Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Based on your criteria, I think you'd love my neighborhood in Denver. Stapleton is a new urbanism community about 6 mi. east of downtown, so it's within 15 min. of all the cultural ammenities in Denver. It has good schools, thousands (I'm pretty sure I mean that literally!) of babies/toddlers, good schools (also has an Arts and Music high school and Science and Technology high/middle school), very social, fairly liberal, and a good number of bi-racial couples with children. There are row homes/town homes and two builders build smaller (1200 - 2000 sq. ft.) cottage type homes on courtyards, so you'd have little or no grass to mow. All the yards here are small, but you're always within walking distance of a park. I think they've built over 4000 homes so far, but you can find re-sale homes or go with brand new.

Here's the website where you can find more info: Stapletondenver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM

26 posts, read 166,585 times
@denverian
Stapelton is on my radar, as are several of the new urban and redevelopment communities, but I am concerned that (a) these places won't fit into our budget and (b) that the community makeup might be too affluent and privileged. It's very important to us to raise a child who doesn't act entitled; and I'm not sure how easily I can convey that message if our entire community is surrounded by life's conveniences.

What is the community like socially? Would you describe it as competitive at all? How connected does it feel to the city as whole? Or would you describe it as its own little world?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
Aha! thank you for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
SAHM is a Stay At Home Mom.

I'm sure the Denver metro area is where the OP needs to be, especially for the mass transit option.

The OP is to be COMMENDED for reading the old threads and then starting a new and intelligent thread. The RTD thread in the index will help anyone get up to speed on the light rail system and its nearby neighborhoods.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Disclaimer: I don't live in Denver (yet)

Arvada maybe? Or is that a little too sleepy? Should be nice when the rail is done over there, but as I understand it the bus service is quite fine now. livecontent has posted mercilessly (j/k) on Arvada, and it sounds quite nice for family living, has some older housing, is fairly quiet but only a few miles outside of Denver and a few miles from the foothills, has a pleasant "small town" downtown and seems to have a pretty reasonable cost of living from my research. Also numerous parks (though near as I can tell you can throw a ball anywhere in the Denver metro area and it'll land in a park.)

I don't know how cultural diverse Arvada is, but like most of Denver's suburbs it kinda flows right into Denver and the other suburbs and it does seem to be an easy city to get around in. Frankly somewhere in the Denver metro area does sound like a good fit for you from my perspective, but then like I said, I'm an outsider and despite a lot of research may not have entire accurate information here.

Anyway, I hope that at least opens up one more avenue to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver