U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2008, 04:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,526,838 times

Advertisements

It seems I recall hearing the word 'Montbello' on this forum and none of it was 'good'. Is Montbello a town, neighborhood or what? Here you will see the neighborhood is called Green Valley Ranch and the zoned HS is 'Montbello'. Please give some important input about this information! Is this not a nice area?? Looking at the map of where the house is located, it seems to be in mid to NE Denver, north of Aurora and east of Commerce City....thanks and here's more specific information.

Here is the address: 19155 E 39th Ave DENVER, Colorado 80249

The subdivision area states: GREEN VALLEY RANCH FILING 33

Directions to the home are: 1-70 TO TOWER RD, NORTH ON TOWER RD TO E 38TH AVE, EAST ON E 38TH AVE TO WINDSOR, NORTH ON WINDSOR TO E 39TH AVE, WEST ON E 39TH AVE TO PROPERTY.

The schools are:
Elementary School: MARRAMA (6300)
Middle School:MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. (6820)
High School:MONTBELLO (6950
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,988,720 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montbello,_Denver

Bad depends on how you judge things. GVR and Montbello have higher crime than average, bad schools and a high forclosure rate. These are facts that some people will attempt to argue, against all reason and with their eyes closed.

However the area might be for you. Who knows.

I would suggest driving around and taking a look. I believe maps.google.com should have some of the streets mapped out with their street view option too.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:17 PM

9,292 posts, read 12,455,303 times
Hey twowolves, please search the threads for Green Valley Ranch. I've written a ton of information about it. Even though I don't live there, I do find myself in the area occasionally. There are VERY CONFLICTING opinions of the area.

Montbello is an appendaged neighborhood of Denver, as is GVR. (Appendaged meaning, that they kind of "stick out" of Denver proper.). My office just moved to Montbello, and I've found myself exploring the neighborhood a bit more. It does live up to its reputation, but I have been surprised at just how much of it is newer, and not all that "bad" looking. However, many of the older homes do have the typical bars on windows, wrought iron and chain link fences, and trash in the front yards. However, there are worse neighborhoods around the metro IMO.

GVR is zoned to Montbello High School. GVR will build its own HS, eventually (they do have a site set aside for it). Montbello HS looks very nice from the outside, but like they say, looks can be deceiving. A former or current student/parent would have to let us know one way or the other.

If I had no other choice, I'd live in either neighborhood. It all depends on perspective and past experience IMO.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 PM

104 posts, read 190,280 times
Montbello is about as ghetto as it gets for the Denver area, imo. Even still, it's not deep ghetto, justsuperficial ghetto. I work in this area every day. I don't get depressedas a rule, but if I had to live in a home in Montbello, having to co-mingle with the low class residentsof the area every day would eventually depress me. GVR is much much different in that it isall newer-built, not only the homes, but the infrastructure and business, such as grocery stores, etc. It sounds good on paper, but having explored much of GVR in my car and taken notes of my impressions, I do not think I would want to live there either. The high foreclosure rates mean that prices have dipped drastically. You can find a big, newer home for 120K. But these lower prices also bring in lower income people. In many of the houses I rode by, I saw 5, 6, 7 cars parked out front.This indicates to me that the house probably occupies multiple families of lowerincome people, even though the cars they drive are seemingly Escalades and Suburbans.The houses themselves are very close together. Riding through the streets, it almostfeels like I'm on a Hollywood movie set. Everything is so close together. It doesn't look real, much like the feeling one gets when watching The Truman Show. These are just my impresssions of GVR. NOt much good to say except the housing appears newer.Whether or not it is quality built is another question.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 AM

9 posts, read 24,574 times
As a former resident of Montbello (1989-2002) and Green Valley Ranch (2002-2007), I have had about 17-18 years in the zip code and have experienced these areas firsthand, I even graduated from Montbello High School. Of the two, it might surprise some to know that I enjoyed living in Montbello much more than in Green Valley Ranch. Montbello gets a bad wrap, but speaking as an African-american person and an observer of local media, the bad wrap is due to a high minority population and local bias surrounding that. For every bad event that takes place in Montbello there are so many more active community members who put so much time and effort into their area and recieve little kudos or recgonition.

Growing up, Montbello high school organized neighborhood cleanups, graffiti taskforces, and other valuble neighborhood services. The united northeast neighbors is the neighborhood organization which serves the far northeast corridor (GVR, Parkfield, Montbello) and they have been in place since I can remember. Call me clouded or silly or whatever you want, but I lived in the area for a good portion of my life I always enjoyed it.

Gentrification of the LODO and surrounding areas is the real culprit, which in the late 1990's and early to mid 2000s pushed poverty east into montbello, GVR, and north and southeast aurora. The areas arent as bad as they are percieved to be and the Denver post recently actually found that GVR and montbello have lower crime rates than most of the city, but again a little pigment in the people tends to cloud the media and thus the masses.

You dont always have to believe everything you read or think.....

Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM

20 posts, read 18,848 times
I am still waiting to see / experience crime in Green Valley Ranch. Also I have yet to see these bunches of vehicles parked outside of a single house indicating several family members live in one house.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,988,720 times
Quote:
I am still waiting to see / experience crime in Green Valley Ranch. Also I have yet to see these bunches of vehicles parked outside of a single house indicating several family members live in one house.
Yes, the statistics and every post by those of us that point out the higher than average crime are just make believe; in fact we do it just to make you mad.

I don't know how you could possibly miss the multiple families living at one residence in Montbello, Aurora, hell all over Denver. This is a very common practice among certain nationalities and is readily evident all over the place.

I have a friend who lives with her husband, her child, her mother and father, an aunt and uncle and another person in a 1 bedroom apartment. That's 8 people in a 1 bedroom and I don't recall ever having heard any of them complain about it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 AM

59 posts, read 127,692 times
For me personally, I would not move to that area (school district) if I had school aged children. There are other schools I would prefer my children to attend. If it was just me, I have no issues with the area.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 3,130,663 times
I'm casually house hunting and I've looked at a few places out there, but I don't think I would live there either. I'm not looking to flip a house, but I worry that if I ever had to move for some reason, it would be VERY hard to sell for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. It's a shame, too, because there are some great deals out there, but I just don't think it will work for me personally.

I'd say have a look for yourself and decide based on that.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,023 times
Default Take it from me

Im from East St Louis which is like as bad as it gets, its probably the most dangerous place in America, and I have been all over Denver, montbello is bad, if your a cute little white suburbanite I would not suggest living there, but Green Valley Ranch is across the highway from montbello, and there is about a mile of open space between montbello and GVR, Green Valley Ranch is a cute little suburb area, it just has had problems with the people from Montbello coming over an robbing the homes, but your chances of getting robbed are like 1 in 500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver