Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,816,214 times

Advertisements

I never understood Trader Joe's. Went to one in Vegas a few times because of what I read on here, but never went back. It's like the west coasters who complain about no In'N'Out. That place sucked and always took like 30 minutes to get your food.......In'N'Wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 AM
tew

209 posts, read 630,891 times
I lived 2 miles from a Trader Joes in Irvine and never went into it. I did and can live with out it.

So daad did you know we dont have a In-n-out also? Is that a deal breaker too? Or a Tommy's for that matter.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,897 times
I'd like to make a point about Trader Joe's and California.

I lived in Phoenix prior to L.A. and both have Trader Joe's. In Phoenix, it was just nice to have someplace other than a normal grocery store to go to for a while. Eventually some Whole Foods and other such places started showing up more and it would balance out...but Trader Joe's, though pricier than a normal grocery store, was the cheapest of the nicer grocery stores.

In Los Angeles, at least, it usually is cheaper than the grocery stores. I'm not saying you can't get a decent deal at Ralphs or Vons (your average, suburban supermarkets) from time to time, but it seems the Trader Joe's in California had about the same prices on goods as the ones in Arizona (or pretty close), making shopping for groceries cheaper at Trader Joe's.

I don't know personally what the situation is as far as grocery prices in Colorado, but I think Californians fear they won't get good groceries at what they see as a "reasonable price" without a Trader Joe's...and like any creature comfort, that makes people sad.

Sounds to me like CO has plenty of more local alternatives (which appeals to me anyway, because I'd rather support local, or at least regional businesses when possible) that fill the niche...I, too, would miss TJ's for a little while, but probably not for long so long as I found something that offered me interesting products at a good price.

As for people from elsewhere who love Trader Joe's...well...beats me =D Must be a "culture" thing.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I'd like to make a point about Trader Joe's and California.

I lived in Phoenix prior to L.A. and both have Trader Joe's. In Phoenix, it was just nice to have someplace other than a normal grocery store to go to for a while. Eventually some Whole Foods and other such places started showing up more and it would balance out...but Trader Joe's, though pricier than a normal grocery store, was the cheapest of the nicer grocery stores.

In Los Angeles, at least, it usually is cheaper than the grocery stores. I'm not saying you can't get a decent deal at Ralphs or Vons (your average, suburban supermarkets) from time to time, but it seems the Trader Joe's in California had about the same prices on goods as the ones in Arizona (or pretty close), making shopping for groceries cheaper at Trader Joe's.

I don't know personally what the situation is as far as grocery prices in Colorado, but I think Californians fear they won't get good groceries at what they see as a "reasonable price" without a Trader Joe's...and like any creature comfort, that makes people sad.

Sounds to me like CO has plenty of more local alternatives (which appeals to me anyway, because I'd rather support local, or at least regional businesses when possible) that fill the niche...I, too, would miss TJ's for a little while, but probably not for long so long as I found something that offered me interesting products at a good price.

As for people from elsewhere who love Trader Joe's...well...beats me =D Must be a "culture" thing.
Their nuts are very cheap, salsa was great and cheap, wine was cheaper, and they had good, healthy frozon meals for two in a bag that were cheap. I found many items there that were cheap, healthy, and I couldn't get them anywhere else. I still miss TJs.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,009,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I like Sunflower Market here in Denver. It's not the same thing but it works well enough for me.
We like Sunflower, too. They have a great bulk foods section.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 AM

3,970 posts, read 7,665,691 times
what about Wild Oats Market, or Whole Foods?? aren't they all pretty similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daad View Post
I might need to re-consider my move to Denver after finding out that there isn't a single Trader Joe's in Colorado...
I can't believe it

Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,009,882 times
Wild Oats no longer exists as a separate company. Whole Foods bought them out recently.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 AM

3,970 posts, read 7,665,691 times
oh, didn't know W.O was bought out. I worked in SF for a few months and only bought specialty items at Trader Joe's. They had this wonderful, cold, cooked shrimp that was delicious! I was addicted to it, then one day I went there to buy some and they dicontinued carrying it! , oh well.
I can find great pre-cooked meals at WF, they're great also. Maybe this guy can just go to WF instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Wild Oats no longer exists as a separate company. Whole Foods bought them out recently.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,045,252 times
Not to belabor the point, but TJ's isn't a bulk, box chain at all. It's more like a corner store. All dairy was from local farms and about 1/2 the price as the national grocers. Fresh produce was fresher, largely organic and cheaper. They have no national brands, but have their own label for many items such as pasta sauce, cereal, yogurt, soups, snack items, frozen foods (tamales, curry, thai AND GREAT FISH), dog food, household items (earth-iendly detergents, toothpaste, vitamins) and of course wine, beer and nuts. While Whole Foods is a great place, it's much more fancy, and much higher price than TJ's. TJ's is NOT snobby like Whole Foods, it's much simpler. They're a great employer as well, always promoting from within and paying much higher - non-union wages to it's team.

I'll miss it, but I can find alternatives just fine. I love to shop local farmers markets to support local farming. I can't wait to check it out there! Meet the Metro Denver Farmers Market Farmers and Vendors. After a quick browse of the vendors, I noticed that the Wild Alaskan Seafood Company participates in the market F-Sun.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,157,770 times
I like Vitamin Cottage. They are much cheaper then Whole Foods and the items that they carry are high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver