U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,432,127 times

Advertisements

We had our carpet installed by Lowe's and they did a great job of it. Check Tom martino's website Referral List Keep Business honest. We can help for a reputable plumber if you want someone other than lowes to install it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,720,267 times
Thanks for your story on Lowes.

Unfortunately, we had a bad scenario w/Tom Martino's site that eventually led us to learn how to repair our own toilet. We just happened to crack this old one and now need a new one.

Brother's Plumbing is on Tom's site. We called them because one of our toilets wouldn't stop running. First they charge $45 (I think) just to come out. Then this guy spends 2 min. looking at it (probably cuz it was sooo simple) and says, oh you need a total rebuild, it'll cost you $300 per toilet!!!!!!!

I thought omg what a rip. We each called our parents who totally guffawed --- my mom said, omg you can buy a toilet for $100! My DH's dad said, um, a brand new toilet and all it's parts aren't remotely worth that price.

So we sent the guy on his way. We went to Lowes, bought a $20 book, and $12 worth of parts and fixed my toilet.

I think Brother's is a total rip off company. Maybe I should write Tom and tell him what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
We had our carpet installed by Lowe's and they did a great job of it. Check Tom martino's website Referral List – Keep Business honest. We can help for a reputable plumber if you want someone other than lowes to install it.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
I know this question is a few years old, but I thought I'd let you know my experience. I'm finding out it is best to have Lowe's or Home Depot (or wherever you purchase the item from) install it. The reason is because I bought a toilet from Lowes, and hired a handyman to install it. I had to call him back three times because the toilet kept leaking. He just kept adding another wax ring under the toilet. After the third time, he finally called a plumber friend of his to come and look at it, and the plumber determined there was actually a pinhole in the toilet bowl from the manufacturing plant! You could actually see underneath the toilet where they tried to patch it with a gob of something, which obviously didn't work! He told me that home improvement stores can sell things much cheaper than "specialty" stores because they (the home improvement stores) get the rejects that no specialty store would accept (these rejects are called "blems", i.e., blemished). So, the toilet I bought from Lowes had a leak, and the manufacturer probably knew it, but shipped it to Lowes anyway.

So I'm out the money I paid the handyman. The plumber said to call him back when I get another toilet, and he'll install it... of course, for a fee. Had I just paid to have Lowes install it, it would have been guaranteed to be replaced by them, at no extra cost when they came back out to install the new one. So I learned my lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or