U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,720,577 times
Reputation: 1778

Advertisements

I thought there was a thread with almost that exact topic, but I didn't see it. Mods feel free to move me if I've just gone search blind ^_^

Looking for positives here, specifically from people who currently live or have lived in Denver and the surrounding areas. What are you favorite things about it? Arts scene? Downtown events? Quiet suburbs? Parks? Proximity to mountains? Types of jobs or opportunities for recreation? The people or schools? The food? Cost of living? Is it having access to chain stores and big boxes, or smaller, more local stores...or maybe a bit of both? From your point of view, is the convenience of well laid out roads, or good public transit? Are you happier in Highlands or Highlands Ranch? Stapleton or CPV? Do you prefer living in the north or west suburbs, or is Aurora and the plains more your vibe? Golden, Westminster or Englewood? Sense of community or the ability to be left alone? The politics or lack thereof?

Whatever it may be, I'd be interested to know what makes Denver a satisfying place for YOU to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,286,099 times
Reputation: 144
COST OF LIVING. I didn't appreciate it until I left and really understood how cheap Denver really is. I long for the same prices on my grocery store shelves and when I pay my rent every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,893 posts, read 3,523,916 times
Reputation: 2335
After spending the majority of my life on the East Coast, here are a few things that I like about the Denver area (my wife and I live in Castle Rock).

open spaces
dog-friendly
proximity to mountains & all the activities they afford
traffic
weather
cost of living
quality of life in general (we've both been offered decent promotions to move back East, not gonna do it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
1,991 posts, read 3,488,900 times
Reputation: 895
One unique and unexpected thing I found when I visited Denver, being from the south, is driving through a suburb and getting to an open space and seeing prarie dog heads popping up and down throughout the space.

Also it might not be that unique, but I got a kick out of walking downtown one day and seeing some people in shorts and tshirts, other people with light jackets on, still other people with coats on, etc. I mean you hear the weather changes and I did experience that when I visited, but to actually see people dressed so differently (based on their individual tolerances for heat or cold I guess) in one place at one time was kind of interesting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Reputation: 33082
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I thought there was a thread with almost that exact topic, but I didn't see it. Mods feel free to move me if I've just gone search blind ^_^

Looking for positives here, specifically from people who currently live or have lived in Denver and the surrounding areas. What are you favorite things about it? Arts scene? Downtown events? Quiet suburbs? Parks? Proximity to mountains? Types of jobs or opportunities for recreation? The people or schools? The food? Cost of living? Is it having access to chain stores and big boxes, or smaller, more local stores...or maybe a bit of both? From your point of view, is the convenience of well laid out roads, or good public transit? Are you happier in Highlands or Highlands Ranch? Stapleton or CPV? Do you prefer living in the north or west suburbs, or is Aurora and the plains more your vibe? Golden, Westminster or Englewood? Sense of community or the ability to be left alone? The politics or lack thereof?

Whatever it may be, I'd be interested to know what makes Denver a satisfying place for YOU to live?
When we moved here from Champaign, IL, the first thing I noticed was that you could almost always find what you were looking for in the stores. In Champaign, so many things had to be special-ordered (spark plugs for my Ford Fiesta, for example). It was like Christmas!

I'm happy in Louisville. I like living here better than Denver, where we lived before we bought our first house. Lsvl has a great sense of community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,392 times
Reputation: 10
Go to Denver News, Events, Restaurants, Music for a good handle on Denver's idiosyncracies. I lived there 17 years and still miss it...it's a great place to be.

It's a VERY outdoorsy state; when you're asked "what do you do?" the questioner often wants to know what sport(s) you engage in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Mile high city
795 posts, read 2,187,577 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
I'm from AZ, moved here Jan of 08
Here are a few things I've observed as being unique to denver

1)The dirtiest cars you've ever seen in your life

2)Lack of full service car washes (I've seen maybe 5 in the whole denver metro area)

3)All the parks around the city, good, large parks

4)Good Times fast food

5)People thinking that restaurants like BJ's, The Keg and Chipotle are unique to the area

6)Suburus

7)Me, an Arizona native who's never been in a snow storm since jan of 08 when we moved here, driving faster than 50% of the cars on the road when there's snow coming down. I'm a very cautious driver too. (draw your own conclusions)

8)Smokers (never seen so many smokers, and for a health concious state, I'm surprised)

9) Deer feet sticking out the back of a truck on 1-70

10) About 50 different license plates to choose from

Chipotle originated in Denver so maybe people aren't aware it has expanded to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Reputation: 33082
As far as #7, maybe they know something you don't know. Speed is a major cause of accidents, especially in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,121,330 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
....(snipped)

Also it might not be that unique, but I got a kick out of walking downtown one day and seeing some people in shorts and tshirts, other people with light jackets on, still other people with coats on, etc. I mean you hear the weather changes and I did experience that when I visited, but to actually see people dressed so differently (based on their individual tolerances for heat or cold I guess) in one place at one time was kind of interesting to me.
That happens here (San Antonio, TX), in "winter". It is never really that cold here but there are some, I guess because it's so hot most of the year, that when the temp drops below 65 they break out the heavy parkas... then there's the rest who are still in shorts and T-shirts (like me). It's kind of funny to see in action.

I can only comment as someone who visited Denver, but I really thought that Denver drivers seemed more courteous. Here there is always some jerk tailgating you, or feeling he or she has the right to do 90 in a 40 and you are just an azz for doing the speed limit. Denver drivers seemed less psychotic (to me, in my short time there).

I am surprised someone said they noticed a lot of smokers. I am a smoker and noticed the opposite! I felt freakish, like being a smoker in Austin.

No dogs running loose... or very few. Maybe we didn't hit the right areas of town (we were all over though)... but one thing that was a pleasant surprise for us is the apparent lack of a huge stray problem. It is horrible here, dogs are allowed to run loose all over and there are huge stray problems. Of course I could be totally mistaken...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,286,099 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Chipotle originated in Denver so maybe people aren't aware it has expanded to other cities.
Chipotle always tastes better in Denver. Case closed. lol.
It may be all over the country now but it is a Denver institution, one that I personally am very proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top