U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:28 AM

82 posts, read 146,307 times
Default Considering a move to Denver. Please advise!! (long)

Firstly, some background information:

Graduated from Michigan State after five wonderful years with a degree in finance. While in school I had a six month internship with a fortune 500 engineering company in the accounting department. Shortly after graduation I looked for work in Chicago for a brief period, I think mainly to follow my girlfriend who had just gotten a job there. Month or two goes by, I'm still not out there, and we break up. This led to sort of a depressed/reflection period for me where I didn't accomplish much. Findly, I found myself working a temp accounting job for Comcast in Grand Rapids, MI which was a contract position for about three months. From there I countinued to look for a "real job" in the Grand Rapids area, as that is where the majority of my family lives. Got extremely discouraged by lack of prospects, and it should be noted that MI, last time I checked, was ranked second worst in the US for unemployment and economic out-look. So in order to pay the bills and pay down some debt I have been working construction since then.

Now, at 25, after having been out of school for two years, it is ABSOLUTELY paramount that I get my career started. Even if I could get a job there, Grand Rapids seems too conservative and a little smallish for me. Chicago seems to high-strung rat racey. Plus, I swear everyone from MSU moves to Chicago. It's played out.

Which(finally) brings me to my point/question:

Denver has always appealed to me as somewhere I would like to live. I'm physically active. I like to run, hike, bike, ski, camp, you name it. But I also like big city amenities(bars, clubs, sports, shopping, restaurants), and would be curious if there is an area sort of between Wash. Park and LoDo that would be affordable for a 1BR? --- The dry air and sunshine would be such a huge huge change for me. Makes me happy just thinking about it. We see the sun in winter here about twice a month and the summer air is so sticky it's annoying to go outside. Fall and Spring are nice though!!!

SO, most importantly--- How outragous would this be, or could one make it work?:

I have 1K to my name, but might be able to talk the folks into lending me a couple if I convince them of how miserable I am here and that I could make it work........But could I make it work? Just pack my car full of my life and head west? No job, no apartment, no friends already out there. A college degree yes, but by no means a sparkling resume.

Any tips or past experiences would be great. I really want to do it, but the last thing I want to do is get out there for a week and come back with my tail between my legs. How would I go about finding a job, apartment, friends.. FAST?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM

257 posts, read 635,585 times
I am not in the financial industry, so do not know the prospects for this type of job here in Denver. Have you tracked the typical job sites - Monster, Hotjobs, etc... to get a feel for outlook here?

Take it from a mom, you need to worry about getting a roof over your head and dinner on the table first. Friends you can easily find later. Apartments - given your financial condition, I would be more flexible in location if I were you. Wash Park and LoDo are two of the most expensive places in the City. Why put that financial strain on yourself? I would branch out and find a reasonably priced apartment - you can always move later. As for jobs, that too can be more flexible. Instead of waiting for the job of your dreams, you could do temp work or take something with growth potential.

Believe me, I know the frustration of having a great education and not great experience - I am having the same problem after law school. It is so annoying how all employers require 2+ years experience, so how are you supposed to get a job then? It is a cruel irony.

But you are a young guy, with very little responsibility, meaning you have no wife and kids. I would be very angry with myself if I was in your situation and didn't just go for it. Take me, I have a husband and three kids - now that is a challenge.

One more thing, as for the apartment, there is no reason why you cannot get that arranged even before you leave. Take it from someone who has moved alot, you can look at many apartment communities online - you see pictures and floorplans, etc... You can ask the forum for opinions about certain areas. You can call temp agencies before you leave, send over your resume, ALot of legwork can be done pre-departure.

You can do this! Just take a deep breath and get to work.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Thank you for the reply! A lot of good points there. I agree about being more flexible on where to live and work right of the bat. I'm thinking about looking on craigslist for a sublease or something so if/when I find a decent job I can move closer to LoDo, where I think I'd enjoy myself quite a bit.

I guess I just needed someone to tell me that I'd be doing myself a disservice to not pursue this. All my friends who I ask for advice either A., had a job lined up before graduation or went away to grad school, or B., didn't go to college or if they did went right back to our hometown. Those in "group A" are just like "yeah do it", but offer no real advice. They all had jobs to begin with or come from loaded families so they think there'd be no pressure involved. Those in "group B", for whatever reason, tend to be doom and gloom-ers and can give me a laundry list of reasons why it wouldn't work out.

So again, thank you for your reply and advice!

If anyone else was ever in a similar situation and could share their experience that would be great too.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:05 PM

13 posts, read 100,965 times
Hey, I have a post here you might be interested in, as well as the others -

Am I crazy...leaving all my friends behind to move to Denver?

I moved out here with only a couple grand and am still searching for a job. I would at least find prospects or line up interviews before you came to make it easy on yourself. I was supposed to have an interview three weeks ago that keeps getting pushed back so..line up a few before you get here.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr240sxt View Post
Hey, I have a post here you might be interested in, as well as the others -

Am I crazy...leaving all my friends behind to move to Denver?

I moved out here with only a couple grand and am still searching for a job. I would at least find prospects or line up interviews before you came to make it easy on yourself. I was supposed to have an interview three weeks ago that keeps getting pushed back so..line up a few before you get here.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I think I am going to try to find a month-to-month on craigslist too. Probably one with a roommate, because it will be cheaper, and hopefully I luck out and he, or she, is cool.

How long you been there? Are you getting a lot of responses job-wise or not as much as you expected?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM

11 posts, read 56,312 times
Hey there, here's my 2 cents:

Since I work for a staffing agency, my best advice to you is to fill out the online applications to the various temp agencies you're interested in working with, and then call them for appointments as soon as you get to town. (This is what I advise all my Las Vegas Newbies to do!) This just speeds things along. Don't schedule more than 2 agency appointments in a day, as they can take up to 2-3 hours with all the testing we put you through. (On the bright side, you might get a job that day!) Also - get your resume up on careerbuilder & monster, we scour those all the time, looking for the perfect candidate. Be sure to apply to any online job posting that fit your bill and a few that aren't "perfect" - but will pay the bills.

Denver shouldn't be too much different from Vegas, but don't be discouraged if you don't get much response until you're in town. I'm finding that unless you're an experienced professional w/ high-end salary, chances are very few companies are going to pay relocation costs. Finding work will go much smoother once you're settled and ready to go to work.

As for moving w/o a job offer in hand - don't worry, you're young and talented - things will work out

Hope this helps - Best of luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 PM

doggymom, Thank you for your reply.

How would I go about finding a comprehensive list of temp agencies in Denver? Google or a phonebook I presume? Just want to make sure I contact everyone I can so I maximize my chance of finding a job asap.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 100,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post
Thanks for the reply and advice. I think I am going to try to find a month-to-month on craigslist too. Probably one with a roommate, because it will be cheaper, and hopefully I luck out and he, or she, is cool.

How long you been there? Are you getting a lot of responses job-wise or not as much as you expected?
Hey, I have been here exactly a month today. I found a cool roommate on craigslist and when we met I said "I'll give you $450 a month utilities and everything included and we'll go month by month" She accepted and it has worked out great. Put a wanted ad on craigslist and you'll get responses. Expect to meet a few weirdos maybe before you get a good vibe from someone. It's hard to find a job in renewable energy because it's real specific, but depending on what you want to do I see tons of job openings all over. I actually have an interview tomorrow morning with the company I've been stalking from the beginning. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,919 times
so...did you move? I'm considering doing pretty much the exact same thing...its between, Denver, Miami or Chicago....

Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 20,559 times
You can find 1 BR apartments in the West Wash Park area for around 600-650. I own property in the area you're looking in. As for your other questions, only you can answer whether it's feasible. Making a move on 1k is hard, but I've done it, so it's possible.

Denver's economy is stagnant, but a finance degree might help. My professional field has to do with language and linguistics, so I'm not finding much in my field, but you may find something in your field. However, I find that professional jobs (other than energy jons) have almost completely dried up here, and I am surviving on freelance and consultation work. Do not think that you will escape the bad economy by moving west. Please do try to secure a job first.

In summary: It's normally quite easy to make it in Denver. The rent is relatively cheap, depending on whether or not you absolutely must have a loft in LoDo. However, due to the general economy, jobs are not as easy to find as they were before. In general, I don't think this is a good time to move--and jobs are scarce here unless you're in branding/marketing. Of course, I don't scope "finance" jobs, so I could be wrong.

BUT! I do have three degrees, and competition for jobs is fierce!

Good luck! Follow your heart, but listen to your head in the meantime. No one here will be able to tell you whether this will be a good move or not. Moving on 1k will be hard no matter where you move.

Do a job search on Indeed, CareerBuilder, CareerJet, SimplyHired, Monster, and Craigslist to get an idea of how many jobs are available in Denver in your field.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver