U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 16,488 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are really stuck between Denver and Boulder. We are planning to move end of summer 2009 as my husband will be attending Naropa in Boulder. We have two small children and are looking to rent a modest house. We are from huge cities (Chicago and LA) and really need a break, hence Boulder and the foothills are very appealing, however, Denver is still relatively small in comparison to what we've been living in thus far.

We are a bit scared of the college kid vibe in Boulder - however we know that plenty of families make happy homes there - thoughts??? Also it seems like Boulder Heights is much less expensive than being in the city - we are open (and kind of like the idea) of being in a quiet mountain area with easy access to the city - anybody have any input on this as well, including other areas that might fit the bill? In terms of Denver - we are still considering it as our work might translate there just because of a larger population to pull from (husband is studying to be a therapist and I'm a natural childbirth instructor/doula). Again, these jobs must exist in Boulder - but will we be forever starving there??

Any input is much appreciated - we are really stuck here!!!!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM

25 posts, read 42,670 times
Finding your old thread and wondering, Mama...what did you decide???

Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 AM

44 posts, read 109,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smary75 View Post
In terms of Denver - we are still considering it as our work might translate there just because of a larger population to pull from (husband is studying to be a therapist and I'm a natural childbirth instructor/doula). Again, these jobs must exist in Boulder - but will we be forever starving there??

!!!

There may be many qualified professionals in these fields (in Boulder) in which you may be competing against. There may be more (and possibly better paying) jobs and less competition in Denver area. Keep this in mind. I can't say for sure but its something I suspect.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,358,762 times
I think The Hopper is really on to something there. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but both of those fields are gonna be already very, very crowded in Boulder (and also in Denver but not as much).

Rents in Boulder and Denver are pretty much the same. Boulder is a much, much nicer place to live in my opinion (by a factor of like 100x or more). I know the area very well. Denver is also chock fulla students, BTW.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,018 times
I know this post is way old, but I have to disagree with POhd. We lived in Boulder for five years, and the city is literally half students. Everyone who lives there (who are not students) comments on how nice the city is during the summer. And it's true. We are actually planning on moving to Denver in March, so we'll see if it's full of students as well. Denver just seems bigger and is more diverse. And I'm pretty sure that rent in Denver is cheaper than Boulder. Boulder housing is REALLY expensive unless you find a great deal or live outside the city. Boulder is pretty, but we grew tired of the rich people and students. I hope you like it if you choose to live there. We're moving on.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Boulder housing and Denver housing are roughly equivalent in price, for comparable homes. The difference is that there's much less lower end housing in Boulder.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:32 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,358,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldy View Post
I know this post is way old, but I have to disagree with POhd. We lived in Boulder for five years, and the city is literally half students. Everyone who lives there (who are not students) comments on how nice the city is during the summer. And it's true. We are actually planning on moving to Denver in March, so we'll see if it's full of students as well. Denver just seems bigger and is more diverse. And I'm pretty sure that rent in Denver is cheaper than Boulder. Boulder housing is REALLY expensive unless you find a great deal or live outside the city. Boulder is pretty, but we grew tired of the rich people and students. I hope you like it if you choose to live there. We're moving on.
Hey, I could live in Denver myself but let's get real poldy ! You're making this move for financial reasons it seems. What it boils down to is this:

Boulder (and all it's super-cool unique features and immediate surroundings) vs. A big sprawling smelly run-down glorified slum (Denver) sitting way out on the flat prairie.

It's sorta like Malibu versus Downey IMHO!

No dice!!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,519,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Hey, I could live in Denver myself but let's get real poldy ! You're making this move for financial reasons it seems. What it boils down to is this:

Boulder (and all it's super-cool unique features and immediate surroundings) vs. A big sprawling smelly run-down glorified slum (Denver) sitting way out on the flat prairie.

No dice!!
I've lived in Malibu and I've lived in Boulder. Believe me, Boulder is nothing like Malibu.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
If you think Denver is a huge sprawling slum, you haven't seen much of it.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,019,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

No dice!!
All these comparisons are way off Boulder is NOTHING like Malibu..and Denver is far from a glorified slum on the prarie..In fact the Denver area boasts the most expensive neighborhoods on the front range.. places like Cherry Creek,Hilltop,adjacent Cherry Hills and Greenwood Village ect.are full of$$$ Places not quite as pricey .Platte Park,Capital Hill, Baker,Uptown ect. are all excellent areas of town with fairly low over all crime rates. I have lived in and own property in both cities. Yes, Boulder is a very nice place to call home, but so is most of Denver and surroundings.. The so called slums or truly rough areas make up rather narrow sections of Denver...It often comes down more to lifestyle than COL between the two.. From the way you make it sound ..I guess I'm very lucky I have never been shot in Denver.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-19-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver