Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Another thing to remember, most military (and probably civilian) airfields, and railroad tracks (and maybe many freeways) were there before homes were built. The houses were built around these properties.

About the loud Harleys. I am pretty sure that Harley doesn't sell their bikes that loud. I am pretty sure the bikes sold from the dealer meet noise ordinances. I am reasonably sure it is after market and chop shop type mufflers as the reason for the loud Harleys. And yes, their noise bugs me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Centennial has a contract to service some military refuel stops. This is not uncommon and Centennial has a few providers that sell Jet A (though I doubt the purple pipe JP-5 the navy would prefer).

The fun part for the pilots is having to break out their govt credit cards to cover the fuel cost. Seriously.

Let's see Jet A is about 8 pounds to the gallon. Assuming an older D model F/A-18 with about 11,000 pounds internal and another 6,000 pound external possible. With reserves let's round down to 1800 gallons of fuel purchased at ~4.50 a gallon. That's one heck of a fuel bill.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I don't know... my little bro works for Harley. I'll find out the real deal. They've always been loud where I come from and a sure sign it's a Harley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Another thing to remember, most military (and probably civilian) airfields, and railroad tracks (and maybe many freeways) were there before homes were built. The houses were built around these properties.

About the loud Harleys. I am pretty sure that Harley doesn't sell their bikes that loud. I am pretty sure the bikes sold from the dealer meet noise ordinances. I am reasonably sure it is after market and chop shop type mufflers as the reason for the loud Harleys. And yes, their noise bugs me too.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 AM

60 posts, read 171,394 times
I lived in Savannah near Hunter Army Airfield. It was pretty common to see (and hear) military jets flying around. More so I saw the giant transport planes, Chinook Helicopters, Blackhawks, and Apaches. It is pretty cool. One night a few years ago I heard some unusual noise in the sky around my house so I went outside. I could see blinking lights of helis flying around- they were doing some sort of exercise. Suddenly two Chinooks appeared over the house across the street from mine and flew right over me, very low. They landed in a school behind my property. The trees in my yard were blowing all over the place- I think I wet my pants with delight.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM

As for loud bikes, I'd imagine as someone said they probably have to be made in accordance with a noise standard. Loud pipes are not just on Harleys, but on any bike that wants to put after market pipes on. I have a Shadow Spirit with After Market pipes that sound really good- loud, but not ear splittingly loud. I think when you buy a motorcycle, it's EXPECTED that you will modify it front to back.

Sure, some of the noise is just to show off, but a lot of people think it makes other drivers more aware of the motorcycle: "Loud Pipes Save Lifes".

Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times
haha, I was making a joke, I didn't expect it to become a topic of discussion on this thread

As for the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" comment. I ride motorcycles, most of the year around here. I have a couple of them, and the volume is obviously different on them... one being much "louder" (but still not obnoxious) than the other. I personally don't know if it really makes a difference. Cars are trying to kill me no matter what bike I'm on that day.

It doesn't matter how loud your bike is now-a-days, because those cages on the road are becoming more and more sound proof each year. So it doesn't even matter if I'm my pipes are loud or I'm honking my horn constantly trying to stop them from changing lanes into me, because they won't hear me until I kick the side panel of their cage.
YouTube - Toyota Corolla Badgers Super Bowl XLII Commercial

Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM

such is the ebb and flow of chat rooms.

I think loud pipes might help, but I wouldn't depend on them to make cars aware. Most of the volume is heard when you are next to or in front of a car, so they SHOULD already see you by that point. You pretty much have to drive "aggressively", not "defensively" which might seem weird to people- but a bike cannot defend against a car. I was taught S.E.E. - Search (always scanning your surroundings), Evaluate (what would happen if this car changed lanes, or that car suddenly stopped), Execute (know what you would do to avoid a collision)- which might mean speeding up, or a quick lane change. Hence, "Aggressive", not "Defensive".

Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM

P.S. Do you live in Denver Zion? Seems like pretty riding up there.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times
Yes I do live in Denver. Not riding the bikes lately with these temps we've been having, but I'm sure I'll get a few days in commuting to work before the end of the year.

The riding here really is great. I really enjoy how we're pretty centrally located and it doesn't take long to "get away from it all" and be in the middle of no-where, or in a canyon heading to some small mountain town. Coming from the east coast it was hard to get away from traffic sometimes... coming from Jersey especially, there wasn't that many roads to travel and explore (or ones you'd want to) if you only had a day. Out here there are so many, that you don't mind repeating some because it's been so long since you get back to it I lived in NC too, which was definitely better than Jersey, but still fairly limited on choices. Sometimes I do miss being able to ride through a super think forest with tons of shade though.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

That is very true. Urban sprawl has created a conflict between airports and home owners. People buy homes near an airport and then complain about the noise to the politicians. The politicians want the votes and the developers want the land so many small airports get sold. It happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver