U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,802 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This post may seem odd but I just had to bring it up. I have lived in Colorado now for two months and I just had to comment on how crazy the drivers here are! We just moved here (the Denver area) from Minneapolis and we just can't help but notice how crazy the drivers here are. It seems like everyone's always in a hurry. Everyone drives 15 or 20 over the speed limit. Drivers cut you off out of nowhere and change lanes quickly. They ignore red lights and tailgate. I'm just curious... is this a Colorado thing or is it something people bring with them from wherever they're from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 AM

40 posts, read 185,707 times
I've personally noticed the worst driving in Colorado to be along the front range, especially in Denver. If you venture to the western slope and the more rural areas of Colorado, drivers are very curteous. I'm from Chicago and the drivers in Denver drive very similarly: they drive fast, and they're aggressive. I hear people complain about Denver drivers all the time. I think a major part of the problem here is that the Denver metro area has grown very quickly and has as a result become congested, leading to an increase in aggressive driving. People from around the country have moved here and have brought with them their driving styles. Typically, I just drive in the right or middle lane and drive 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, even though it feels like everyone is flying by me

Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 AM

14 posts, read 53,045 times
I agree... the drivers in Denver are getting really aggressive and it seems like they're getting worse... try driving the speed limit down I-25 when it's not rush hour and watch in your rear view mirror to see how many people get right on your bumper to "push" you along. I gave up on driving the speed limit years ago... I generally find myself driving between 15 or 20 over the speed limit just to keep with the flow of traffic, after all I want to make sure I don't get rear ended I've had many cops clock me speeding at least 15 or 20 over the speed limit but have never gotten pulled over because there are always people speeding past me! I think Denver drivers think that when a speed limit sign says "55" it really means "75"

Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 AM

673 posts, read 3,751,948 times
Default Denver speed of drivers: varies alot but overall not fast, except Federal

Denver has some fast drivers I will admit, but by and large Denver drivers arent fast, I would say the average Denver driver is about the same speed as anywhere else. It just varies more by street and area then most metropolitan areas.

I have also noticed it depends more on the area of the city. People drive faster down Federal Blvd (5-10 mph over) then down Peoria Blvd(5-10 mph under. East Denver tends to have the slowest drivers in the metropolitan area while West Denver along Federal has by far the fastest drivers.

Minneapolis I think has much faster drivers then Denver I remember almost getting run over several times while crossing 10th and Marquette in Downtown Minneapolis. 35W turns into 10th there. I always thought Denver drivers were far slower then Minneapolis drivers but then again maybe I spent too much time crossing 10th downtown where the interstate just ended.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
What I noticed the most in Denver was the running of red lights, and the terror of being a pedestrian in Cherry Creek North.
Be careful out there, guys.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:48 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,359,526 times
Up until the late 1960's, Colorado drivers were notoriously "slow". They believed they had as much "right" to use a lane to drive as they pleased as any other vehicle on the road, so it wasn't uncommon for a left-hand lane car to be going 5-10-15 mph below the speed limit and the driver stubbornly refusing to yield to faster traffic in the highway, especially on mountain roads (I-70) or even I25 through Denver and South to CSprings (Floyd Hill area).

More annoying, still, is their inability to maintain a steady cruise speed on rolling hills, say I25 North to Fort Collins ... they'll get up to 75 mph going downhill, but slow 5-10-15 mph as the road climbs. In their view, they're going 75, right? How dare you criticize their fine driving skills by wanting to go faster and trying to pass them!!!!

A lot of that driving attitude was reinforced by the Colorado State Patrol, who wouldn't ticket a slow vehicle for obstructing traffic, a 4 point violation, but would ticket the driver who passed the slow vehicle and had to go a bit over the speed limit to safely pass in a limited sight/distance opportunity.

In the 1970's, as people moved into the state from areas where people drove faster, the speeds picked up and the CSP started to write obstructing traffic tickets to very slow movers in the left hand lane. In the interest of safe traffic flow, CSP allowed a "tolerance" over the speed limit ... you'd rarely get a citation for going 3 mph over the limit, and CSP became more interested in traffic safety than pure speed enforcement. Which means traffic moving smoothly at 5-10 over the speed limit may be allowed to go on while the CSP looks for the driver who has to weave faster through the good flowing traffic, disrupting the flow ... he's the fellow that may cause an accident and they want that stopped.

Colorado has adjacent states that strictly enforce a zero tolerance for over the speed limit, NE and KS. You'll find that most of those drivers go 5 mph indicated below the speed limit just to be "safe", and many cars read "fast" on the speedo. The net result is a lot of those folks actually drive between 5-10 mph slower than the posted limit. That influenced Colorado drivers for many years, too, to drive a bit more slowly.

Flatlanders also cause a lot of traffic frustration here. Watch the reaction of people from low altitude and not a lot of mountain roads try to go up I70's hill's. They're terrified at the thought of the turns and passes and the 6% grades ... nothing more difficult than they have back home in places, but it's now at high altitude and they don't realize that they've got to downshift and use more gas pedal than they do at home. It's pretty overwhelming for them; I have cousins who drive NYCity with impunity who are terrified to drive past Georgetown at 60 mph, let alone the Eisenhower tunnel approaches at 50 mph .... they might fall off the mountain!!!

The problem now is not enough roads to handle the traffic volume, so the perceived way for many drivers to get someplace in a timely manner is to go as quickly as possible (without getting caught). With modern cars' handling & power ... that can be rather fast, well over the speed limit. So, if you're not inclined to drive that fast, it's best for you to head for the right hand lanes and let the law do their job re speeders ... as you've observed, they may look favorably upon folks driving well over the posted speed limit.

Discourteous drivers abound everywhere I drive in the USA, NW, West Coast, Texas, SE (try FL heading St Pete to Naples!!!). You've got to be pro-active about your safety ... which means always leaving an out for yourself and, IMO, simply yielding to the idiots who can't signal their intentions in a timely manner, or who think that cutting you off makes some sort of statement about their superior driving skills. Tailgaters? no problem, I'll yield for them and give them all the room they need to pass me and find another "victim" of their aggression ... and give myself more room behind the vehicle in front of me.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-02-2007 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM

431 posts, read 2,564,140 times
One of the main reasons I dislike the Denver area so much is the drivers. They are so rude and hateful. Let someone like me that does not drive those crazy places, hesitate, and they give you the finger etc. Those same people you met personally are nothing like that at all. Why they are Jekyll and Hyde's, I don't know. But to be fair. Anywhere there is traffic congestion, we are beginning to see this---road rage???? As to the speeders. They seem to be everywhere. I guess they don't consider it as a crime (and it is)or they can't read . Then when they kill someone ----it was only an accident! Yea right! I think Denver probably is the worse, as to the rudeness in Co. Speeders are everywhere. As to running lights. A good example is---I was driving with my grandson who was getting ready to take his first driving test. As we approached a light, it turn yellow. I asked him what that meant. "hurry up, it is going to turn red" That seems to be the belief. I have been honked at and given the finger, window rolled down, called an old broad, to get off the streets etc. Just because I stopped at a yellow light in Denver. Nope I don't like even trying to drive thro the place. To see professional hockey or soccer , I take the tram.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Minneapolis drivers are widely considered to be slow, like Cleveland drivers. You guys have a rough time in Atlanta, Chicago, and Detroit.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 AM

147 posts, read 560,978 times
I agree, Denver drivers are some of the worst! I have lived in the Denver area for over 25 years now and have seen the traffic and drivers get progessively worse. My guess too, is that so many people have moved in from around the country with their different driving styles that there is no consistent driving standard. There are the tailgaters, the no-turn-signal users, the speeders, the red light runners, etc. Driving in Denver has really become a nightmare, even after all the money spent on T-Rex. It seems like police have begun to just look the other way. What a great source of revenue it would be to the city to ticket the careless and aggressive drivers we have!!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 AM

70 posts, read 296,010 times
Must be all the crazy SoCal drivers who relocate to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or