Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 26,943 times

Advertisements

Again like I stated earlier, the national weather service temps are taken at the airport, which is somewhat colder than the rest of the city. The proof is in the pictures, I'ved lived hear 47 years, so I've seen theses palms grow here for years. Look at the sunset western garden book, for the climate data.

Last edited by native new mexican; 08-27-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Denver goes below zero or close to it , every winter, ABQ almost never does. Albuquerque is much warmer than Denver in the winter time, I know that for a fact.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM

ZONE 10: High desert areas of Arizona and New Mexico
This zone consists mostly of the 3,300- to 5,000-foot elevations in parts of Arizona and New Mexico. It also includes parts of southern Utah and Nevada, and adjacent California desert. Zone 10 has a definite winter season—75 to more than 100 nights below 32°F (0°C).That favors deciduous fruits, though late frosts can work against apricot crops. In Albuquerque,New Mexico, and Benson and Kingman, Arizona, average winter minimums range from 32 to 23°F (0 to –5°C). Lows of 25 to 22°F (–4 to –6°C) often come in.The cold winter season calls for spring planting. Growing seasons are very long—up to 225 days. More rain falls in the east than in the west, and the Pecos River drainage receives more precipitation in summer than in winter.
This climate zone shares similarities with its neighbors—the cold-winter Zones 1, 2, and 3, and the subtropical low desert, Zone 13. Like Zones 1 to 3, Zone 11 has cold winters, and like Zone 13, it has hot summers. Hot summer days are followed by mild nights; near-freezing winter nights are followed by daytime temperatures near 60°F (16°C).On average, there are 110 summer days above 90°F (32°C),with the highest temperatures recorded between 111 and 117°F (44 to 47°C).About 85 nights have temperatures below 32°F (0°C),with lows between 11 and 0°F (–12 to –18°C). If soil moisture is inadequate, the characteristic winds and bright sunlight may combine to dry out normally hardy evergreen plants, killing or badly injuring them.

|Source, 'Sunset Western Garden Book'

Last edited by native new mexican; 08-27-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM

This is a zone that offers a good balance of long, warm summers and chilly winters, making it an excellent climate zone for commercial fruit growing. That’s why you’ll find orchards in this zone in almost every state in the West.You’ll also find this warm-summer, snowy-winter climate along Colorado’s Western Slope and mild parts of the Front Range; in Nevada from Reno to Fallon, then north to Lovelock; in large areas of northern Arizona and New Mexico; and in mild parts of the Columbia and Snake River basins. Winter temperatures are milder than in neighboring Zone 2a, minimums averaging from 12 to 22°F (–11 to –6°C),with extremes in the –10 to –20°F (–23 to –29°C) range. The growing season here in Zone 2b runs from 115 days in higher elevations and more northerly areas to more than 160 days in southeastern Colorado ZONE 2B: Warmer-summer intermountain climate , (Denver) Source 'Sunset Western Garden Book'

Old 08-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Appearantly that "26 minutes", makes a big difference.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native new mexican View Post
Appearantly that "26 minutes", makes a big difference.
Uh... I don't know what your quoting, but somebody else must have made up their own zones! Los Angeles is ZONE 10! It DOES NOT get to the 20s in LA on average. I went with the USDA hardiness zones:

http://www.crimson-sage.com/images/usda-zone-map.jpgh

Try that link and see that zone 10 is only south TX/FL and coastal SoCal and Albuquerque is in zone 6 or 7.

Sorry, but Albuquerque is not the tropics. A nice climate for sure, but not tropical. Or near the tropics.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM

I'm not saying it's the tropics, or near the tropics. I posted my remarks for informational purposes, not to get criticism. Sorry but your missinterpeting what I'm saying. Sunset climate zones: New Mexico - Sunset.com

Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native new mexican View Post
I'm not saying it's the tropics, or near the tropics. I posted my remarks for informational purposes, not to get criticism. Sorry but your missinterpeting what I'm saying. Sunset climate zones: New Mexico - Sunset.com
I think the confusion is that you're using this Sunset.com to determine zones when I use USDA zones. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe the USDA zones are more commonly used.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM

It dosen't nessarialy need to be the USDA climate zone info to be considered accurate, although thats what most people go by. This company goes more indepth about gardening and climate analysis , and plant hardiness etc. They have been publishing gardening books for years, so they have a reputaion to uphold, if they want to sell their books, and have any credibility.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 47,260 times
I have lived in both cities, I have seen the palms in ABQ and surprisingly, they survive, ABQ weather feels to cold for palms at night but ABQ weather feels much more mild and consistant than the winter weather of Denver, that is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver