U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM

402 posts, read 1,135,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
you better spend a winter in the Charlotte, NC area where the word "mild" is a real winter word!
I did for over 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,718,689 times
Quit feeding the trolls people!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
People AREN'T "trolls" when they speak the truth, tell FACTS!! And, I don't know about LBear, but we have plenty of photos and video to prove the FACTS about Denver area winters we lived in!! If I want to see snow again, I just pop a homemade DVD in and look at it......that definitely reminds us WHY we left!! Also, FACT IS, lots of people in Southern Calif. were very curious why we wanted to move to a State (Colorado) where we would be living in snow/cold/icy weather. At that time, we told them, "because we want to". We already knew what living in "winter" was like, us originally being from Indiana and Michigan. But, age and surgeries made us leave. We both had very good paying jobs, living in a very nice area (Parker) and absolutely loved our summer boating fun. But, winter just became too much/too painful for us to handle any more (just like LBear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Quit feeding the trolls people!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,903 times
Hi Folks,
everyone has a different idea of what constitutes: mild, cold etc.
But it is only the weather, no need to be rude to other members over this topic, IMO

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 AM

862 posts, read 2,357,688 times
Quote:
People AREN'T "trolls" when they speak the truth, tell FACTS!!
THANK YOU!

Quote:
But, age and surgeries made us leave. We both had very good paying jobs, living in a very nice area (Parker) and absolutely loved our summer boating fun. But, winter just became too much/too painful for us to handle any more (just like LBear).
I don't mind Denver summers. The weather can be "erratic" in the summer but it is the best season in Denver.

Quote:
We think that LBear is right......the winters in Denver metro, at least where we lived in Englewood and Parker got pretty harsh for the 5 1/2 yrs we lived there! And, we heard a lot of folks there say the "mild" word to us also, which (sometimes) was a real "downplay" word of the winter weatherz!
The term "mild" is so misused by many Denver residents. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that people want to believe that it is not as cold and harsh, so in essence, they lie to themselves and create a false sense of reality.

I had a friend that lived in Englewood and I visited Parker quite often. Being from the Midwest, I found Denver winters to be just as cold and harsh, but with more sunshine. The sun was the main difference. Denver also has HUGE temperature swings/drops in the winter from daytime to nighttime temps. It can be 35F in the day and then drop to 2F at night. The elevation contributes to 30-40 degree temperature swings.

Quote:
But, when you folks get to the 55 plus age and possilbly have a hip replacement or rotor cup surgery, you may then understand why some people have to leave the Denver area and move to Florida.
Right on!

I know older people who will not leave their home when it snows because of the fear of falling on the ice. Even I took a couple spills on the ice. Whether getting out of my truck in a parking lot or walking on the sidewalk, it is dangerous.

When your young, you can break a bone and heal quickly. When you are older, you can break a bone and die from the injuries or face serious crippling injuries.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 AM

862 posts, read 2,357,688 times
Tuesday 22F / 5F with 2"-4" of snow
Wednesday 32F / 5F
Christmas 39F /12F

Even the Denver forecast has the following statement:
"A nice and mild day for Christmas."

This is what is considered "mild" to some...

Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,021,604 times
Denver has a very mild Mediterranean climate with palm trees...I wear shorts every day here, not sure what others are talking about.....

Old 12-23-2008, 06:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,771,421 times
LBear, I already agreed with you that Denver isn't mild, so now what? Why do you always have to comment on it? what difference does it make? When I say "mild" I don't mean 65 in winter. We know that Denver weather is not Florida weather.
I take mild to mean compared to a place like Buffalo, Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska, places like that. I don't think many people think mild means 65 in winter in Colorado? That's where the issue seems lost on me. No one is denying that it is a cold winter state, with some days that can get below 0, etc. But, a few random days of 55 degress in December is a unique thing, and it does make up for 20 - 30 degree temps because it gives you a chance to get outside and do things or run errands when it was too cold to do it before.
Does it really matter? Nothing is going to change, what is it you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
You take it as "complaining", while I simply state that it is discussing the weather.

The main issue here is the terminology & false perception used by some. The word "mild" is so ambiguous.
5F is "mild" when compared to -45F. Just like 95F is "mild" compared to 115F.

Here is the reality. The weather in Denver is NOT mild. The winters are NOT mild. A "mild" winter would be an average temperature of 65F+ during the day. So, places like Florida, Phoenix Arizona and SoCal would be better fit with the word "mild" during winter.

The so-called "logic" some people use is that a 55F temp in December makes up for the majority of 5F low and 25F high days. Somehow that one or two days of 50F temps make up for the 29 days of 5F and 30F temps?!?!?!?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,771,421 times
I don't compare a place like FL or NC or AZ, etc to CO. How can you compare a place where it snows in winter to a place where it doesn't (normally) snow in winter?
To me, winters are mild in CO compared to harsh climates in AK, MN, NY, ND, SD, places like that?
Is this what the argument has been the whole time? that CO isn't warm like FL in winter???? IMO, it is ridiculous to compare CO to FL in winter!!! I don't think many people on here expect it to be 50 - 60 degrees in the winter.

Quote:
We think that LBear is right......the winters in Denver metro, at least where we lived in Englewood and Parker got pretty harsh for the 5 1/2 yrs we lived there! And, we heard a lot of folks there say the "mild" word to us also, which (sometimes) was a real "downplay" word of the winter weatherz! You folks want to say the word "mild", you better spend a winter in the Charlotte, NC area where the word "mild" is a real winter word! Or, lets look at it this way, the entire time I grew up on a farm in northern Indiana, we never once had snow during Halloween......we seen Halloween outside decor covered in snow when we lived there! While living in Indiana, we never had snow on Mother's Day Weekend.......it sure can/does happen in Denver! Yes, we loved Colorado summers, but the winters ended up making us move (already stated). LBear is like us, moving to Florida, but only stating a FACT when saying how some people call winters there "mild" and that just isn't some years! You folks like it, you folks stay! But, when you folks get to the 55 plus age and possilbly have a hip replacement or rotor cup surgery, you may then understand why some people have to leave the Denver area and move to Florida.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM

14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Quote:
People AREN'T "trolls" when they speak the truth, tell FACTS
What's up LoveBoating? Wow, his initials are LB too.

How about this fact, LB? The main reason you moved to NC is because you fell in the snow and hurt yourself. I've had a spill or two as well and it's no fun. Especially when you fall backwards onto a step and land on your gizzards and have to lay in the cold snow and ice for a minute until the pain stops burning. A couple of massage therapys and I was as good as rain.

But I, for one, did not see the need to move. It sure is gonna get cold these next two weeks and we've got family comin' in from southern Florida! This will be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or