Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 AM

355 posts, read 1,404,351 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: don't be rude please

yes it gets cold here ....real cold at time but it could be -5 degrees one day and the next day could be in the 50's .....its really odd weather they have here but that what i love bout it

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-06-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:53 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
Did you move from an area of the country that has mild winters? What has life been like for you living in Denver were the winters are cold?

I live in Houston, so Denver winters would be considered cold for me. Have you lived in a place like Houston with a mild winter and then moved to some place cold like Denver. Did you adapt or move back to some place warmer.

I moved here from CA and I like the winter here. I didnt know anything about snow or real cold weather. My idea of cold before was in the 50's for 2 days. Now it wouldnt be winter to me if it didnt snow once in a while and give me a reason to put on gloves and a sweater. My son and dog have adjusted well to the cold too. No compliants from me.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
To answer your title question: YES, cold weather sucks

If you have lived in a place where the winters are mild and warm, like Houston, then Denver will NOT be a happy adaptation. For instance, last night the official low was -5F below zero with wind chills hitting -20F below zero.

Even with winter temps in the 40's and 30's, it is still COLD. You will not like the change. Don't listen to the hype others might say. It is COLD and if you come from a warmer climate like Houston or Florida, you will not take the cold very kindly.

Go away!

My official low at my house was 6. Of course it was warm enough by afternoon that I took a 2 mile walk in a light jacket with twin babies in their stroller. Somehow I didn't die.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Did you move from an area of the country that has mild winters? What has life been like for you living in Denver were the winters are cold?

I live in Houston, so Denver winters would be considered cold for me. Have you lived in a place like Houston with a mild winter and then moved to some place cold like Denver. Did you adapt or move back to some place warmer.
It's not cold all the time. It was quite nice this afternoon and I wore shorts. I could never take the oppressive humidity and heat in Houston, and you don't get breaks from that all summer like you get breaks from the cold here.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
I had on shorts and a wind breaker today, wonderful sunny weather. The only time I like going to Houston during my quarterly visits is during the winter. Otherwise the humidity and hot temps are worse the the coldest day in Denver. We can also get hot in the summer but again, it is only temporary as we do get the four seasons here. One wonderful thing about Denver is the lack of bugs due to the winter and in summer they are very small. In Houston, I thought there was a pack of mice that had covered the neighbors trash outside our corportate apartment. When I got close those, what I thought were mice, took off flying. Co-workers called them 4 inch long Pallmetto Bugs, fancy name for a roach if you ask me!

I love the food and the people in Houston, my favorite Texas city, but the weather is much worse then Denver's. Twice in the last five years my rental car was flooded beyond workability. Our office is in the west loop south/Bellaire area and the rain is significant, followed by floods. The tornado warnings were constant in the late Spring and early Summer. However, November through February are just dreamy with your temps.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
One wonderful thing about Denver is the lack of bugs due to the winter and in summer they are very small. In Houston, I thought there was a pack of mice that had covered the neighbors trash outside our corportate apartment. When I got close those, what I thought were mice, took off flying. Co-workers called them 4 inch long Pallmetto Bugs, fancy name for a roach if you ask me!
I disagree with that. The fly's out in Denver are annoying. They are everywhere and they are the type that get in your face. As far as "mice". Colorado and Denver have a high rate of Hantavirus outbreaks. It is carried by the Deer Mouse. Colorado is #2 in the United States with the highest rate of Hantavirus cases and deaths.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My official low at my house was 6. Of course it was warm enough by afternoon that I took a 2 mile walk in a light jacket with twin babies in their stroller. Somehow I didn't die.

The OFFICIAL LOW was -5F.
Did you get your "official low" using the Wal-Mart digital thermometer or the Home Depot Wall Thermometer?

Last edited by LBear; 12-06-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 PM

351 posts, read 649,906 times
Quote:

Yeah it does suck. But you do gradually get used to it. And compared to much of the East Coast and Midwest, Denver winters are remarkably wild. Denver's "horrible" winters are mostly the figment of media imaginations and sky industry strategies. The truth is that it's much sunnier and even mild than what a lot of people think it is.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Yeah it does suck. But you do gradually get used to it. And compared to much of the East Coast and Midwest, Denver winters are remarkably wild. Denver's "horrible" winters are mostly the figment of media imaginations and sky industry strategies. The truth is that it's much sunnier and even mild than what a lot of people think it is.
Have to agree with this. Having lived pretty much all over the US I find the climate here wonderful. I personally much prefer the dry heat or cold to the humid heat or cold but that is just my personal preference. Windy? Sometimes but having spend many years in the Chicago and outlying areas the wind doesn't seem too bad. We get 4 nice seasons here. Does it get cold? Sure. Does it typically last more that a few days - nah. I think the spring weather is often worse than the winter. As a PP indicated - it's all in your attitude. Come here with a good attitude and realizing it's different from where you came from you'll do fine. Come here with a chip on your shoulder and constantly comparing it to the best of what you left then you'll more than likely be disappointed.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post

The OFFICIAL LOW was -5F.
Did you get your "official low" using the Wal-Mart digital thermometer or the Home Depot Wall Thermometer?

Are you selectively forgetting that the official temp is taken way out at DIA, far from the urban heat island, where no one actually lives and that it can indeed be warmer in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver