U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Bellevue
67 posts, read 114,602 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love the cold, I could do without more hot weather. Much better when it's dry then when it's humid, hot doesn't feel as hot and cold doesn't feel as cold.
I respectfully disagree with this and many will disagree with me as well, but I think the belief that heat or cold without humidity is better is very overrated.

In my experience heat with or without humidity is hot and cold with or without humidity is cold. I have lived in several different climates and I would have to say that I never used AC as much as I did this past summer in Denver. I can't speak for the cold season just yet and probably will not have too much experience as I will be on my way back to Seattle after the beginning of the new year.

Personally, I like the humidity as it makes me feel alive (I realize I am somewhat weird in this sense).

On the adaptation to climates, personally, I would say that the hardest thing to get used to in the Denver area is the extremes in temperatures that can occur. Take this last week for example, it was 70 one day and in the teens the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
 
862 posts, read 1,644,752 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How can you say that without knowing the person? The only way he's going to know if he can handle it is to visit in winter like I did. .
Yeah, that's sound and wise advice.

Let's see, move 1,000 miles, quit your job, pack all your stuff, sell your home, spend thousands of dollars on fuel and moving expenses, etc. Move to Denver, buy a home or rent, try and find a job, unpack, etc.

After all that, you decide that you hate the cold. Now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: The 719
7,805 posts, read 11,863,093 times
Reputation: 9066
Grow some hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,921,324 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Yeah, that's sound and wise advice.

Let's see, move 1,000 miles, quit your job, pack all your stuff, sell your home, spend thousands of dollars on fuel and moving expenses, etc. Move to Denver, buy a home or rent, try and find a job, unpack, etc.

After all that, you decide that you hate the cold. Now what?
reading comprehension > you

Where did I tell him to move to Denver without checking it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
 
862 posts, read 1,644,752 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
I respectfully disagree with this and many will disagree with me as well, but I think the belief that heat or cold without humidity is better is very overrated.

In my experience heat with or without humidity is hot and cold with or without humidity is cold. I have lived in several different climates and I would have to say that I never used AC as much as I did this past summer in Denver. I can't speak for the cold season just yet and probably will not have too much experience as I will be on my way back to Seattle after the beginning of the new year.

On the adaptation to climates, personally, I would say that the hardest thing to get used to in the Denver area is the extremes in temperatures that can occur. Take this last week for example, it was 70 one day and in the teens the next morning.
Uh oh, you said it. Denver gets "extremes in temperatures" and that it gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. The Denver Chamber of Commerce and its forum hit squad will come after you.

In all seriousness. I am sorry to hear that you went through the expenses and stresses of moving, only to move back to Seattle. Many people "down play" Denver's weather and that is unfortunate as it gives a false representation of the area's true weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 2,711,272 times
Reputation: 434
Ignore LBear as much as is possible; he likes to exaggerate and points out the extremes to further is baseless argument.

The cold in Denver is not as bad as it is in a place with more moisture. Add to that the fact that the sun is stronger and 40-50 degrees in the sun can feel quite warm.

It does get cold, though rarely for long periods.

It is a myth that Denver is cold and snowy all winter -- and one people often buy into before living here. This is the high desert; the weather acts accordingly. It was in the 70's on Monday, and will be back into the high 50's and lower 60's this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Bellevue
67 posts, read 114,602 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
The cold in Denver is not as bad as it is in a place with more moisture.

It does get cold, though rarely for long periods.
Again, I will personally disagree with your point on cold not being as bad in a climate like Denver's because of the lack of humidity for the following reasons.

1. Cold plus the lack of moisture = terror on the epidermis. I have never had to bathe myself in lotion before. Dry skin plus cold can be pretty annoying or painful.

2. From my observation (it may just be because of where I live) the area is quite windy (which makes sense to me geographically) and therefore can make the cold seem colder and do yet another number on the epidermis.

I lived the first 25 years of my life in Central New York (Syracuse area) and it is both moist and cold there in the winter. However, because of the fact that the weather was consistent for the most part, it never seemed that cold. Denver as it has been mentioned seems to possess the ability to go through all four seasons in a day. While that may seem fun for some reasons, it can be annoying for others.

Again, just my personal observations of the weather. Some people think its great, others don't. Most people would probably find themselves somewhere in between. Some people don't care about climate at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,921,324 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
Again, I will personally disagree with your point on cold not being as bad in a climate like Denver's because of the lack of humidity for the following reasons.

1. Cold plus the lack of moisture = terror on the epidermis. I have never had to bathe myself in lotion before. Dry skin plus cold can be pretty annoying or painful.

2. From my observation (it may just be because of where I live) the area is quite windy (which makes sense to me geographically) and therefore can make the cold seem colder and do yet another number on the epidermis.

I lived the first 25 years of my life in Central New York (Syracuse area) and it is both moist and cold there in the winter. However, because of the fact that the weather was consistent for the most part, it never seemed that cold. Denver as it has been mentioned seems to possess the ability to go through all four seasons in a day. While that may seem fun for some reasons, it can be annoying for others.

Again, just my personal observations of the weather. Some people think its great, others don't. Most people would probably find themselves somewhere in between. Some people don't care about climate at all.
So you're the one that likes New York's weather. I know a guy who's originally from Buffalo but lives in Colorado Springs now after traveling the US and Europe while in the Air Force. He says Buffalo was the worst weather he lived in and Colorado is a walk in the park by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Bellevue
67 posts, read 114,602 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So you're the one that likes New York's weather. I know a guy who's originally from Buffalo but lives in Colorado Springs now after traveling the US and Europe while in the Air Force. He says Buffalo was the worst weather he lived in and Colorado is a walk in the park by comparison.
Actually, I did not say I like New York's weather. (I do think the Northeast is often forgotten when it comes to geographic beauty. It really is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. and is quite diverse geographically). My perfect climate doesn't exist. Personally, I just know that Denver is not the climate for me. I want the beauty, geographic diversity and water of Central New York, but not the cold winters (and bad economy) and throw in some real mountains. I have found that the best fit for that is Seattle (no extreme temperatures, and all of the geographic requirements). Now, I have to deal with a little more rain (in frequency, not volume) and I find that an acceptable trade off.

Colorado's winters (so far) seem like a walk in the park compared to Central/Western New York, but personally, I'd rather have moisture with the cold. Additionally, I like a little consistency.

In short, I just don't think its fair to say cold or hot is better with or without humidity, its all subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-06-2008, 03:20 AM
 
862 posts, read 1,644,752 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
From my observation (it may just be because of where I live) the area is quite windy (which makes sense to me geographically) and therefore can make the cold seem colder and do yet another number on the epidermis.

Denver as it has been mentioned seems to possess the ability to go through all four seasons in a day.
You've summed up Denver's climate.

The human body adjusts and adapts to climates. It does NOT like extreme fluctuations within a short period of time. As you said, it can be sunny and 70F and then a day later, it can be -5 below zero and snowing.

Also, Denver is VERY WINDY. In the winter months, it is one of the most windiest spots there is. The state issues wind warnings for Denver. These winds rip through the area from November - May. Boulder gets hammered with 100mph winds.

Good luck with your move back to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top