U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

I was recently admitted to the emergency room at university hosp in Aurora and while I was there I had all my cash stolen out of my wallet. Just a warning to anyone going there becareful and BEWARE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,745,184 times
I have heard about a ton at Denver Health. Anytime you are a place where you are not in full control it can happen, especially when you are alone...and they push powerful drugs into you.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,724,628 times
Yeah, it's supposed to be a big no no for those planning on being in the hospital (to have cash on you or in your belongings). They say to make sure you have a delegate there to watch your stuff (and you!). Pretty horrible when you are in the ER though, not like you planned on being there!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,512,377 times
Same bull happens at the gym, at the car wash and in crowds. Sorry this happened to you. Signs of a city growing and the economy shrinking.

The upside is that they didn't do surgery on the wrong body part, right? My mom has had two knee replacements and a hip replacement and the docs always put a big red X on the body part, I guess so they don't forget or so that others don't prep the wrong area.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM

104 posts, read 257,600 times
Is this Morty Seinfeld?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,849,612 times
One thing I have noticed about Denver.

People out here just leave their stuff laying around in public places. Women will leave their purses somewhere in a store and just walk around leaving it unattended. People are always doing that with their jackets. I've even seen people leave wallets sticking out of pockets in their coats, they just throw it on a chair or table and wander around. I've never seen this kind of thing anywhere else, besides tiny towns.

No offense to the poster. I don't know all the details of his situation. Maybe he was being very careful. But a lot of people in this city are just asking for it. I don't know what they are thinking.

Keep your cash and jewelry on you at all times. I learned this when I was a little kid. But I grew up in California so I learned quick.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Funky: Proof this isn't a "real" city. Proof that it's slowly becoming a "real" city when people do what you are talking about and then are shocked when they are ripped off.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM

965 posts, read 864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

People out here just leave their stuff laying around in public places. But a lot of people in this city are just asking for it. I don't know what they are thinking.

Keep your cash and jewelry on you at all times. I learned this when I was a little kid. But I grew up in California so I learned quick.
I think people in Denver are use to people being honest. Maybe people like you should go back to California and let Denver return to the way it once was. I've lived in Denver for decades and I never had problems leaving my stuff lying around until recently. I developed a habit growing up here of placing my wallet on any near surface when sitting down (bartop, table at restaurant, etc) because I didn't like sitting on it. I hate it that I can't really do this anymore without worrying about it being stolen. I also can't remember a single time growing up where my parents locked a house or car door (they do now though).

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM

965 posts, read 864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

People out here just leave their stuff laying around in public places. Women will leave their purses somewhere in a store and just walk around leaving it unattended.
Haha. I was just reading another thread on here from a woman moving to Denver from Miami. She commented on how shocked she was that when she visited Water World all the women would leave their purses unattended with their towels when going swimming/on the rides. She said you could never do that in Miami.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Raman: So you take your purse with you on the water ride? joking.

But yeah, it's silly. For awhile, there was (supposedly one) purse snatcher in Lodo. Everyone was telling everyone to watch out and keep your purse close. As if it's hard to just walk around hefting purses here since people enjoy plopping them down behind their chair or wherever they can't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver