U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,667 times
Default Special education-which school district?

We are looking to move from Phoenix to Denver. Our 9 year old son is in a special ed class for communication disorders. It is a self-contained class, meaning he is only with "typical" students for lunch, recess and specials (P.E., art or music). So far, it has been very good for him.

Does anyone have any experience with special education in Denver? Which school district? I know that when it comes time to move that I will have to go to the school districts to meet with and observe classes. But it is always good to have parent feedback. I have heard good things in general about Cherry Creek and Douglas County schools, but don't know about their special education.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 04:36 PM

13,309 posts, read 28,646,368 times
Bromwell Elementary (central Denver) had a good program for special needs kids, but I am not sure if it is the right school for your son.
You can look Bromwell up at Greatschools.net, and maybe call the school and talk to them about what they have to offer.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 PM

67,289 posts, read 54,864,175 times
I have heard that Cherry Creek and Boulder Valley have good spec ed departments; I cannot, however, verify that.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 22,595 times
Default Special ed

I know for sure that sand creek elementary(douglas county) has a good programme.My neighbor sends her son there.And Homestead elem has one too(cheery creek school dis).All schools here are great about answering questions and meeting the princpal of the school to ask questions.My son has a medical condition and cannot play outdoors or pe.His school is fantastic about it.The new principal and the teachers,the nurses and kids are great with him.It all helps since the school has bully proofing programme.He goes to a cherry creek school.If you need any more info do Pm me.Hth you,good luck

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,101 times
I am also a mom in Phoenix with a special needs son. He has Autism and ADHD. We too are looking at a move to the Denver area but are very nervous about getting him in a good school as well. Here in Arizona, we have recieved great services from the state, I am wondering how the state of Colorado is with providing state services such as speech therapy, and occupational therapy. Please let me know if you moved and let me know what your experience has been in Colorado.

If anyone else knows how the state of Colorado is with covering services this would be of great help. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM

67,289 posts, read 54,864,175 times
I would do a search on this fourm. There has been a lot of discussion on this, and someone posted some links to a group of parent advocates that would probably be more knowledgeable than any of us (unless there are some special ed teachers/parents here).

Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have heard that Cherry Creek and Boulder Valley have good spec ed departments; I cannot, however, verify that.
I can personally verify that both of those districts are very good for special needs kids. Especially ones needing more focused attention then they can get in a normal classroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyrn View Post
I am also a mom in Phoenix with a special needs son. He has Autism and ADHD. We too are looking at a move to the Denver area but are very nervous about getting him in a good school as well. Here in Arizona, we have recieved great services from the state, I am wondering how the state of Colorado is with providing state services such as speech therapy, and occupational therapy. Please let me know if you moved and let me know what your experience has been in Colorado.

If anyone else knows how the state of Colorado is with covering services this would be of great help. Thanks.
I have a severely autistic daughter, and my wife has a disabled nephew. So we have done plenty of research into the school and therapies.

AS stated earlier in my answer if you are moving to the Denver Metro area then stay within Cherry Creek and Boulder school districts, they are by far the best I have heard about in the area. If you are talking other areas in Colorado, then Fort Collins also has a great program, that has kept up in this town.

AS for state funding, it is hit and miss depending on the county, though Colorado is one of the worst for funding special needs programs. There are waiting lists for most things, although there is a bill on the ballot this year that should improve things tremendously for the kids. I personally would probably look for other areas to move into before I moved my kid to Colorado though if i were you.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,851 times
Default Fletcher Miller

If interested in a program soley focused on special needs students I would look at Jefferson County, specifically Fletcher Miller School. Kids are staffed in through their IEP's and the school is fabulous for kids with severe support needs. They have 2 full time nurses, 3 slps, 3 ots and 3 pts. I'm not sure how kids are placed into the program, but it is a really unique enviroment. Kids get art, music pe, library, and activities for daily living, usually go on weekly or bi-monthly fieldtrips (including kids who are very difficult to transport) and school dances for secondary students.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,311 times
What about the High School In Jefferson County. My son has been in smaller classes since the 3rd grade. He does take a couple of inclusion classes now here in New Jersey, but those are difficult. He is ADHD and CAPD. We will be moving to the Denver area. My husband will be working in Golden. What High Schools in Jefferson would be the best for us?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 10,294 times
This is an old post, but for anyone else who is looking, I do NOT recommend CO for special needs students - it is sadly lacking. My son has autism and is not getting any services at all. We have to pay out of pocket for everything. If you're already here, Praying Hands Ranch, in Elizabeth is an excellent equine program and South Suburban Recreation has some fun activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver