U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM

862 posts, read 2,354,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
So, how well does the city (and its near by suburbs) deal with the snow? Does the city get back to live pretty quickly after a decent snow storm?

Also, how often does it get below around 20F or so.
Well, tomorrow (Sunday) they have forecast an Arctic front coming in, with the high being 20F and the lows going into the single digits. The lows on Monday will be close to zero, with wind chills making it -10F to -20F below zero. Also, about 4"+ of snowfall.

They will spray Magnesium Chloride on the streets. It helps to melt the ice and snow but it destroys & attacks electrical, brakes, aluminum and a lot of other stuff on the cars. It is corrosive and for some reason it really attacks and will pit aluminum and chrome. My rims on my truck were pitted from the stuff. They call it the "mocha mix", as it turns your car and the snow a dark brown color. Plus, they add "glue agents" to make it adhere to the streets but in turn it adheres to your car. Man, that stuff will NOT come off. That is what makes it so corrosive. It adheres to your car parts and will not come off.

The roads can be bad and highways are known to shutdown. I-70 is notorious but that is in the mountains. I-25 is a zoo and usually gridlocks with any amount of snow fall. I-76 is bad around Denver but clears as you head N/E.

Just do some research. Denver is known for having erratic and extreme weather. Yes, it can be 50F in December but it also can be -45F. Meteorologists use Denver to study everything from blizzards, tornadoes, hail storms, winds storms, thunderstorms, drought, floods, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:02 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,377,003 times
I don't think it has ever been -45 degrees.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,012,159 times
Some of us take advantage of the snow on the ground and cross country ski, snow shoe in the foothills....Denver/Boulder are among the nation's fittest populations because we do play year round....If you have a reasonable vehicle and learn how to drive...roads are reasonable except in rare cases...You should consider coming out here when it's colder than average & see what you think personally...Although I am Colorado Native, I too have lived in SO. Cal....love the weather along that coast...

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM

862 posts, read 2,354,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think it has ever been -45 degrees.
The coldest temperature ever recorded in Denver (not counting wind chill) was -39F below zero. It hit -25F below zero on December, 22, 1990 with numerous other times between then with temps in the negative double digits. This again, is NOT counting wind chill factors.

Denver Sets New Record Low - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

On February 02, 2007, at 4:44 a.m. Friday morning, Denver International Airport dropped to 18 degrees below zero, setting a new record low for Feb. 2. The previous low temperature was 16 degrees below zero, last set in 1996.

The life-threatening temperatures were accompanied by unbelievably low wind chill temperatures, in the 25 below to 50 below zero range.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
The coldest temperature ever recorded in Denver (not counting wind chill) was -39F below zero. It hit -25F below zero on December, 22, 1990 with numerous other times between then with temps in the negative double digits. This again, is NOT counting wind chill factors.
This is an incredibly rare occurrence. If you can handle Pitt, you can handle Denver.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 PM

90 posts, read 338,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
So, how well does the city (and its near by suburbs) deal with the snow? Does the city get back to live pretty quickly after a decent snow storm?
Yes, but not because of the snow plows. Denver has something called "extreme sunniness" which takes care of the roads and sidewalks pretty damn quickly. Unlike Pennsylvania where it takes much longer to melt the snow.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
Yes, but not because of the snow plows. Denver has something called "extreme sunniness" which takes care of the roads and sidewalks pretty damn quickly. Unlike Pennsylvania where it takes much longer to melt the snow.
And, if I might add, consider purchasing property with a west- or south-facing driveway to take advantage of nature's snowplow. Our current house faces directly west. We hardly ever have any snow build-up on our driveway, and what doesn't blow or melt away quickly is generally handled easily with a shovel (the exception comes in spring when the snow is heavy and wet, but at least it melts fast). Our neighbors who face north and east suffer extreme drifting and all own snow-blowers.

We also live on a snow route, which means the city plows early and often.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:29 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,012,159 times
It's 70 degrees in Denver right now---supposed to be beach weather all week...that's about as ridiculous as to the false information put out by the Denver axe grinder....has nothing to do in Arizona---so he posts here....his message is Denver is cold, it's terrible, get out while you can...Unfortunatly we have a few that escape from the labs here and there...I personally would not live here if this was some cold wasteland.....

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-14-2008 at 02:08 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 06:11 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,872,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
It's 70 degrees in Denver right now---supposed to be beach weather all week...that's about as ridiculous as to the false information put out by the Denver axe grinder....has nothing to do in Arizona---so he posts here....his message is Denver is cold, it's terrible, get out while you can...Unfortunatly we have a few that escape from the labs here and there...I personally would not live here if this was some cold wasteland.....
70 degrees at 4am? That rarely happens in Denver even during the summer.
What I am looking at says that it is 5 degrees and snowing.
Of course, I do realize that Denver temps can fluctuate.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 AM

86,915 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Sorry Scott, I don't know what you were smoking when you looked at that thermometer. Maybe the indoor temp? When we went to bed around 11 PM, it was 31 here in Louisville and now there is snow on the ground which was predicted. It's not supposed to get more than 40ish for the next five days. It's 37 right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or