Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times

Advertisements

One thing I find amusing is how backwards some taxation laws are.... like this:
Adams County sales tax (Due only if purchased from another Adams County resident or a dealer located in Adams County.) 0.75%
So... if I live in Adams County and I try to support my local businesses by buying my next car at the dealership in the same town I live in instead of going to JeffCo or something... they are going to tax me an extra 3/4%. How stupid is that? yeah... so 0.75% on $20k is only $150 ($190 after it's lumped into your car loan over the next 5 years).... but why tax people more for buying locally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times
thanks. I just talked to a woman at the Arapahoe county tag office. She said the amt is determined by:
1. vehicle weight
2. vehicle year
3. vehicle price when bought

example:
a 2009 Chevy truck costing $25k would be about $561 for the first year.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
That's why I say screw the dealerships and buy private. Then your bill of sale can be, well, less than what you actually paid. It is dumb the way Adams runs it's taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
One thing I find amusing is how backwards some taxation laws are.... like this:
Adams County sales tax (Due only if purchased from another Adams County resident or a dealer located in Adams County.) 0.75%
So... if I live in Adams County and I try to support my local businesses by buying my next car at the dealership in the same town I live in instead of going to JeffCo or something... they are going to tax me an extra 3/4%. How stupid is that? yeah... so 0.75% on $20k is only $150 ($190 after it's lumped into your car loan over the next 5 years).... but why tax people more for buying locally?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
That's why I say screw the dealerships and buy private. Then your bill of sale can be, well, less than what you actually paid. It is dumb the way Adams runs it's taxes.
I can not endorse any such illegal activity. But I did get an incredible deal on my new motorcycle

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter if you purchase private or from a dealer. Registration is based off of the "original purchase price" and goes down each year from that. So, if you buy a used vehicle today, the price you paid for it makes no difference on the registration...only the taxes.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
yes, this is what I though, also. my sister bought a car on ebay, she still paid the tags on the original price of the car, not what the seller listed it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
It doesn't matter if you purchase private or from a dealer. Registration is based off of the "original purchase price" and goes down each year from that. So, if you buy a used vehicle today, the price you paid for it makes no difference on the registration...only the taxes.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Denverian, isn't the Prius a hybrid?? They should be offering total discounts for that. I know you can get a tax deduction if you meet their various loopholes. That's insane to have to pay that much. The people in the Ford F-50's, double-wide, extra-wide, double-cab thingies need to be paying through the nose. Then perhaps they wouldn't be running out and buying them so much.
That's what I thought. I do get a tax credit when I file next month though. I believe it goes down substantially after the first year or two though.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
That's kinda what I meant Zion. I've thought for a long time that's how things should be. And the people who buy the older, economic cars need to be rewarded. Even more for those of us that utilize mass transit.

So what's the first thing they are thinking of? omg I can't wait to be king of the road? Does the price of gas ever enter their mind, or the cost to repair the ginormous things??
I definitely figured gas into the cost. The only reason I got a new car was because two baby seats and a twin stroller wouldn't fit in my old car. I considered a minivan, which I could have found used for the same price as the Prius, but they got about half the gas mileage, and I discovered a Prius has a big back seat that easily holds baby seats and the stroller fit in the hatchback, so it was a more logical choice.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
I can not endorse any such illegal activity. But I did get an incredible deal on my new motorcycle
I worked at the DMV years ago, and we were told to question it if a private sale had a really low amount, like $5 for a 3 year old car. Then we would look up the blue book value and charge tax on it. But if someone had bought a '74 Pinto for $5, no one would question it

And if I remember correctly, you can give a car to an immediate relative (mom, dad, son, daughter, spouse) and be exempt from any sales tax, unless you're gay and give it to your partner - then you're taxed on the blue book value

Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
It's always mattered to me as when you purchase from a private seller, the buy/sell agreement is between the two of you. Many sellers will often knock down the price on the Bill of Sale, the DMV has no idea what you actually paid. Try it sometime. The dealers do not alter the bill of sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver