U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,318,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolife View Post
Has anyone had any success with veggies in container gardening? I'm starting my first garden this year....
I changed to container gardening in the 90's, and never went back.
I would start my tomatoes very, very early in May, in fairly good-sized pots, with herbs and stuff growing along with them.
If frost (or worse) threatened, I would move them into the house or garage for a night or two.
This worked very well, if it was a bit back-breaking when I had to move the stuff.
I also grew lettuce, peppers, bush beans and eggplant in pots.
Having tomatoes in pots was also helpful when hail came, because I could scoot them under the roof. Of course, by the end of summer, the plants are huge, and need support. But container growing worked well for me--still does here in north Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 AM

619 posts, read 1,369,360 times
So....anyone planting yet? I'm going with several raised beds ala square foot gardening. Heading out to go the supplies today or tomorrow. Soooo ready for spring to stick!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM

68,554 posts, read 57,152,988 times
DH planted peas in March, they are up about 4" now. He just built them a little enclosure with a net for them to climb on. They will cost a lot more than peas from the grocery store, but oh, well.

In another couple weeks or so, we'll plant the tomato starts, the corn/beans/pumpkins in late May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver