Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times

Advertisements

Not to rain on your parade Wanttomovemiami , I was talking with a friend's hair stylist
who just moved here from South Beach, after moving there from LA....He basically went on a tirade as to how crime ridden and third world--he thought it had become...
I have been hearing very similar remarks from a variety of people---I have not been to
South Florida myself in over ten years--can't personally give you my two cents...One
of Miami's zip codes made the #1 spot as the most expensive---I personally love the Keys...hard to believe they are in the continental US...I vote wantsitall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Scott: Eh, it's not the first time I've heard that and I'm sure not the last. It certainly is crime ridden, funny how your friend thought that coming from LA. Lotsa crime there too. I'd say both tower over Denver immensely when it comes to crime. Third world? haha, no it's not. I've been to third worlds, and Miami is not one. I can totally see one of their zip codes as most expensive.

Trust me, I've weighed these thoughts and facts along with many other factors. I don't take moving across the country lightly. I am also not going to live my entire life based on fears of taking risks. So, no you haven't rained on my parade. It's not like I consider Miami a paradise, but more a change of scenery for me. But thanks!

p.s. - I remember when I told my friends I was going to Haiti, they looked at me like omg are you freaking crazy?? They'd say, oh be careful, you shouldn't go, it's dangerous!! But Haiti has some of the nicest, sweetest, kindest, selfless people I've ever met. It's kind of a big country. That'd be like saying all of Colorado is cowboys.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Zion and Denver, you sillies. I'm no traitor, I won't forget where I came from no way. Did you guys know I grew up in the country as a kid? I remember running from geese as the bus wouldn't go down our private road. My mom would leave the screen door shut but the main door open so I could hurl myself in before the geese could have at me. Man they were mean. I was probably 3 ft. high too.

OK, so yeah, it is weird that some people take 1) a personal offense to complaints about Denver and 2) seem to not be able to let their anger go because of whatever city they live in.

People in Denver are very laid back IMHO, and not so stressed as you see in other cities. As far as culture, it's a hodgepodge culture, but that can be very good.

And Denver, "why is it that you WantToGetHitByAHurricane?". Because I WantToExperienceThePlethoraOfDifferentThingsInMiam iOtherThanJustHurricanes.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:52 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsToGetHitByAHurricane View Post
And Denver, "why is it that you WantToGetHitByAHurricane?". Because I WantToExperienceThePlethoraOfDifferentThingsInMiam iOtherThanJustHurricanes.
now that name is just too long, it probably isn't allowed. It's actually probably too long to fit in the C-D database ;-) So you might want to just shorten it back to WantsToExperienceAHurricane

Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM

ok, now you get two punches to the arm during happy hour, zion. Besides, a hurricane is something I could just put under my belt. Like blizzards and earthquakes.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
It is a good example of the type of people living here. I mean, look at the Miami forum, not so friendly. Not like this anyway. It certainly is a reflection of the people in Denver.
The Colorado forums are the most respectful on CD, IMO. I visit a lot of them.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I agree "zion", not much of an LA feel at all. I would say it is more similar to Minneapolis or Seattle's culture rather than California's.
I have been to all of those places, and IMO, Denver is closer to Minneapolis in that when the weather's nice, people love to be outside, run, jog, walk their dogs, etc.
It isn't as trendy as Seattle IMO, but close in the openess and friendliness.
My comparison is based on experience - having spent 14 years living in the L.A. metro area. I'm not talking about the people on the cutting edge of latest trends and movie stars. I'm just talking about your average people going about their lives. I don't see any difference in people in Denver or L.A.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
I see what you mean. As far as trendy, I didn't mean cutting edge either, it's just that after working in Seattle a few years ago, the shops and restaurants seemed trendier to me. maybe because it was new to me, I hadn't been there before.
I knew you didn't mean movie stars or anything like that. IMO Denver feels more compact to me than LA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My comparison is based on experience - having spent 14 years living in the L.A. metro area. I'm not talking about the people on the cutting edge of latest trends and movie stars. I'm just talking about your average people going about their lives. I don't see any difference in people in Denver or L.A.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Denver metro thirty years ago was an abundance of horse properties on the outskirts,
Stock Show was a huge deal...Places like the old Celebrity Sports Center on Colorado
Blvd, Cinderella City, Top Of The Rockies Restaurant were all the rage....Cow town....

Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
The Stock Show is still pretty darn cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver