Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM

60 posts, read 171,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking a place to rent around Irving St & W 17th Ave, Denver, CO 80204, west of the Broncos Stadium. From Google Street view the area looks kind of ghetto, but sometimes that can be misleading. Do you know anything about this area? Thanks in advance. Yall is great.

Last edited by South'n_Boy; 12-14-2008 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: added map link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM

Anyone? ...Beuller?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
You could look at the crime maps on the City and County of Denver's website and that might help you decide.

I can't really comment because I don't know anyone who lives over there.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:55 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
It is not a great area. We don't have any slums but this is not the best that can be found. If you are north of Sloan's Lake you would do better. West Colfax, which is 15th, is not the best at Irving and just on the other side, Irving and 13th can get real bad.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
It is a mainly hispanic area for a few blocks around there and up/down Federal; the local stores support that population.

It is not dangerous and I can't speak to the crime as it relates to other areas because I don't have the statistics. My wife worked in that area from 00-05 and never had an issue.

The only thing that I can recall out of the ordinary was a guy in front of her who plowed into another car at an intersection, got out and started running.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM

haha, well that sounds normal.

I found some stats and thought I'd share. These are links to crime in the "West Colfax" area- which is where the rental property was, and also one of the Washington Park area, purely for comparison sake.

West Colfax: http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/8wcolf.pdf (broken link)
Wash Park: http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/337/documents/8washpk.pdf (broken link)

You're looking at 807 crime incidents in W. Colfax v. 258 for Wash Park. in 2008. Good food for thought.

Thanks for the input guys, I really do appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
I grew up on the westside of Denver and use to go the the Boys Club of Denver at 16th and Irving. My neighborhood that I lived it was a few miles west and 1/2 mile south and not bad but where the Boys Club was, it made a kid grow up fast. Learned how to box, wrestle and cuss with inner city kids. Dad, a marine, loved that I was learning self defense, but mom was horrified by my new love for cussing and the variations as to which the words were used. I can recall my dad trying not to laugh while trying to scold me.

Please feel free to ask about other areas of town should you find more rental options. I now live in the Governor's Park section of Capitol Hill. Many renting options on the Hill.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Ok, I'm looking at another place near Pennsylvania and Harvard, down in Englewood. Seems nice from the pictures. I'd prefer a place closer to downtown, but this property works well for me for different reasons (fenced in yard for dog, garage for bike, etc. etc.). It's hard getting all my needs in one place so I'm willing to live a little further out, for now at least.

Can anyone offer some insight on this area? Thanks as always.

Last edited by South'n_Boy; 01-01-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: map link

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
I know a guy who lives down the street from that. We ***** about the traffic when we head that way; he does the same on his commute downtown -- but if you can catch it at the right hour it is not a bad commute downtown, somewhat close to light rail and not a bad area at all (albeit close to one).

By the way, tons of interesting stuff on Broadway in that area and north.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South'n_Boy View Post
Ok, I'm looking at another place near Pennsylvania and Harvard, down in Englewood. Seems nice from the pictures. I'd prefer a place closer to downtown, but this property works well for me for different reasons (fenced in yard for dog, garage for bike, etc. etc.). It's hard getting all my needs in one place so I'm willing to live a little further out, for now at least.

Can anyone offer some insight on this area? Thanks as always.

This is a great area. It's a short walk to Harvard Gulch park which is a very nice park with walking trails, a rec center, a pool and a small city owned golf course. It's walking distance to downtown Englewood which has restaurants, shops, grocery stores, a library, bowling, live music and light rail (which can get you downtown quickly and easily). It's a short bike ride to the Platt Park and the DU areas which also have restaurants, parks, bars, etc.

ETA; Check out the sticky at the top of the forum (key threads index) and you'll find a photo tour of Englewood and Platt park.

Last edited by Dorthy; 01-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: ETA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver