U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I have encountered the same thing with some Denver residents. They become angry and hateful when you tell them that the winters are harsh.

Here is the crux of it.
When I asked one of them personally, one on one, why they become defensive about the weather, why they become angry and hostile, they admitted the following:

They said that they are jealous and angry that they cannot move out of Denver. Money, jobs, and the whole ordeal of moving is preventing them from moving out. Therefore, they know they are stuck in Denver and hate the winters. So when someone states that the winters are harsh, they become resentful and take out their anger on that person because they can't leave Denver because of financial and other reasons.
Ok, one unidentified person says that. How about all the rest of us on this forum? I had decided to quit responding to you, LBear, b/c it just seems to encourage you to post these forecasts, wind chills, etc. But I can't let this one go. What about the many more of us who like it here more and more every winter? I don't know where you grew up, or lived before you lived in Denver, but coming here from the midwest was a sweet surprise! I've been known to complain it was too warm on some winter days, though I don't feel that way so much any more, now that I am working almost full time again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,763,836 times
Reputation: 4502
Once again, why do you and Loveboating find it so appealing to salt the fields behind you? Some of us really are comfortable here, snow, cold and all. Those Coloradoans who are unhappy are free to seek their bliss elsewhere.

I really would like to understand what you two get out of this argument. I wish I could believe that this is all about balanced opinions, but it seems to be much more confrontational than a simple discussion of the weather.

Do yourselves a favor: try to bloom where you're planted, and leave the rest of us to do so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
 
862 posts, read 2,357,688 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Once again, why do you and Loveboating find it so appealing to salt the fields behind you? Some of us really are comfortable here, snow, cold and all. Those Coloradoans who are unhappy are free to seek their bliss elsewhere.

I really would like to understand what you two get out of this argument. I wish I could believe that this is all about balanced opinions, but it seems to be much more confrontational than a simple discussion of the weather.

Do yourselves a favor: try to bloom where you're planted, and leave the rest of us to do so, too.
We are simply stating the facts and warning others to beware of the misconceptions that are prevalent about Denver's weather. These misconceptions are perpetuated by the Chamber of Commerce, some forum members, Denver Realtors, any many other sources.

You see, places like Chicago are known to be cold and harsh in the winter. They make no bones about it. Denver wants to draw on a false appeal that its winters are "mild". So they trick people into thinking that a Denver winter is "mild". The term "mild" is so general, so ambiguous, that it spins the truth.

We are here to tell you like it is. Denver winters are harsh and cold. If you think they are mild, then you are wrong and lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 01:38 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,763,836 times
Reputation: 4502
Quote:
If you think they are mild, then you are wrong and lying.
No; I would not be wrong or lying. I would be stating an opinion based on my subjective experience.

Mild may be an ambiguous term, but so are harsh and cold. To someone from Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, New York, or anywhere in New England, Colorado winters would seem mild by comparison. On the other hand, to someone from Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, or southern California, Colorado winters would seem comparatively harsh.

I appreciate the posts you've made giving official temperatures, snowfalls, etc., because that is truly useful and unbiased information. But, please don't complain about the subjectiveness of the term mild when you are using terms just a subjective. That's arguing for the sake of arguing.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-24-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
We are simply stating the facts and warning others to beware of the misconceptions that are prevalent about Denver's weather. These misconceptions are perpetuated by the Chamber of Commerce, some forum members, Denver Realtors, any many other sources.

You see, places like Chicago are known to be cold and harsh in the winter. They make no bones about it. Denver wants to draw on a false appeal that its winters are "mild". So they trick people into thinking that a Denver winter is "mild". The term "mild" is so general, so ambiguous, that it spins the truth.

We are here to tell you like it is. Denver winters are harsh and cold. If you think they are mild, then you are wrong and lying.
But. . . oh, I give up! Maybe since you have done your "public service", you could just stop posting about this for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
 
7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
Reputation: 4567
I have a cousin (63 yrs old) that lives in Garrett, Indiana and hates the winter months there! She might hate the winter, but she doesn't want to sell her house and move to a better-to-no winter at all climate! But, when winter starts up, she will tell us how much she loves to see the snow fall during the holidays, but sure hates going out into the stuff.......and states that to us. We listen to her "grumble", but if she doesn't want to move, she has to tolerate the weather. As stated in another Post, "I never had snow on Halloween or on Mothers Day while living in northern Indiana, BUT it sure can/does happen there in Denver!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I have encountered the same thing with some Denver residents. They become angry and hateful when you tell them that the winters are harsh.

Here is the crux of it.
When I asked one of them personally, one on one, why they become defensive about the weather, why they become angry and hostile, they admitted the following:

They said that they are jealous and angry that they cannot move out of Denver. Money, jobs, and the whole ordeal of moving is preventing them from moving out. Therefore, they know they are stuck in Denver and hate the winters. So when someone states that the winters are harsh, they become resentful and take out their anger on that person because they can't leave Denver because of financial and other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
 
7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
Reputation: 4567
One afternoon, while living in Parker, I turned on the local tv news/weather station. Weather came on and they said "the metro area is having some light snow flurries right now which will increase later tonight". I looked outside our living room window and the snow was coming down so hard, with wind, that I couldn't even see the house across the street from us!! I thought, "even the weather people downplay the snow here!". Now, their radar covers the entire Denver metro/suburban areas so they could SEE that the snow was flying "hard and mighty" at our house, but they reported "light snow flurries" instead of "light snow flurries in downtown, but the southern areas are getting hit hard with snow/wind". That would have been the TOTAL TRUE weather going on like radar was showing.

And, as another Poster stated that "a lot of people here love the winter weather", we did talk to numerous people that DON'T but couldn't/didn't want to due to jobs/salary, family, health reasons or trying to sell their house.
Oh well, enough is enough, we are done here. That is, unless someone wants to "slam" us again, THEN I will have to have my "word" about that! Don't "slam", we won't post anymore.....simple as that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Thornton
402 posts, read 1,135,090 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
As stated in another Post, "I never had snow on Halloween or on Mothers Day while living in northern Indiana, BUT it sure can/does happen there in Denver!!"
No one has ever refuted anything like that. We've told/do tell people that it can snow just about any month here, with a few obvious mid-summer exceptions where it would be an obvious abnormal event. We refute that because YOU think it's not mild then anyone who says they thinks it is mild is wrong. So I brought other comments of yours from across the boards in to show you're general negative, nothing besides Florida and San Diego is good weather attitude so people can consider where those comments are coming from. If they choose to believe you 100% on your word, then that is their judgment call, I'm just giving them more information so they can make that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
The term "mild" is so general, so ambiguous, that it spins the truth. ... If you think they are mild, then you are wrong and lying.
So, if people don't agree with YOUR definition of "mild" they are wrong. I guess that's where everyone else's (besides LoveBoating and some anonymous people you keep referring to) basic arguments are flawed. It's because they just don't define "mild" the same way you do. (I know how much you like those specific emoticons, so I figured I'd through a few in for good humor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,852,394 times
Reputation: 9138
Default Well, I am relishing the thought of some "ol' time winter weather"

This just ought to make LBear spin into orbit--from the NWS Grand Junction office:

Quote:
Precipitation-wise...today will be rather quiet as we look foreword
to the next winter storm which will come in a two pronged attack. One
shortwave will move onshore over Southern California this afternoon
and across the Desert Southwest tonight. This wave weakens as a
stronger low pressure system moves into the Pacific northwest. This
second trough and its associated cold front will be responsible for
the heaviest snow.


Clouds ahead of the first wave will quickly move over the forecast
area this morning in a moist warm advection pattern...and thicken by
the afternoon. With increasing southwest flow and isentropic upglide
a moist over-running situation will develop with a chance of snow
developing over the mountains this afternoon. Initially the southern
mountains will be favored with snow widespread there by this
evening...with snow widespread snow across the other mountains and
the southwest Colorado valleys by around midnight. Snow will then
increase across the remainder of the forecast area by sunrise
Christmas morning. Strong southwest winds will increase...especially
over higher and exposed terrain producing blowing and drifting
snow...and at times locally white-out conditions.


The warm moist advective pattern will continue through Christmas day
with significant accumulations expected over the mountains and
possible in the valleys. This situation similar to the widespread and
locally heavy prefrontal snow that fell on Monday. The surface front
will reach northeast Utah during the evening...then proceed to the
southeast overnight. Heavy snow and very strong winds are expected in
the vicinity of the front...with the front still over the south by
sunrise Friday.


Have upgraded all mountains to winter storm warnings at this time...
along with the southwest Colorado valleys in The Four Corners area.
These new warnings begins at midnight tonight and remain in effect
through Friday. Then have extended the winter storm watches for the
other valley areas through Friday as well.
And for the San Juan mountains of southwestern Colorado:

Quote:
... Winter Storm Warning now in effect from 6 PM this evening to
6 PM MST Thursday...
... Blizzard Warning in effect from 6 PM Thursday to 6 PM MST
Friday...

The National Weather Service in Grand Junction has issued a
Blizzard Warning... which is in effect from 6 PM Thursday to 6 PM
MST Friday. The Winter Storm Warning is now in effect from 6 PM
this evening to 6 PM MST Thursday.

A major winter storm will bring another period of heavy snow to
the area starting tonight and continuing through Christmas day.
Snowfall totals with this Christmas storm will range from 8 to 15
inches by Christmas afternoon.

Blizzard conditions will develop Christmas night with sustained
winds of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 80 mph over mountain passes.
Snow will be heavy and continuous into Friday morning with
whiteout conditions. Mountain passes will become impassable.

Storm totals from tonight through Friday afternoon will range
from 18 to 36 inches. South facing slopes around 10000 feet may
reach 4 feet of new snow. Some snow drifts will exceed 6 to 8 feet.

Motorists should be prepared for severe winter weather driving
conditions Christmas and Thursday night.

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions... making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel... have a winter survival kit with you. If you get
stranded... stay with your vehicle.
This is the kind of winter storm that separates the Colorado-wannabe pansies from the people who accept Colorado's climate and weather for what it is--and actually get out and enjoy it. Personally, a couple of feet of snow wouldn't bother me at all. I've always liked winter weather, and I still do now. Just walked the 1/2 block to the mailbox and back without a jacket. It's 22°--what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Thornton
402 posts, read 1,135,090 times
Reputation: 153
mild (mīld)
adj. mild·er, mild·est
  1. Gentle or kind in disposition, manners, or behavior.
    1. Moderate in type, degree, effect, or force: a mild pipe tobacco; a mild sedative.
    2. Not extreme: a mild winter storm.
    3. Warm and full of sunshine; pleasant: a mild spring day; mild weather in June.
  2. Not severe or acute: a mild fever.
  3. Easily molded, shaped, or worked; malleable: mild steel.

ex·treme (ĭk-strēm')
adj.
  1. Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest: the extreme edge of the field.
  2. Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree; very intense: extreme pleasure; extreme pain.
  3. Extending far beyond the norm: an extreme conservative. See Synonyms at excessive.
  4. Of the greatest severity; drastic: took extreme measures to conserve fuel.
norm (nôrm)
n.
  1. A standard, model, or pattern regarded as typical: the current middle-class norm of two children per family.
  2. Mathematics
    1. A mode.
    2. An average.
    3. The length of a vector.
"For the contiguous U.S., the December 2007 mean temperature was 33.6°F"
[source: NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - 2007 was Tenth Warmest for U.S., Fifth Warmest Worldwide ]

Denver's "MONTHLY MEAN......................... 30.3"
[source: NWS Denver/Boulder, CO - Product Viewer ]

So here's some basic logic (there are classes you can take to learn logic if you need):

If extreme is "far beyond the norm"
AND
norm is a mode/average
AND
33.6 degrees was the national average in December
AND
30.3 degrees is Denver's Average in December
AND
mild is "not extreme"

You can conclude that Denver is NOT extreme and therefore for IS mild.
unless you're telling me a 3 degree difference from average is extreme!?

Last edited by zionvier; 12-24-2008 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: wanted to highlight the conclusion :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top