Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
People here do drive the speed limit, often less... I really have to work on staying calm when I'm behind someone driving 35 in a 45, only to hit their brakes as they approach an intersection with a green light! I suppose they figure if they slow down enough, the light will change, and they'll be able to stop, which must be their ultimate goal, as it sure doesn't seem to be to actually get somewhere.....
I'll frequently drive under the speed limit to pressure people whom I don't want behind me to pass. If I notice a person driving aggressively, texting, braking abruptly, etc., I don't want my life in their hands, but I'm almost always in right or cruising lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM

129 posts, read 211,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I'll frequently drive under the speed limit to pressure people whom I don't want behind me to pass. If I notice a person driving aggressively, texting, braking abruptly, etc., I don't want my life in their hands, but I'm almost always in right or cruising lanes.
Well, that's cool, it's those driving under the limit, and in the left lane, that are in the wrong...

Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Well, that's cool, it's those driving under the limit, and in the left lane, that are in the wrong...
Yeah; there's a lot of that too. In the 75mph stretches, I stick to the limit, but frequently find myself behind someone doing 65. That doesn't bother me, but it seems common that when I try to pass, there's someone doing 70 in the left.

I think it goes back to a more rural version of respect for others, not that that excuses it.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-08-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
If you guys think that Denver drivers are slow, you should go spend some time in Portland or Seattle. I've never seen such slow, dazed drivers in my whole life. Being a somewhat fast driver myself, driving in the Northwest almost made me lose my sanity. Driving in Denver is like a Nascar race compared to those cities.

There are good and bad drivers everywhere, but I found found that Denver is a mix between slow drivers, moderate to fast drivers and overly-aggressive speed demons. Having so many different driving styles on the road here causes alot of overly-aggressive driving (I see alot of tailgating, cutting off and dangerous lane changes around here).

Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
If you guys think that Denver drivers are slow, you should go spend some time in Portland or Seattle. I've never seen such slow, dazed drivers in my whole life. Being a somewhat fast driver myself, driving in the Northwest almost made me lose my sanity. Driving in Denver is like a Nascar race compared to those cities.
I went to college in Portland. 4 years of driving there almost drove me insane.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
As long as you're passing somebody, it's completely appropriate to to be driving under the speed limit in the passing (what you call the left) lane. The only time you should ever be in the left lane is when actively passing a slower driver.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

181 posts, read 582,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As long as you're passing somebody, it's completely appropriate to to be driving under the speed limit in the passing (what you call the left) lane. The only time you should ever be in the left lane is when actively passing a slower driver.
In Colorado, that is only true when the speed limit is 65 or higher, which is not to say that impeding traffic in the left lane isn't illegal.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
In Colorado, that is only true when the speed limit is 65 or higher, which is not to say that impeding traffic in the left lane isn't illegal.
That's is the law. Even if the speed limit is 55-65, You still shouldn't be driving in the passing lane unless you're passing. Doing so (very often) slows down all lanes of traffic, plus that lane should be kept as open as possible for emergency vehicles.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM

181 posts, read 582,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's is the law. Even if the speed limit is 55-65, You still shouldn't be driving in the passing lane unless you're passing. Doing so (very often) slows down all lanes of traffic, plus that lane should be kept as open as possible for emergency vehicles.
Says who?

Unless the speed limit is 65 or higher, it is *not* the passing lane in Colorado.

http://www.coloradodot.info/library/...nebrochure.pdf

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Yep as a group, they're insane drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver