U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM

3,656 posts, read 4,528,207 times
I can sympathize with people having those symptons in CO after moving here, I guess it would be the same for someone moving to a damp climate, frizzy hair, maybe sweating a lot, greasy feeling skin (I have oily skin, so humidity makes my face look like it has vaseline on it! eww), etc. These are things I experience when I am somewhere humid.
when I get back to CO, they dissappear. I think the changes go both ways, I realize bloody noses is more severe than greasy skin, but I was just sharing my opinion that skin, body changes can happen both ways.

p.s.- Maybe even emotional changes?, I can get a little grumpy when I'm out in the humidity for long periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
Well obviously too much humidity is bad, just like no humidity is bad. Denver unfortunately is at the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to humidity (or lack there of), which is why myself and a few others on this forum do not care for the weather here. Bloody noses, cracked lips, frazzled hair, dry itchy skin, etc. are all things I find annoying. This may offend many people here, but it is not intended to. Before moving to Denver, I have never seen so many people with "leather face." By "leather face" I mean heavily wrinkled and leathery skin that makes people look very "weathered." I am not sure how to describe this, but I assume this must have something to do with the lack of humidity, wind and sunny days.

Anyway, preferences in climate are subjective, but I think it is healthy to have discussions like this, especially for those who are considering a move. I wish I had seen more discourse like this before I chose to make the move. I had visited before and thought, "No problem, I can handle this." After a few months I have a much different opinion. For me, Denver is a good place to visit, but a bad place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,912,101 times
Quote:
I can get a little grumpy when I'm out in the humidity for long periods.
You also have a tendency to lie and make up slanderous accusations.Still waiting for the proof that I am a realtor who lives in Colorado and in secret send messages to people telling them not to buy in Green Valley Ranch or wherever it was.

Come on -- certainly if I sent this make believe private message finding it is as easy as looking in your message history.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM

948 posts, read 2,457,732 times
Not If you have some really cute winter coats and boots!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

true! shopping for the different seasons is part of the fun of having them!! Love those JCrew sales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Not If you have some really cute winter coats and boots!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM

3,531 posts, read 6,165,113 times
You know, I know that leather look. A lot of people I know think I'm crazy for wearing sunscreen year round (I use the oil of olay for sensitive skin w/uva protection every day). But the aged look I think comes from the altitute, the sun and lack of skin protection. You really have to work at it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew View Post
I hate humid areas. When I lived in CA it was the most I could take. Go to TX or FL forget it. Thats why I like NV and AZ but it gets a little to hot.

All the problems that was said above about the weather here just use lotion and lip balm and youll be fine. I heard that cause of the altitude and the sun is why you looked aged here.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
tew

209 posts, read 410,478 times
Im a total sunscreen user. Ive been since high school.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM

5,748 posts, read 7,115,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
You know, I know that leather look. A lot of people I know think I'm crazy for wearing sunscreen year round (I use the oil of olay for sensitive skin w/uva protection every day). But the aged look I think comes from the altitute, the sun and lack of skin protection. You really have to work at it here.
Even my husband wears sunscreen on his face and balding head everyday. If he's going to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes, he wears a hat. I've also gotten in the habit of hat wearing, plus I wear light-weight, long-sleeved, t-shirts during the summer with long capris.

I think dehydration is problem, too, so I carry a stainless steel water bottle with me wherever I go, and I've completely sworn off coffee and soda. It helps, but I still have the chapped lips. Ouch!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM

me too! I wear at least 45+ on my face everyday, rain, sun ,snow, whatever! and I have for the past 10 years or so. and I use 55-70+ on my body and exposed skin.
I was especially diligent in Australia, it has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world, and they actually have special clinics set up to check moles! you can just walk in and have them checked!
But in CO, the sun is so bright and reflects off the snow so much in winter, you have to have some protection.
I was just on a cruise and I was slathering it on like nobody's business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew View Post
Im a total sunscreen user. Ive been since high school.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM

67 posts, read 123,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
It is important to wear Sunblock all of the time, I know as my father died very young because of skin cancer. It is important even in less sunny places. For example, the place I love, Seattle, has high skin cancer rates even though the sunny days are less than other places.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM

3,531 posts, read 6,165,113 times
Sorry to hear about your father...

The thing is, it's not just sun but UV rays. So it might not be sunny out, but you are still getting the rays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver