U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

104 posts, read 258,004 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that the closest population to Northfield is Commerce City.But I have always thought Commerce City was considered the least desirable partof the Denver metro area, and I would be surprised if developers wouldplan a beautiful new shopping center for this part of town. But What otherparts of town would they pull from? Thornton is too far North, and it already hasan abundance of shopping for their residence. There doesn't seem tobe much a population base for Northfield outside of Commerce City inmy estimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 PM

91 posts, read 301,114 times
Denver. Northfield is actually part of the Stapleton redevelopment, but it draws people from all over Denver.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Seems like a long, inconvenient drive from most places in Denver. I thought perhapsthey had a more specific target in mind. I suppose you're right. Do you think thisshopping center will make Commerce City more desirable as a place to live?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,043,653 times
It is called Northfield Stapleton for a reason -- right there on the signs even.

I doubt anything outside of cheap prices could make Commerce City an attractive place to live -- and even that has limits.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM

10,913 posts, read 29,411,953 times
It is also south of Dick's Soccer fields. It has the Bass Pro shop, drawing outdoorsmen & women from all over - conveniently located off of I-70 & Quebec.

I go there, once or twice a year, and I live in HR. I also went to the Mile High Music Fest and parked at Northfield.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 AM

[quote=steveindenver;6729166]It is called Northfield Stapleton for a reason -- right there on the signs even.
Don't get smart

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,767,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
It seems to me that the closest population to Northfield is Commerce City.But I have always thought Commerce City was considered the least desirable partof the Denver metro area, and I would be surprised if developers wouldplan a beautiful new shopping center for this part of town. But What otherparts of town would they pull from? Thornton is too far North, and it already hasan abundance of shopping for their residence. There doesn't seem tobe much a population base for Northfield outside of Commerce City inmy estimation.
I think this is actually an interesting question. Clearly, the developer wants to play off the cache of Stapleton. Stapleton is certainly a lucrative area from which to mine shoppers, but it's probably not enough to support Northfield alone. In fact, "Stapleton" is something of an island inside Denver. While I love Stapleton, its immediate neighbors, especially on the north side of I-70, are unlikely to generate a lot of well-heeled shoppers. As the OP pointed out, Commerce City is largely a lower income area.

I've been at Northfield a few times, and I of course have no way of knowing where the people come from -- but I'm guessing a good portion of Northfield's shopping clients come from North and Central Aurora, plus Green Valley Ranch in Denver (which is much like an extension of Aurora). The old Aurora Mall seems to be in a perpetual spiral of decline, and the new Southlands mall, despite being in Aurora, is too remote to replace its traffic. So, I'm guessing that perhaps Northfield has successfully picked up much of Aurora Mall's former shopping traffic.

I could be wrong; I'd be interested in hearing other points of view on this.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM

402 posts, read 1,135,430 times
I've been there a couple times, but mainly just to meet a friend for a beer and it makes a good middle point for us to meet. I also used the word 'couple' instead of 'few' intentionally. I live on the far east side of Thornton, just on the other side of I76 from the northwest corner of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, so I'm only 10 miles away, but I continually forget that it's even an option when I need to buy something.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,295,360 times
Living in Stapleton, I go to the Northfield Target at least once per week. I'll use that Macy's too, but it's sort of a "lower level" Macys, and the one at Cherry Creek has a lot more inventory and higher end merchandise. We also go to the restaurants there maybe once a month and shop at a few of the smaller stores. They probably pull from Park Hill as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:19 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,488,511 times
Having only visted Denver and Northfield but not lived there, I have to point out that one of the reasons I visited Northfield was, aside from the fact a concert was being held there at the time, it is part of a cutting edge trend of Town Center style shopping centers, otherwise knows as Lifestyle Centers. It is a departure from the normal mall by offering an outdoors feel. And in Denver, where people move to ENJOY the outdoors, it is a fitting thing to have.

The point is that when you look around the metro area, you have Belmar in Lakewood for the southwest metro, you have Southlands in Aurora for the southeast metro, you have Westminster Promenade/Shops at Walnut Creek in Westminster for the northwest metro, and then there is Northfield Stapleton for the northeast metro, northern parts of Aurora, and downtown area. You have to remember a lifestyle center with an outdoor feel is not an indoor mall. The concert at Northfield proved that to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver