U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM

394 posts, read 1,373,279 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there who owns an SUT...Sport Utility Truck. Got any advice on Winter driving? OD on or off. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with a 6" body lift and 33" tires...No, no 4x4, it's a cali truck...I know, go ahead and say it!

Does the 4 doors help at all with the fishtailing issue? Or do I still need to fill some salt bags in my rear end....that didn't sound right. You know what I mean!

But help would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,434,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Anybody out there who owns an SUT...Sport Utility Truck. Got any advice on Winter driving? OD on or off. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with a 6" body lift and 33" tires...No, no 4x4, it's a cali truck...I know, go ahead and say it!

Does the 4 doors help at all with the fishtailing issue? Or do I still need to fill some salt bags in my rear end....that didn't sound right. You know what I mean!

But help would be great!

Thanks in advance!
add as much weight as possable in the back. I had a 2wd truck and it was a major pain in the rear to drive during the winter months. Slow down, take your time, and stop early and you should be fine.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,439 times
Winter tires. Weight in back.

Seriously, why in the **** did you buy a 2 wheel drive gas guzzling piece of total **** and ask.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,434,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post

Seriously, why in the **** did you buy a 2 wheel drive gas guzzling piece of total **** and ask.
he came from Cali, where snow does not exist. no need for a 4wd in an area where you really are not going to face bad weather like we do here.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM

862 posts, read 2,353,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post

Let me guess, you are an environmentalist?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:16 AM

162 posts, read 425,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Let me guess, you are an environmentalist?
I dont think hes an environmentalist, just someone who believes in practicality. Buying a truck without 4x4 is like buying a small car that doesnt get good gas mileage: whats the point?! Granted, 2wd gets slightly better mileage than an optional 4wd, and is fine for normal SoCal weather, so to each his own...

I'll stick with my Subaru Legacy; 25-30 mpg, ski and bike racks on top, and All-Wheel_drive suckas!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,052,161 times
The number of doors ain't going to make any difference.
You can put as much salt, or sand, in your rear end as you can hold. If you have a 6 foot rear end that could be a lot of salt/sand. LOL

Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
I lived in Southern California for awhile and 2WD pickups and SUVs are MUCH more prevalent there than they are here or in Pennsylvania, where I grew up. In fact, I didn't even know many of the SUV models were available in 2WD at all until i lived in California.

With that said, I can identify with the person who started this thread, because I bought a 2WD pickup when I was in California, and at the time, I had no intention of leaving. Life changed, circumstances changed, and I received a job offer in Denver, and since it was my only vehicle, it came with me. I've since sold it, but it only ever got totally stuck on ice once, and that was in 2006 when we received like 25" of snow in two days, and quite frankly, everyone was having issues.

I'm being long-winded here, but I'd say try some sand bags and snow tires. It's not going to be perfect, but then again, I don't think ANY vehicle is perfect for driving on ice.

As far as being a gas guzzler, oh well. I drive a gas guzzler too (an impractical Jeep!) and what I spend on gas for it is my business.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 12-05-2008 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver