,epitome
of music,cultural scene--fashion mecca related outings...Denver is ok....We do have some of the best mt. biking trails along the foothills within twenty min of downtown--
not an hour away---I go often and know that to be fact...Our restaurant scene while
not world class does in fact offer true fine dining (we are often written about in Gourmet mag, Food and Wine, ect...Fruition, Barrollo Grill, Frasca in Boulder& many others....I have friends (foodies) who visit from the Bay area who can't wait to go to
Sushi Den and Cuccina Colore...Denver is a place for those to relax a bit, enjoy smaller city problems except for some traffic...It however is not a cultural wasteland devoid of any thread of hip like some posters would have you believe....If you love Boston,LA
other large ammenity towns; you might even adapt to it here...or not...Far from the best, but even farther from the less desirable places to be...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM

456 posts, read 1,437,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why even live in Denver if you don't like it? Why not move up to Glenwood Springs or Durango then?

As far as drive times are concerned, are you taking traffic into account? I've sat in my car just outside the Eisenhower tunnel for hours while road crews cleared away an accident scene. Traffic on I-70 coming into Denver on a Sunday night is worse than the traffic right after a Broncos game.
It's called a JOB. Jobs are way easier for me to get in Denver.

As for the traffic, yes, sometimes it has taken me 4 hours to get home, but most times between 2-2.5 during the winter.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM

456 posts, read 1,437,615 times
One more thing. I do like how Denver is not that big. I surely don't miss the traffic and it taking me an hour to get to a different part of the city much like it did in Chicago. I no longer have a hellish commute to work. It's much more relaxing and less stressfull here.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,517,164 times
Well....we didn't have this dialect about being "cutting edge" until recently either!! Maybe if someone bothered to write an article about your city, then ,...you'd be right in there defending it too!!HA!
And, since when is it better to "accidently" do world class things ( such as best design) as opposed to...on purpose world class things (such as a TONY award?) HMMMM????
And by the way JJclark.....you are NOT Chicago and Gary Indiana....you ARE Milwakee......quit trying to make your city something it's not,...it can't be all things to all people like you say Denver tries to!! You are talking out of both sides of your face!!!
You are an interesting brat...I'll give you that!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,131,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Well....we didn't have this dialect about being "cutting edge" until recently either!! Maybe if someone bothered to write an article about your city, then ,...you'd be right in there defending it too!!HA!
And, since when is it better to "accidently" do world class things ( such as best design) as opposed to...on purpose world class things (such as a TONY award?) HMMMM????
And by the way JJclark.....you are NOT Chicago and Gary Indiana....you ARE Milwakee......quit trying to make your city something it's not,...it can't be all things to all people like you say Denver tries to!! You are talking out of both sides of your face!!!
You are an interesting brat...I'll give you that!!
Learn how to read. I said Milwaukee doesn't have to be all things to all people because we rely heavily on our close proximity to Chicago. For example, why would I book a flight with a long layover in Atlanta from Mitchell Field in Milwaukee when I can drive an extra hour and a half and catch a non-stop flight from O'Hare or Midway? It's nice not being so isolated. It gives you options.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,719,122 times
Phew. Well, I now know where CD members stand! I really wasn't looking for an argument, but in retrospect I guess that's exactly what was going to occur no matter.

To Kat and Scott: The things you mentioned are def. Denver's pluses. Today I realized I just hate this kind of weather, I mean HATE it and I'll be moving when I can. But for now, I've decided to try to enjoy what's here since I won't always have it. I wore my snowboots to work today and really didn't mind walking because I knew w/ those things on I wasn't going to slip and break my *ss!! And one thing I just love about Denver is Christmas. We really do it right. I must say, I love December here. Come January and I'll be b*tching again, but I have the next few weeks to enjoy the lights and stuff (Christkindl?? It's downtown this year, yippee!!)

Food and restaurants are quite abundant here. I'm not into the trails and whatnot, but I do know we have plenty. Traffic can be annoying here but not even in the realm of L.A. or some of the places LiveContent mentioned - a def. plus. Some jobs are very plentiful here and since our economy is not that bad, people for the most part do well.

And ya, I'll admit, while I do think that Denver is small and kind of cowtowny, it does not have big city problems (which actually is why I don't think of Denver as a "real" city - so don't be offended when I say that, because it's actually a compliment!)

LiveContent: I paid attention this morning and you are so right about snow and busing!! There were a few people who weren't even on the right bus. Some had no idea where the light rail was, they were about to get off on Blake!! They looked totally unprepared -- whilst us regulars were completely geared up with hats, boots, scarves, gloves, wool coats -- one guy got on wearing nothing but a wind breaker and tennis shoes and khakis. Man he looked cold. He looked at us enviously.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,734,849 times
My own conclusion has always been that Denver is not really cutting edge or top of anything, but it's well above average at many things. I actually like that, to be narrowly focused on only one thing and not others really is a one trick pony...but to be consistently in the top 20% (my own opinion from what I saw) in a great number of things is a better fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or