U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:04 PM

3,849 posts, read 6,771,421 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think LBear is just doing this to rile people up. He probably could care less about the weather. Let's let him figure it out for himself from now on. He knows where I-25 or I-70 is, he can get out of dodge if he hates it here so much. Call and cry to the Chamber, or take it up with God if you don't like ir, what do you want us to do? Ok, LBear you are so right, the weather sucks, the Chamber lied, it's below zero every day, my nose bleeds too, my body's in shock too, we're all in denial. There does that make you feel better? we all agree with you now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,021,604 times
Actully a good majority of summit, Eagle county residents are from Denver: it's pretty common here to head up to your ski condo summer and winter for a few days...The majority of summit county out of area owners are from Denver -----nice try.....

Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,763,836 times
What is the point in all this complaining? It's cold, frigidly cold! I don't think anybody is in denial about it. People who can't tolerate the weather or don't enjoy it are free to live elsewhere. But, it's obvious from this thread that many of us are perfectly happy here, temperature extremes and all. So, why all the belly-aching, LBear? We get it! You hate Denver weather. End of discussion.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM

my thoughts exactly. he claims to just sit back an laugh at our responses, so let's not respond to him anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
What is the point in all this complaining? It's cold, frigidly cold! I don't think anybody is in denial about it. People who can't tolerate the weather or don't enjoy it are free to live elsewhere. But, it's obvious from this thread that many of us are perfectly happy here, temperature extremes and all. So, why all the belly-aching, LBear? We get it! You hate Denver weather. End of discussion.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM

If anything, this thread has reminded of another reason to love Colorado people: they're built from hearty stock, including the transplants. Even when things get tough, we keep going. Bus service was canceled for Cherry Creek School District this morning, but the kids still showed up, and a few of them even walked! Mother Nature tried her darndest, but she just couldn't keep us down.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM

402 posts, read 1,135,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
You must work for the Denver Chamber of Commerce. Here let me quote some things out of your article:

"seven Colorado counties are the top seven ranked counties in the nation, all with a life expectancy of 81.3 years
Clear Creek, Eagle, Gilpin, Grand, Jackson, Park and Summit"

How many and which of those counties are part of Denver??? Hmmmmm?????
How many and which of those counties are part of Denver??? Hmmmmm?????
If you think the mountain communities near Denver have nothing to do with living in Denver, then I find it hard to believe you know anything about Denver more than just the stats you try to bulimicly spew up.
Just because they are not "Denver suburbs" doesn't mean they don't have the same, or even more drastic temperature changes.

Yes the article focuses on reasons that could cause the older life expectancy in those counties, but there obviously isn't one single reason for it. If there was, it would be called the fountain of youth, and you're not implying that exists are you?

As for some of those pieces you plucked out, lets take a look:

Quote:
The article makes it clear that:

"There are tourists who come to Colorado's high country and end up with blinding headaches and debilitating nausea from the altitude. There are locals who, reaching a certain age, decamp with their oxygen bottles to Denver."
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that entire thing was based on ALTITUDE!!!! NOT temperature. So I think it's safe to say your argument on that one is debunked.

Quote:
"But among those who stay, there's at least one constant: even in their dotage, people remain full of life. The question is: why?
I think this might actually fight against your own argument about the climate negatively effecting people. People remain full of life, hard to spin that into a negative anyway you put it.

Quote:
It could be the space. In Clear Creek County, there are 184,191 acres of public land, which means approximately 19.75 acres of national forest for each of our 9,322 residents. "

Of the top seven counties, Gilpin has a state park, portions of two national forests, and no supermarkets; Grand County is the western portal to the state's most primo real estate, Rocky Mountain National Park; and Summit has three ski areas:
OR it could be the climate? None of those are proven or disproven, so picking these out still doesn't debunk me. I'd lean more towards it being a combination of them all.

Quote:
So, the REALITY is that you spun the article. The counties mentioned are mountain counties and have nothing to do with living in Denver metro.

Nice try but no cigar!
So, I have to say I didn't spin it I offered it up to be read for a reason. You were mearly reading it with blinders on.

Oh, and by the way, on a national level, Colorado overall ranks 12th overall for life expectancy, with it being at 78.2 years. Where You Live Linked to Life Expectancy | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/health/060912_ap_life_expectancy.html - broken link) That lack of oxygen must be devastating us across the entire state I guess. or maybe it's that climate thing again?!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM

I actually kind of like it when things are **** down! the bookstores are open! I go, get a big steaming latte and cuddle up to a book at Tattered Cover or something! or stay in by the fire, cook up a big batch of soup and watch some good movies.

Quote:
If anything, this thread has reminded of another reason to love Colorado people: they're built from hearty stock, including the transplants. Even when things get tough, we keep going. Bus service was canceled for Cherry Creek School District this morning, but the kids still showed up, and a few of them even walked! Mother Nature tried her darndest, but she just couldn't keep us down.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM

14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Quote:
You get your hopes up when it is 55F and then you got socked in the face with -35F below zero temps. It becomes a form of torture. It would be like finding out you won the lottery and then someone shredding the ticket in front of your face.
So... 55 is like winning The Lottery? And -35 (-18 actual) is like losing $3,000,000.00? That ranks right up there with "high humidity makes the cold weather better". You're on a roll again, LBear.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM

I do, too, FanGal. When we had the blizzards in early 2007, I thought it offered a great opportunity to pause and revel in nature's power. Waking up that first morning to several feet of snow, I was awed. For a few blissful hours, the world was peaceful and silent. It was as if I had awakened in a cocoon. There was nowhere to go and nothing to do but admire Mother Nature's handiwork. My daughter was eight-years-old at the time and reading the Little House series. I pulled out The Long Winter and read it straight through for the first time since childhood, extremely grateful for my warm house and full pantry, not to mention snow plows.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-15-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 PM

that's sweet! I remember as a kid, I would put on all my winter gear and sit outside on my back porch and just "listen" to the snow fall. It was mesmerizing! we can really appreciate the beauty of the snow, sure it's powerful and has the capacity to be brutal, (and dangerous) just like the ocean, wind, rain, sun, etc. But something about the snow draws me to it! and to see beautiful trees covered in snow, they make greeting cards and calendars with those images!!

Quote:
I do, too, FanGal. When we had the blizzards in early 2007, I thought it offered a great opportunity to pause and revel in nature's power. Waking up that first morning to several feet of snow, I was awed. For a few blissful hours, the world was peaceful and silent. It was as if I had awakened in a cocoon. The was nowhere to go and nothing to do but admire Mother Nature's handiwork. My daughter was eight-years-old at the time and reading the Little House series. I pulled out The Long Winter and read it straight through for the first time since childhood, extremely grateful for my warm house and full pantry, not to mention snow plows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or