U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,899,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My extended family in Nebraska used to do that, too. My MIL obsessed about every little flake. I remember one time in July when she said "It snowed in Denver"! I had to gently tell her, no, maybe in the mountains, but not in Denver. My family in Pennsylvania had less trouble believing that Denver's weather is very changeable, as so is Pittsburgh's!
The same thing happens to us any time there's an earthquake or a wild fire. My mom's family in Pittsburgh doesn't understand that the fires only affect areas right up against undeveloped land and we live 25 miles away in a sea of concrete. Same thing with an earthquake: They see news footage of one damaged building over and over and think the entire region is a disaster area when 99.9% of us are just fine. They hear "Colorado" or "Los Angeles" and think whatever affects one part of it applies the the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Today, you folks are going to have a HIGH temperature of 15 degrees.......that is one definite reason we had to move away! Years ago I could have handled a day-time temperature of that, but there "ain't no way, ain't no how" anymore! But, it could be worse.....Minot, North Dakota is -16 right now! Another.......

Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 AM

86,904 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Today, you folks are going to have a HIGH temperature of 15 degrees.......that is one definite reason we had to move away! Years ago I could have handled a day-time temperature of that, but there "ain't no way, ain't no how" anymore! But, it could be worse.....Minot, North Dakota is -16 right now! Another.......
It is 19 in my backyard right now, with bright sunshine, and no, the sensor is not against the house, it's out in the garden. There is a wind.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM

261 posts, read 621,288 times
Quote:
We live in Denver and are headed to South Florida asap to escape the "mild" winters. I do metalwork for a living and have to have my shop windows and doors open for most of the day with an exhaust fan running because of my forge.

I got really busy this winter and have been working 7 days a week since October. I ended up getting pretty sick last week when it was highs of 2 and 10 degrees. A few warm sunny days here and there does not a mild winter make.

However, I do understand that it's better than the Northeast or Midwest out here, because we do get some relief.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,899,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
We live in Denver and are headed to South Florida asap to escape the "mild" winters. I do metalwork for a living and have to have my shop windows and doors open for most of the day with an exhaust fan running because of my forge.
So you'd rather sweat yourself to death in the humidity?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM

261 posts, read 621,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So you'd rather sweat yourself to death in the humidity?
Yeah, I enjoy tropical weather. Sure, I'll be uncomfortable for 3-4 months out of the year, but the rest of the year is 78-80 and perfect. I grew up in the south, so the humidity doesn't bother me too much. I like humid, coastal weather better than upper 90s - 100+ and dry week after week. Pick your poison. Colorado's just too extreme for me. Freezing in the winter, hot and bone dry in the summer.

Have you ever tried working with your hands for 8-10 hours a day in below freezing temps for weeks on end? I'll take humidity over split fingers, frozen digits, and snot flying everywhere.

I understand why a lot of people love Colorado, I'm just giving a different viewpoint from someone who can't curl up with a novel and a latte by the fire every time the temperature drops. If we all liked the same thing, we'd all end up in the same place.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
We agree with you, blacksmith76! We moved from Denver to the Charlotte, NC area and are now moving to Florida. After 5 1/2 yrs in Denver metro, the winters just got to us and we had to say "no more". Then we moved to NC, where the winters are better, but the area just isn't our "cup of tea". So, it's off to Florida to enjoy the warmth/sunshine of their winters! Humidity can be bad, BUT so can freezing-snowy/blinding snow of the Denver metro area winters! For the people who love it there, "fine, you can have it"! There are lots of people who love the winters of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesotta and other States. And, we met a lot of people in Denver that couldn't figure out why anyone would want to live in the winters of those States!
As for us, we don't want to wear a winter parka any more and are glad that we gave our snow shovel to the Goodwill!!

Quote:
Yeah, I enjoy tropical weather. Sure, I'll be uncomfortable for 3-4 months out of the year, but the rest of the year is 78-80 and perfect. I grew up in the south, so the humidity doesn't bother me too much. I like humid, coastal weather better than upper 90s - 100+ and dry week after week. Pick your poison. Colorado's just too extreme for me. Freezing in the winter, hot and bone dry in the summer.

Have you ever tried working with your hands for 8-10 hours a day in below freezing temps for weeks on end? I'll take humidity over split fingers, frozen digits, and snot flying everywhere.

I understand why a lot of people love Colorado, I'm just giving a different viewpoint from someone who can't curl up with a novel and a latte by the fire every time the temperature drops. If we all liked the same thing, we'd all end up in the same place.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM

862 posts, read 2,354,660 times
Quote:
We live in Denver and are headed to South Florida asap to escape the "mild" winters. I ended up getting pretty sick last week when it was highs of 2 and 10 degrees.

A few warm sunny days here and there does not make a mild winter.
Your last line pretty much sums it up.

Currently, it is 9F!

Last edited by LBear; 12-22-2008 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
We agree with you, blacksmith76! We moved from Denver to the Charlotte, NC area and are now moving to Florida. After 5 1/2 yrs in Denver metro, the winters just got to us and we had to say "no more". Then we moved to NC, where the winters are better, but the area just isn't our "cup of tea". So, it's off to Florida to enjoy the warmth/sunshine of their winters! Humidity can be bad, BUT so can freezing-snowy/blinding snow of the Denver metro area winters! For the people who love it there, "fine, you can have it"! There are lots of people who love the winters of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesotta and other States.
Denver winters are from from "mild". They are cold, snowy, arctic and can be harsh. Sure compared to the frozen tundra of Minnesota or Wisconsin, a Denver winter can be a little "milder" than Minnesota but OVERALL, Denver is by no means "mild" in its winter or weather overall.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The forcast this morning said Christmas should be sunny and 56, so plan your barbeque accordingly!
It's been in the single digits at night, with a couple of below zero days, with daytime highs averaging in the low 30's.

This week, the forecast is:

Monday - 33F high 18F low
Tuesday - 27F high 18F low (snow)
Wednesday - 33F high 10F low (snow)
Christmas - 42F high 16F low

The above is not a mild winter by any means. 65F & 70F+ and sunny is a mild winter.

Outdoor barbeque's with 56F and sunny on Christmas?
The odds of that happening is very, very unlikely.

One day of 50's does not make up for the rest of the cold and snow.
Quote:
A few warm sunny days here and there does not make a mild winter.
Currently, it is 9F!

Last edited by LBear; 12-22-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or