U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,427,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Not to belabor the point, but TJ's isn't a bulk, box chain at all. It's more like a corner store. All dairy was from local farms and about 1/2 the price as the national grocers. Fresh produce was fresher, largely organic and cheaper. They have no national brands, but have their own label for many items such as pasta sauce, cereal, yogurt, soups, snack items, frozen foods (tamales, curry, thai AND GREAT FISH), dog food, household items (earth-iendly detergents, toothpaste, vitamins) and of course wine, beer and nuts. While Whole Foods is a great place, it's much more fancy, and much higher price than TJ's. TJ's is NOT snobby like Whole Foods, it's much simpler. They're a great employer as well, always promoting from within and paying much higher - non-union wages to it's team.

I'll miss it, but I can find alternatives just fine. I love to shop local farmers markets to support local farming. I can't wait to check it out there! Meet the Metro Denver Farmers Market Farmers and Vendors. After a quick browse of the vendors, I noticed that the Wild Alaskan Seafood Company participates in the market F-Sun.
In 2005 I discovered TJ while my husband and I did travel nursing. Well he did, and I just went along for the travel! Anywho, we really loved the store and were sad when we moved back to CO and didn't have one. Of course, we survived. Now we've relocated to Oregon and have a TJ again. While I really like it, I have found that I have to watch what I buy from them. I have bought several things past their expiration date that were still stocked on the shelves. This is especially true for their produce. While I do still shop at TJ, I don't buy everything there. It is cheaper for the most part, but I end up throwing away about half the produce I buy because it goes bad very quickly. I'm also finding that they don't always practice sustainability even though they are promoted as a "local," organic grocer. They often carry fish that comes from endagered fisheries. I've heard they are phasing that out though.

So all in all, TJ is a good grocer with decent prices, but you will be able to find that in Denver as well. The suggested stores are one's I would recommend as well. Of course, you won't find wines at those stores, but there are plenty of liquor stores in Denver that have some great deals on wine as well. You won't find $3 Chuck, but it's really not that great of a wine anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,744,383 times
I haven't found anything past their prime there yet, which I have found at Albertsons so many times (Grocery Warehouse off Powers in Colorado Springs is the worst). I just love all the cool stuff you can get that's high quality and different then you would find anywhere else, but I love stinky cheese and smoked fish.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,744,867 times
I'd like to have a Trader Joe's around. In fact, I think they'd be a great candidate to place a grocery store downtown -- their small format would mean that they'd fit in one of the existing retail spots down there.

We've discussed at length why they're not in Colorado already. One theory is that it's the "blue laws" here, though they have opened up in other places (Pennsylvania, for example), with even stricter laws. Another theory is that distribution networks don't include our area, but OTOH Santa Fe, NM is only 5 1/2 hours away from Denver and certainly no less isolated than we are. It's probably a combination of the above. I think eventually that they will expand to the front range, but it's not yet seem to be on top of their list.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM

809 posts, read 2,596,210 times
I LOVE Trader Joes out here in the far west burbs of Chicago.... and I'm SO sad they don't have any out in Denver (where i'm moving in about two months!) I LOVE a LOT of their products. My mom shops there frequently and some of their specialty foods are SO good and you can only find them there. I'm also sad to leave behind ALDI!!!!!!

I LOVE ALDI! Trader Joes in Illinois is SO nice. I really am totally sad to leave it behind.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM

26 posts, read 154,106 times
Trader Joe's fine. Great, even. But it's far from essential to my life. I think you can get equivalent products at most natural food stores. Since I love to cook, I find most of their convenience foods to be irrelevant, but I know many have cult followings. I like Fresh & Easy, and Colorado doesn't have any of those stores either. But something like that would never affect my decision to move. I can't understand why it would affect anyone's, unless you worked there and wanted to continue.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

809 posts, read 2,596,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72degreeboredom View Post
Trader Joe's fine. Great, even. But it's far from essential to my life. I think you can get equivalent products at most natural food stores. Since I love to cook, I find most of their convenience foods to be irrelevant, but I know many have cult followings. I like Fresh & Easy, and Colorado doesn't have any of those stores either. But something like that would never affect my decision to move. I can't understand why it would affect anyone's, unless you worked there and wanted to continue.

no you can't get most equivalent products because most trader joes are THEIR brand and VERY unique

Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,744,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
no you can't get most equivalent products because most trader joes are THEIR brand and VERY unique
Never seen anything like their brand stuff anywhere, my wife is addicted to their Chai...and I am to their frozen fish, canned stuff and cheese.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM

456 posts, read 1,438,241 times
I miss TJ's for sure, but I do like Sunflower Market as a substitute..not as great, but definitely way better than Whole Paycheck.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,700,674 times
Not to mention Kosher foods for those who require it.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM

26 posts, read 154,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Never seen anything like their brand stuff anywhere, my wife is addicted to their Chai...and I am to their frozen fish, canned stuff and cheese.
Yes, they do have some unique products. But since I'm very weary of processed foods and prefer to cook, I find them irrelevant. From my house in Oceanside I have access to Trader Joe's, as well as three natural food chains (Henry's, Boney's, and Frazier Farms) all within 20 minutes. I really can't think of anything that I would buy at Trader Joe's that I can't get something very similar (not necessarily the same) at these other non-supermarkets. You can get quality organic chicken stock, gourmet cheeses, and sparkling pomegranate juice at a lot places, even (gasp) Costco.

But I get it. Trader Joe's has super fans. I'm a Mac fangirl, so I know something about zealotry. But, I can't see myself saying I wouldn't move someplace because they didn't have an Apple store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or