Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,467,384 times

Advertisements

So I have a bit of a fetish when it comes to cars. (Bicycles, Motorcycles and Airplanes too)

Every Sunday I wash the cars (now just the car...environment and all .. bleh no need to hippie up this thread)

I ran a hot water line to the garage when we had the place built and have what I suspect is the only heated and insulated stand alone garage for miles (pointless if anyone reading this ever decides to do so). I realized it was cold this afternoon, but habit is habit. NPR on the radio, towels at the ready and soap bucket full of suds I washed the car regardless.

So now it sits, encased in ice.

It is so cold that my stupid self can't get into my own car. Locks and doors are frozen shut.

My cheap self won't turn on the heater in the garage to melt the ice.

Anyhow -- given that it is cold as a witches tit out there --- give me your it is so cold that tale ....

Last edited by steveindenver; 12-14-2008 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 AM
tew

209 posts, read 631,107 times
Well steve, good story.

Mine is just that I worked tonight til 11:30 pm and its 2 out. So I had to scrape the ice off the windows and mirrors. By the time I got home in my 10 min drive the mirrors started to ice up again. When I bought my car in Santa Monica 5 years ago I didnt think I was going to need the cold weather package. Ha ha funny how things change in life.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,487 times
Good one Steve!!
It's sooooo cold, I have to carry my 1 pound dog to the covered carport (it is dirt)....he won't potty in the snow covered grass (even though I shoveled a spot for him!!) Guess who runs this household???

Steve, I have a heated stand alone garage with a bathroom.....you're not alone....My shipping area is out there so, I crank the furnace all the time!!
I don't wash my cars though, the car wash does!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

402 posts, read 1,261,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Every Sunday I wash the cars (now just the car...environment and all .. bleh no need to hippie up this thread)

It is so cold that my stupid self can't get into my own car. Locks and doors are frozen shut.
You may have wasted water, gas/electric to heat that water, but at least you're not wasting more to heat the garage.... AND you're not driving the car, so you're actually HELPING to save the environment right?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM

687 posts, read 2,940,017 times
It was so cold this morning in southeast Arizona that as I drove to work I had to turn on the defroster and seriously thought about the heater too.

Hey, 23 years in Denver, I paid my dues and have the right to harass y'all .

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM

402 posts, read 1,261,958 times
I didn't leave the house yesterday at all, figured it was a good day to get some general maintenance and cleaning done. Which means I never started the Jeep. This morning when I went to start it, I wasn't sure if it was going to have the CCA to do the job. I had to make sure everything was off, lights, heater/fan, radio, etc... even then it was as if the car had sat unstarted for a couple months. I thought I was going to have to grab the neighbor to give me a jump off his F350 that was warming up across the street. I even replaced the battery last year, mid-winter, with a larger than stock CCA one... I'd bet I'd be working from home today if I hadn't swapped it out last year.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

84 posts, read 198,989 times
Its so cold outside that I'm too frozen to complain. My wife loves it.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM

17,888 posts, read 27,284,692 times
It's so cold that... I wish I could talk a certain group of real estate salesmen from Arizona to try and stick their tongue to a flag pole.

Steve, I read your story yesterday about the carwash in the garage and I wouldn't doubt that weird stuff happens when you wash your car in sub-zero temps. But my gargage is not heated and it never gets below freezing in there. But that thin layer of water probably would. You would have been better off washing your car Saturday before the storm, but we can't always predict cold snaps like this one.

It was weird driving to work this morning. We got more snow where I live then the mountain foothills where I work at. It was also so cold that my windshield stayed clean all the way to work. Even the dirt was frozen!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,572,205 times
My nostrils froze this morning.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM

55 posts, read 187,379 times
Snowing and 35 degrees in Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver