U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM

862 posts, read 1,779,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OK, now the puzzle is coming together! If I left Denver, it sure wouldn't be to go live in the oven that is Southern Arizona and the A/C bills that go with it!
Who says I live in southern AZ?

As far as "bills" go. Paying $150-$200 a month in gas bills while living in Denver and then the $100 a month electric bill that goes along with it as you need the air handler to push the gas-heated air.

So you are paying $250-$300+ a month in total utilities to heat a 2,300 sq.ft home while living in Denver.

"Natural-gas users on average will spend $1,216 to heat their homes in the upcoming season, which runs from November to April. That's up 43 percent from last season, the government said."

Winter heating bills set to soar - The Denver Post

That is NOT INCLUDING the cost to run the ELECTRIC air handler to push the natural gas heated air. You can add $100 a month to that cost, so it comes out to $1,816 per winter season to heat a home in Denver. That is $302.67 per month average, on a 2,300 sq.ft., well-insulated modern home. If your home is older and has over 3,000 sq.ft., then the costs almost DOUBLE.

Not to mention, then in the summer, you have to pay a high electric bill to cool the home, as Denver gets into the upper 90F's and even low 100F's in the summer. So you get whammed both in the winter and summer.

Last edited by LBear; 12-08-2008 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,816,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Maybe I do live there???? Who knows????

The one day here and there were it is 60F is meaningless because then it plummets to -5F below zero and then it is in the mid 20F's for a whole week straight.

I am just trying to break this propaganda the Chamber spews and the myth that Denver is warm and its winters are very mild.

Yes, mild compared to the Alaska and the Arctic Circle, just like you pointed out in your post.
And you've got dozens of people on this forum originally from all over the country who say that Denver's weather is pretty mild and the cold isn't that bad. Do they all work for the chamber of commerce?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
but I do not like extremes or 4 seasons in one day which is why I personally do not find Denver's climate that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I, personally, don't like the weather in Denver. While I never found the air temps to be "too cold", the lack of humidity, and the rapid changes in temps drive me nuts.
uh oh, you have upset the Denver Chamber of Commerce and the Denver weather militia. One cannot say anything negative about Denver weather or they will come after you.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 3,966,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And you've got dozens of people on this forum originally from all over the country who say that Denver's weather is pretty mild and the cold isn't that bad. Do they all work for the chamber of commerce?
Maybe all the Coloradans who are distressed by the influx of new residents to Colorado should get together and hire LBear as a PR person, to counter the Chamber of Commerce.

What say ye guys?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,344,974 times
Quote:
Who says I live in southern AZ?

As far as "bills" go. Paying $150-$200 a month in gas bills while living in Denver and then the $100 a month electric bill that goes along with it as you need the air handler to push the gas-heated air.

So you are paying $250-$300+ a month in total utilities to heat a 2,300 sq.ft home while living in Denver.

"Natural-gas users on average will spend $1,216 to heat their homes in the upcoming season, which runs from November to April. That's up 43 percent from last season, the government said."

Winter heating bills set to soar - The Denver Post

That is NOT INCLUDING the cost to run the ELECTRIC air handler to push the natural gas heated air. You can add $100 a month to that cost, so it comes out to $1,816 per winter season to heat a home in Denver. That is $302.67 per month average, on a 2,300 sq.ft., well-insulated modern home. If your home is older and has over 3,000 sq.ft., then the costs almost DOUBLE.

Not to mention, then in the summer, you have to pay a high electric bill to cool the home, as Denver gets into the upper 90F's and even low 100F's in the summer. So you get whammed both in the winter and summer.
That is absolutely not true, and I have the bills to prove it.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,816,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Yeah I know a couple in Colorado Springs and when I was there last summer, he added up his utility bills for me. Gas and electric came to about $2200 for the year. Granted they don't have AC so it keeps the bills down in the summer but overall that's not too bad.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,344,974 times
Our all time highest bill came in February 2007 and was $230, natural gas and electric combined. The kids had turned on the gas fireplace, and because it was in an out-of-the-way spot, it was on for two days straight before we realized what had happened. The next month, our bill plummeted to about $150. In July 2007, our bill was $61. Total spent for energy in 2007 was $1345. We're expecting to be about the same for 2008, so even if our utility bills doubled in 2009, we'd still be way ahead of LBear's dire predictions.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 PM

226 posts, read 639,242 times
So tell us Lbear... How much does it cost you to air condition your house in the desert all year long?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Total spent for energy in 2007 was $1345.
VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Gas and electric came to about $2200 for the year. Granted they don't have AC so it keeps the bills down in the summer but overall that's not too bad.
You have TWO people, both living in Denver and "Formercalifornian" stated they spend $1,345 dollars. While "EscapeCalifornia" stated they paid $2,200 dollars and they did NOT even use A/C.

I believe "Formercalifornian" is lying.

Quote:
I have bills to prove that it does and the news article
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_10048791
clearly states that it does cost that amount.

You see, the facts don't matter to you. It's all smoke and mirrors with you.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,644 times
Quote:
I have bills to prove that it does and the news article
[URL="http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_10048791"]Winter heating bills set to soar - The Denver Post[/URL]
clearly states that it does cost that amount.
Nice quoting outdated news. Energy prices have decreased dramatically. The news article is from July; the peak of the energy panic.

Unfortunately, the feds are not as current as we would like, but you can clearly see from the link below, the decline in natural gas prices since July. More so, one can observe current overall energy costs declining at the pump.
[URL]http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_pri_sum_dcu_nus_m.htm[/URL]

This isn't Chicago or Buffalo. Denver has a very dry climate. Just as humid heat is worse, so is humid cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver