U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,701,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I rather think that keeps things interesting, not knowing for certain what the skies will bring each day. I thrive on the novelty.
It's something I'm looking very much forward to when I move to Denver.

We only have 2 seasons in Southern California: Fire & Flood season!
1. Fire season- warm santa ana winds happily feeding wildfires and blowing smog all around.
2. Flood season- a couple weeks of downpour that errodes all of the previously burnt hillsides.
Natural History of Fire and Flood Cycles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,760,024 times
welcome to Denver, but whatever you do "cabo", DON'T believe the lies the Chamber of Commerce spews about the weather here! It snows at least a foot everyday, below zero often, only 245 days of sunshine, etc, etc, still want to move here???

(ok-that was all a joke at LB's expense!) you will have a great time in CO and it's nice to know you'll welcome the changes in weather and 4 seasons!! the snow is really pretty, not so much if you're stuck in it, but pretty nonetheless!!!!

We're glad you're moving here!! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
It's something I'm looking very much forward to when I move to Denver.

We only have 2 seasons in Southern California: Fire & Flood season!
1. Fire season- warm santa ana winds happily feeding wildfires and blowing smog all around.
2. Flood season- a couple weeks of downpour that errodes all of the previously burnt hillsides.
Natural History of Fire and Flood Cycles

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,701,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
welcome to Denver, but whatever you do "cabo", DON'T believe the lies the Chamber of Commerce spews about the weather here! It snows at least a foot everyday, below zero often, only 245 days of sunshine, etc, etc, still want to move here???

(ok-that was all a joke at LB's expense!) you will have a great time in CO and it's nice to know you'll welcome the changes in weather and 4 seasons!! the snow is really pretty, not so much if you're stuck in it, but pretty nonetheless!!!!

We're glad you're moving here!! Enjoy!
Thanks! By the looks of it I'm going to get along just fine there...

Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM

I'm sure you will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Thanks! By the looks of it I'm going to get along just fine there...

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM

14,506 posts, read 22,367,279 times
I lived in SoCal until I was 10 years old and I've always loved Colorado weather. I only wish it would snow more and get colder, so as to drive the Arizona, Texas, and Florida snowbirds out for good. Come spring time, I'm sort of sick of the cold and snow and looking forward to the hot 100 or 90 days and 50s to 60s cool evenings. Warm enough to go outside at night with shorts and a tee shirt on. Then in the fall, I'm ready for some snow and football!

I know SoCal good enough... most Californians know what brisk weather is. 40 along the coast seems way colder than 40 on a sunny Colorado winter day. You do acclimate. If you're not used to the cold yet, or you're kind of thin-skinned, you wear a coat. You turn the heater on. You may even have to wear gloves and a hat. But once you get inside, you take your hat and your scarf and your gloves, and your coat off.

I like it here. I'm stayin'. I'm prayin' for more snow! Denver gets more snow than we do here in Southern Colorado, usually. I'm jealous. There's nothing like seeing the Front Range mountains from Evans Peak to Longs Peak covered in snow for well into the summer! In fact, those peaks can have snow on them year round! Arizona and Nevada and California should be thanking us instead of about it.

Oh, welcome cabolissa! I'll let sportsfangal tell you about our football team.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM

oh yes!! we will have to make sure cabo knows all about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I lived in SoCal until I was 10 years old and I've always loved Colorado weather. I only wish it would snow more and get colder, so as to drive the Arizona, Texas, and Florida snowbirds out for good. Come spring time, I'm sort of sick of the cold and snow and looking forward to the hot 100 or 90 days and 50s to 60s cool evenings. Warm enough to go outside at night with shorts and a tee shirt on. Then in the fall, I'm ready for some snow and football!

I know SoCal good enough... most Californians know what brisk weather is. 40 along the coast seems way colder than 40 on a sunny Colorado winter day. You do acclimate. If you're not used to the cold yet, or you're kind of thin-skinned, you wear a coat. You turn the heater on. You may even have to wear gloves and a hat. But once you get inside, you take your hat and your scarf and your gloves, and your coat off.

I like it here. I'm stayin'. I'm prayin' for more snow! Denver gets more snow than we do here in Southern Colorado, usually. I'm jealous. There's nothing like seeing the Front Range mountains from Evans Peak to Longs Peak covered in snow for well into the summer! In fact, those peaks can have snow on them year round! Arizona and Nevada and California should be thanking us instead of about it.

Oh, welcome cabolissa! I'll let sportsfangal tell you about our football team.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,012,706 times
Got to keep those golf courses green down in Vegas, and Arizona with our high country run off...When the water starts to become more resticted to these down valley
states ,changes in riparian prior appropriation laws are going to dry them up pretty good...Predicted extended droughts, will slowly ravage any greenery left in that region
as well....

Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 AM

175 posts, read 390,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
To answer your title question: YES, cold weather sucks

If you have lived in a place where the winters are mild and warm, like Houston, then Denver will NOT be a happy adaptation. For instance, last night the official low was -5F below zero with wind chills hitting -20F below zero.

Even with winter temps in the 40's and 30's, it is still COLD. You will not like the change. Don't listen to the hype others might say. It is COLD and if you come from a warmer climate like Houston or Florida, you will not take the cold very kindly.
I really have to agree with this poster. If you take a walk and it's 35 degrees and sunny with no wind and dry, it may not feel cold. But it's colder here. Even if you get 70 in the middle of Feb., it drops to 25-30 at night. Which means no deck or outside events in the evening without being bundled up. Remember we are as far north as much of the midwest, which means we not be 20 degrees everyday in the winter and cloudy but overall the winter lingers due to the extreme fluctuations, especially in the Spring!!!. A LOT DEPENDS ON WHAT ACTIVITIES YOU LIKE. If you like to hike during the morning/early afternoon your fine, but if your like me that likes to spend lots and lots of time outside in the evenings having a drink without a coat you'll won't be as happy. Unless you don't mind waiting till at least May or June to be able to do this along with dodging the frequent evening rains when we are not in a drought!

And please please don't take this to heart. If you like more winter and 4 overall seasons you'll be fine. It's just that I had some bad experiences in the higher elevation cold and snow. So you get to hear me gripe!! Sorry but just being honest!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,343,415 times
Default No, in fact cold is much better than the heat

No I don't think that cold weather sucks. It is actually MUCH better than the heat because when it is cold you can always dress warmly and prepare for it. When it is hot, there is not much you can do to stay cool other than going to the nearest air conditioned place and possibly getting a headache because of the air that blows around when the A/C is running. Or you have to go into a swimming pool and there's only so much of that you can do when it is hot.

I myself am not a hot weather lover and would much rather like to see cooler weather which is pretty much nonexistent here in sunny Los Angeles. I guess my body isn't built for hot weather. It can be in the 80s as early as February. It was 81 degrees on the day of the Super Bowl. We had to turn on the A/C in the car in FEBRUARY of all months. When it is 81 that early in the year there is something really wrong. The idea that LA weather is awesome year round is a myth. There is too much smog, dust and pollution and not enough rain. What good is 330 days of sun a year?

Sun is fine but not when it is day after day for months as is the case in LA.

I visited Las Vegas NV in November 1991 and it was 25F one night which is cold for that time of year and in spite of the strong winds, I didn't even make a sound or complain. And in Northern AZ when I was at the Grand Canyon in February 2006 it was 30F and not too bad. It depends what kind of attitude you have towards the cold. if you think it is bad, then it will be. On the other hand, if you are open minded and look for ways to make the most of it you will be fine. Now for those that have joint or muscle problems because of the cold, that's a different story. I think too many people have the wrong attitude when it comes to the cold IMO. They just make it seem worse than what it actually is. If someone always complains of the cold they will subconsciously create an unhappy situation for themselves and be miserable I can guarantee you that. Why? Because the Law of Attraction says that like attracts like so therefore misery loves company. The wrong attitude= disaster.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 AM

86,917 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Generally the "evening rains" referred to above are in the late afternoon (5-6 PM or so), and only last 15 min. or so. I am referring to the summer months. It generally clears and is quite pleasant after that, though it does cool off and doesn't warm up again till the next day. If you like to sit outside year-round in the evening, this is not the place for you.

40 degree latitude is about the same as Champaign, IL or Coloumbus, Ohio. We are not as far north as many midwestern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or