Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 20,741 times

Advertisements

Coming to Denver next week for a visit and need a hotel. I'm exploring Denver as a possible place to live and need a room. Only want to spend about $50-$70 ave. per night any recommendations of where I should stay? Would prefer closer to $50.

I'm looking to explore the downtown area, Washington Park, Cherry Creek, the Highlands area and LODO. Since these are the areas I will most likely end up living and I'm assuming I will be working downtown.

Any places you can recommend that are clean and in a good central location for me to get around? I will not have a car there, but rather want to try the public transportation and see neighborhoods on foot.

Thanks for any suggestions. Once I know the place I will look up best deals on line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Hotels in the Denver Tech Center are usually pretty reasonable (in your range), however, the DTC isn't right in the epicenter of the neighborhoods you are hoping to explore, but not to fear, DTC is close to the light rail.

Do a Expedia search.

BTW, you'll need to be a little less frugal to live in your aforementioned neighborhoods.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
I can think of two clusters of hotels near downtown that would match your price range, but both are going to be less than glamorous.

The first is on east Colfax near Capitol Hill. Check on one of the travel sites but you can find a basic room there. The problem is that on Colfax the places tend to be either grimy and cheap or outrageously expensive; the ones in your price range tend to fit in the former category. Still, if you are looking for something really basic, that's you're ticket. Colfax, of course, has some hotels that are of shady character and should be avoided, but the ones you'll find on the Internet booking sites are usually of some minimum standard.

The second would be right at I-25 and Speer, technically in the "highlands" neighborhood. There's several hotels there that also fit in the grimy but cheap category. This is a little bit further walk to much of downtown but would allow you to explore Highlands area, and there are a lot of buses that run that direction.

There are also several hostels in downtown Denver that would likely be even cheaper, if you can put up with hostel living. Look that up as well.

If you are looking for a nice, pleasant room in your price range, then I'm afraid that you're going to have to look elsewhere, in suburban locations. The DTC, as DenverAztec mentioned, has just about every chain hotel under the sun, some of which you could probably walk to light rail and take you to downtown easily.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
Have you ever used hotwire.com? It is my favorite tool for scoring cheap hotel rooms - the only problem is they won't tell what hotel you are booking, until you've paid for it. They will tell you how many stars the hotel room has and what amenities are available. Right now, I've found a room in a four-star hotel in Downtown Denver for only $69 - Hotwire.com: Discount airfare, hotel reservations, car rentals, vacation packages and cruises. I'm pretty sure it is the Hyatt. How do I know? Well...there is a forum to help you figure these things out before buying - 4* Denver (Greater Downtown) Hyatt Regency Convention Center - Priceline and Hotwire Forum. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
BTW, I got the $69 rate by searching 12/18-12/22. I'm not search what days you'll stay - price varies depending on the dates you select.

The Hyatt is great b/c it is centrally located and right on the light rail and all bus lines.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 20,741 times
Thanks everyone the Hyatt regency is it then. Not into Grimy or bad location. Could spend more, but since this is not a true "Getaway Vacation" and just an "explore Denver" trip for careers, neighborhoods and housing I just needed a relatively cheap place to stay.

Also, I know that the area's I mentioned that I'm possibly looking to live are pricey, but once I retain employment again (if I do) for my specialty in my career I will be able to afford to live in those neighborhoods. I'm just being frugal right now, since I am a consultant and have taken the last couple of months off and probably won't be working again until Feb. so trying to stay on a budget.

Thanks for all your help and the Hyatt it is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: