Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Did everyone move here from California and Texas?

Not yet, but I'm working on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I had on shorts and a wind breaker today, wonderful sunny weather. The only time I like going to Houston during my quarterly visits is during the winter. Otherwise the humidity and hot temps are worse the the coldest day in Denver. We can also get hot in the summer but again, it is only temporary as we do get the four seasons here. One wonderful thing about Denver is the lack of bugs due to the winter and in summer they are very small. In Houston, I thought there was a pack of mice that had covered the neighbors trash outside our corportate apartment. When I got close those, what I thought were mice, took off flying. Co-workers called them 4 inch long Pallmetto Bugs, fancy name for a roach if you ask me!

I love the food and the people in Houston, my favorite Texas city, but the weather is much worse then Denver's. Twice in the last five years my rental car was flooded beyond workability. Our office is in the west loop south/Bellaire area and the rain is significant, followed by floods. The tornado warnings were constant in the late Spring and early Summer. However, November through February are just dreamy with your temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I disagree with that. The fly's out in Denver are annoying. They are everywhere and they are the type that get in your face. As far as "mice". Colorado and Denver have a high rate of Hantavirus outbreaks. It is carried by the Deer Mouse. Colorado is #2 in the United States with the highest rate of Hantavirus cases and deaths.
I was not talking about mice or flies but roaches and flooding. One might want to look into what attracts flies to them?

Last edited by DenverAztec; 12-07-2008 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,355 times
Quote:
I was not talking about mice or flies but roaches and flooding. One might want to look into what attracts flies to them?
The flies are attracted to Denver because of Commerce City (man that place is filled with sewage plants and all types of nasty smelly factories), and probably because of all the cattle farms and other smelly, sewage places that litter alongside I-25.

Denver has a lot of ugly and smelly factories that stand right next to the major highways. I-25 is one of the worst and I-76 & I-270 are bad also.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM

68 posts, read 363,503 times
I do not enjoy winter...even though it is just down right beautiful out here...like little christmas villages. I am from OK...so I know more about the ice storms...much rather perfer the snow...its nice out here..it snows and melts the next day..instead of sticking around for months...unless we get a huge one.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Thanks Gungurl! Tell us more about these Ice Storms and how what happens here in Colorado compares to places that get them.

We also have someone who likes to argue that cold temperatures in dry climates like Denver is WORSE than places that have much higher humidity combined with cold. What are your thoughts on this?

Quote:
Colorado is #2 in the United States with the highest rate of Hantavirus cases and deaths.
This is off topic. We were talking about cold weather here, but since you bring it up, Hantavirus is an unfortunate thing and something that I know you follow as well. New Mexico has far and above the most cases. Colorado has 3 more than Arizona has, but I know Arizona can easily overtake us in that stat... it's just a matter of time. But unfortunately, Texas, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oklahoma and states heading east are finding cases of this unfortunate virus. But there again, what do flys and deer mouse droppings have to do with the OPs topic? Nothing.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-07-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Another day is shorts and it is December! We are supposed to have some cooler weather this week but a 60 degree day on a weekend in December is dreamy! Hope everyone got out to enjoy it!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,355 times
Quote:
Another day is shorts and it is December! We are supposed to have some cooler weather this week but a 60 degree day on a weekend in December is dreamy! Hope everyone got out to enjoy it!
Yes, the days are short in December.

Today, the high will be 42F and the low will be 17F and they are forecasting about 3" of snow. On Tuesday, the high will be 32F and the low will be 15F. Then for the rest of the week it will be in the lower 40F's for the high and in the 20F's for the low.

It looks like a front is coming in before the weekend and the temperatures will plummet. They are expecting a high of 19F and the lows will be in the single digits, with below zero temps very possible, and temps getting into the -10F through -30F below zero with the wind chills. Plus more snow showers.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Yes, the days are short in December.

Today, the high will be 42F and the low will be 17F and they are forecasting about 3" of snow. On Tuesday, the high will be 32F and the low will be 15F. Then for the rest of the week it will be in the lower 40F's for the high and in the 20F's for the low.

It looks like a front is coming in before the weekend and the temperatures will plummet. They are expecting a high of 19F and the lows will be in the single digits, with below zero temps very possible, and temps getting into the -10F through -30F below zero with the wind chills. Plus more snow showers.
What do you care. You don't live here. And your little forecaset is funny, how you seem to think you can predict wind chills a week away. I notice you ignore that the past couple days were in the 60s. You should check out the Alaska Forum where you could post alarming weather forecasts for the Arctic Circle

Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,604 times
Whether you think it sucks or not depends a lot on where you're coming from. My sister, who lives in Denver, absolutely loves it. Of course, that was in part b/c she moved from upstate NY, and then Boston, which have terrible winters - very cold, very snowy, to Denver. She considers the winters "mild". If you don't like it, wait a day, and it will be different.

I, personally, don't like the weather in Denver. While I never found the air temps to be "too cold", the lack of humidity, and the rapid changes in temps drive me nuts. Everytime I'm in Denver, I get a "winter eczema" around the belt line, no matter how much lotion I put on. I get nose bleeds from having such dry mucous membranes, and my skin itches and cracks. Ugh. And in the summer, I always have to carry a jacket/windbreaker/light sweater, b/c as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud, it gets chilly. When the sun comes out, it gets hot. So I'm always "on-off-on-off" with the sweater.

When I lived in Chicago, I thought the winters in Denver (minus the dryness issue) were great, b/c there would be days, (b/c of the amount of sunshine that Denver has) that I didn't even need gloves on. Once I moved to San Antonio, and started coming in the winters, I thought the winters were COLD. So it really depends a lot on what you're used to now, and how well you can get acclimatized. Some like it hot, some like it cold.....

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
Did you move from an area of the country that has mild winters? What has life been like for you living in Denver were the winters are cold?

I live in Houston, so Denver winters would be considered cold for me. Have you lived in a place like Houston with a mild winter and then moved to some place cold like Denver. Did you adapt or move back to some place warmer.
There is more to Denver then just the cold, I agree if you go the with a negative attitude your doomed. I spent 13 years in Denver and just moved here to the Houston area. People here would say Denver is a complete different breed or vice versa, I still say people here are a different breed but I am ready for the change of life compared to Denver. Denver has its advantages and its disadvantages, if you want to go "GREEN" you would like Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver