Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Denverian: Sorry, I thought I was specific in my flight issue. I fly to central/south america and there are no direct flights, always connecting in Dallas or Atlanta. It's very inconvenient as the layovers can last hours, and often I end up in my destination in the middle of the night. Compared to leaving from some cities in the east coast, I think it's much harder here. I often run into people who flew from areas near WI and they have shorter, less costly flights. Not sure why, those areas seem farther away.

Even the flights to Mexico are becoming bad. There was a time when they were good, but it was only to places like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta which IMHO those areas are just tourist traps. Right now Mexico City has decent flights, but that's about it for a country that is our size (kind of lame I think). The direct asian flight would have been to Bangkok (I think) and with the recent problems I don't know if they will still secure the flight. It came about because DIA lost direct flights to somewhere else (although I can't remember where).

We should ask the OP --- what direct flights can you get to internationally from WI?
I think I heard that Frontier was started flights to Costa Rica, but yeah, nothing to South America. The article I read was fairly recent about an Asian flight, based on some Asian airline buying the new Boeing 787 long haul planes that would be profitable from Denver. I also read that a Mexican airline (Mexicana?) was going to start flying direct from Mexico City to Denver, not that that probably helps you. Lufthansa cut its Denver/Munich flight, but they're going to bring it back as a seasonal (summer) direct flight next year, and continue with they're Denver/Frankfurt daily flight throughout the year. I doubt Milwaukee has many overseas flights (maybe Canada) considering its proximity to O'Hare. Just a guess though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
One other thing, not to start a huge argument because I've never been to Milwaukee, but how on earth could it be just as brown as Denver? They have triple our precipitation whereas we are described as having an arid climate with low humidity. If anything, I'd think a huge difference in climate would be experienced by someone moving from Milwaukee to Denver.
I was just thinking about winter - grass and trees go dormant, no matter the humidity level.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,686,654 times
Re: Frontier. That'd be nice. You jogged some of my memory on the Asia flight. I read it in the news that DIA had lost Lufthansa or that Luft was pulling the nonstop flight (and I swear it was Frankfurt they were/are pulling). The article I read said that they were going to try to get a nonstop but I can't for the life of me remember where. OH! It was Amsterdam. And all of this is great for Europe travelers, but what about us Central/S. American travelers? I thought Mexicana already does nonstops to Mexico City, but last I checked it was cheaper to get to Panama. Or Cancun on American Airlines.

You might be right about Milwaukee and intl. flights. I don't know. I was mainly speaking from the viewpoint of Denver flights.

And you know, one other thought... based on Denver and what many Denverites love about it (skiing, outdoorsy things), maybe intl. flights and ease/cost of them is irrelevant. When I tell my coworkers about the Honduras, they look really terrified and ask me if I was terrified too. Of what I have no idea.

Oh and of interest, I did see an awesome flight deal to Belize I think it was --- can't remember the airline, but it was about $250 a ticket. That's cheaper than Cancun. So yeah, sometimes there are deals to be found. I can tell you my flight to Dominican Republic was torture compared to all of these Canadians who got nice easy flights. I slept on the floor of a closed corridor in the Miami airport at 3am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think I heard that Frontier was started flights to Costa Rica, but yeah, nothing to South America. The article I read was fairly recent about an Asian flight, based on some Asian airline buying the new Boeing 787 long haul planes that would be profitable from Denver. I also read that a Mexican airline (Mexicana?) was going to start flying direct from Mexico City to Denver, not that that probably helps you. Lufthansa cut its Denver/Munich flight, but they're going to bring it back as a seasonal (summer) direct flight next year, and continue with they're Denver/Frankfurt daily flight throughout the year. I doubt Milwaukee has many overseas flights (maybe Canada) considering its proximity to O'Hare. Just a guess though.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM

True. I was probably thinking too much as I often do. stupid brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was just thinking about winter - grass and trees go dormant, no matter the humidity level.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 19,303 times
lets keep the flight chatter out, thanks! I am not sure why you think I am this other person...I am looking to get out of MKE asap, not stay!Family and friends in the Denver area will help a transition for me, and I will definently be in the downtown area to start. How far a drive is it from downtown out to parks/trails on w/avg. traffic?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:48 PM

sorry macrabbit. It started because I pointed out the flight situation in relevance to you asking about Denver being isolated. If you saw JJ's posts you might see why they thought you were him. Parks and trails are usually right outside your front door as we have so many of them.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,099,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
l. . . I am not sure why you think I am this other person...
In that case, jjacobeclark's posts present a strong and clear view of someone who prefers Milwaukee to Denver and why; reading his posts will give you much info. (Click on search in the menu bar, then on advanced search; type jjacobeclark in as user name, select Colorado forums, and show user's posts.) He didn't much like Denver, and his point of reference for the positive was Milwaukee. He frequently compared them one to one, so you might find his posts helpful.

You'll hear plenty of positives about Denver from many of us posters. . .

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
I still think macrabbit, aka jj is lying. His OP today and his one other post on the MKE forum is fairly long, a very similar writing style to good 'ol jj. Then after we suggested we know who he is, in his response he doesn't address any points brought up so far and instead responds with an out-of-character (even out of "macrabbit's" character) 3 liner-- clearly on the defensive-- as if he is going out of his way to fool us. Only I'm not fooled. He adds in this made up detail about family being in Denver-- in his defensive 2nd post-- not in the original post, which you would think would have been there, given how eloquent and informative his first post was, which practically gave away his whole life story. And then to top it off... he says he's interested in parks and nature, okay, but then wants to live in the "downtown area." Something here just ain't adding up right. jj-- don't be shy, you're welcome to continue posting on this forum with your real screen name. Just try to be a little nicer, please. And quit the charade.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 PM

358 posts, read 1,034,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
Family and friends in the Denver area will help a transition for me, and I will definently be in the downtown area to start. How far a drive is it from downtown out to parks/trails on w/avg. traffic?
Shouldn't the family and friends you have in the Denver area be able to help you with this question and the overall transition in general? I mean, maybe they can't, but that would be a bit strange if they couldn't, no? Unless maybe if they just moved there themselves. Or maybe they never go downtown or to parks/trails.

I've considered moving to Denver and if I had family and friends there, they'd be my first and constant point of contact and information. But that's just me.

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for, whatever that is.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 AM

Peixe: Good point. If my family was in Miami, the first thing I'd do would be to make contact and even come out and try to stay w/them, or get them to take me around.

Vegas: I'll just lol if it's true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver